Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boosted board or similar in ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

robnet77 wrote: »
    If one builds their own custom board, wouldn't it be possible to tweak it so that it requires an initial push by foot?

This would allow the board not to be considered a motorised vehicle, I guess?

If the board keeps going without your effort then no.

Cops aren't interested anyway. Does it really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

beauf wrote: »
    If the board keeps going without your effort then no.

I'm not sure you are right on this.

Anyway, the gardai may not care today, but what if an accident occurs? One thing is that insurance is not required, a whole different story if it turns out one was riding without a mandatory insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If one builds their own custom board, wouldn't it be possible to tweak it so that it requires an initial push by foot?

This would allow the board not to be considered a motorised vehicle, I guess?

the exemption applies specifically to eBikes only (and mobility scooters I guess) - other that that if it has a motor, it's a motor vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

beauf wrote: »

Until you hit somebody. Then the charges pile up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check your home insurance too. Lots of house fires have been attributed to the exploding batteries in cheapo ones.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the exemption applies specifically to eBikes only (and mobility scooters I guess) - other that that if it has a motor, it's a motor vehicle.

About 10 years ago I bought an electric scooter in a Dublin shop.

The law, back then, said that if a vehicle's max speed was up to 25 km/h, then it didn't require insurance.

I wonder whether this exemption is still valid, as it would apply to many electric skateboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The law, back then, said that if a vehicle's max speed was up to 25 km/h, then it didn't require insurance.
    This specifically refers to ped-elecs - electric pedal cycles with motor assistance. The motor stops if you stop pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sebatron3 wrote: »
    The Gardai in Cork are fairly relaxed so far. I've done 140 miles on it since I got my Boosted in January. I think theres a grey area around electronic skateboards and scooters etc. regarding road use. As long as you're careful and don't do the bollux they'll leave you alone (in Cork anyway). I imagine this will change as these things get more popular and cheaper and theres more people on the road.

There is no grey area. A lack of enforcement is not a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Guys who already bought the boosted board, can you point out where to get them please? Preferably from the EU. Thanks

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    This specifically refers to ped-elecs - electric pedal cycles with motor assistance. The motor stops if you stop pedalling.

It was an electric scooter which did not require pedalling.

...Anyway there is a video I saw on youtube a couple of days ago where the guy receives confirmation from the gardai that electric scooters are legal in Ireland, check it out!

...Anyway there is a video I saw on youtube a couple of days ago where the guy receives confirmation from the gardai that electric scooters are legal in Ireland, check it out!

They are legal in Ireland just not on roads and paths.

Good luck telling a Garda YouTube said it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It was an electric scooter which did not require pedalling.

The traffic corps (RPU now) have come out and made it clear, only legal to be used in private property. Otherwise its an undocumented mechanically propelled vehicle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyway there is a video I saw on youtube a couple of days ago
    it's a good thing videos on youtube now form the basis for irish law.

Advertisement