Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should landlord give notice of when he will call to cut lawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Windows have curtains.

Not always and usually open in the daytime. If we knew the ll was coming we could ensure they were closed.

Had one landlord who was so nosy that when we closed the gates off, he would walk across his field behind the house and try to peer in through the kitchen windows. As these were low, all we saw was these legs going past... So yes curtains..

Private enjoyment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If my landlord came peering in the windows on the QT all he would see would be me in the nip having some "private enjoyment" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yes of course he should give some notice out of courtesy, it's not an unreasonable request. I think landlords sometimes forget this is someone's home - would he be happy with someone turning up announced in his back garden when his wife is alone at home?

Better he doesn't knock on the door - a text with at least 24 hours notice I would say.

I'm really fed up with amateur landlords and their half-arsed approach to professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

hmmm wrote: »
    Yes of course he should give some notice out of courtesy, it's not an unreasonable request. I think landlords sometimes forget this is someone's home - would he be happy with someone turning up announced in his back garden when his wife is alone at home?

Better he doesn't knock on the door - a text with at least 24 hours notice I would say.

I'm really fed up with amateur landlords and their half-arsed approach to professionalism.

Texting 24-hour's ahead is nonsense. It might rain, the landlord might have other activities and can only company gets the chance. He may well not know 24 hours prior that is going to be coming. If he had to keep giving 24-hour's notice and failed to show up the garden could end up not being cut at all. What has a tenant got to hide that they can't have the landlord glancing in a window during daylight hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

What's the problem with just texting the evening before and saying "weather permitting"

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    What's the problem with just texting the evening before and saying "weather permitting"

Because when the weather does permit he will have to text ahead and therefore can't take advantage of the opportunity that the weather now permits the cutting of the lawn. The landlord will have to text every evening saying he's coming in the morning weather permitting so that when eventually the weather does permit he can go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hmmm wrote: »

You are right , it’s some ones home. They should be cutting their own grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Yep,100% should give notice. If he is planning on cutting it that evening send a text that morning to see if it's allright, if he is planning on cutting in the morning send a text the night before.

Nothing worse knowing that someone could appear around your property at any time.

People saying the landlord should not be doing but if he is happy doing it what's the harm.

Because when the weather does permit he will have to text ahead and therefore can't take advantage of the opportunity that the weather now permits the cutting of the lawn. The landlord will have to text every evening saying he's coming in the morning weather permitting so that when eventually the weather does permit he can go there.

Making a mountain out of a moehill here to be honest.

No I'm thinking that a tenant not wanting the landlord coming cutting the grass might have or be doing something illegal. For example, growing their own "grass".

• Advertisement

No I'm thinking that a tenant not wanting the landlord coming cutting the grass might have or be doing something illegal. For example, growing their own "grass".

Ah here, they just want notice of someone lurking around the property. Would you want a stranger going around your house without calling whenever they wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The landlord doesn't need the tenants' acquiescence in this particular scenario. They can text ahead on the day before they pop down and don't have to wait for a response.

If the tenant doesn't want it, they can let the landlord know. But unlike access to the inside of the property, they landlord doesn't need permission to enter onto the curtilage.

That is, presuming he's talking about the front of the house and not the back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Texting 24-hour's ahead is nonsense. It might rain, the landlord might have other activities and can only company gets the chance. He may well not know 24 hours prior that is going to be coming. If he had to keep giving 24-hour's notice and failed to show up the garden could end up not being cut at all. What has a tenant got to hide that they can't have the landlord glancing in a window during daylight hours?
    It doesn't matter whether or not they have something to hide, it's their house. Yes he's renting the house, but he's not entitled to be prowling around their house while they are renting, whether he's cutting the grass, putting out the bins or furiously masturbating behind a large garden gnome he has erected in the corner of the garden.

If he doesn't want to give them notice, and if they refuse him access, he can evict them if he believes they won't or aren't cutting the grass.

As I said - bloody amateur landlords.

seamus wrote: »
    The landlord doesn't need the tenants' acquiescence in this particular scenario. They can text ahead on the day before they pop down and don't have to wait for a response.

If the tenant doesn't want it, they can let the landlord know. But unlike access to the inside of the property, they landlord doesn't need permission to enter onto the curtilage.

It's common courtesy. It obviously bothers this tenant so respect their wishes.
    As I said previously would you like a tenant walking around your home whenever they wanted. My guess is no.

seamus wrote: »

That is, presuming he's talking about the front of the house and not the back as well.

No one ever said the landlord needs the tenants acquiescence. What if it rains and the landlord doesn't come he then has to give another text for another day since he can't rely on the previous text didn't show up?

Landlord comes and cuts the grass whenever.
    Came to replace a smashed window another day after a stone flew from the mower the previous time he cut it.
    Doesn't bother me.

Actually, one time we had a minor leak and he was to come around to fix it but didn't say a specific day or time just "some day". My housmate was off work that day and is a big strong bodybuilder guy and not a type to take any crap. He was in his room. As landlord was coming in the hallway my housemate was coming out of the room onto the landing. They both stopped stunned and stared at eachother up/down the stairs for a moment. The landlord wasn't expecting anyone to be home. Housemate didn't recognise landlord as he had never met him in person. His first thought was that it was a burglar coming in as landlord was wearing rubber gloves, ready to deal with the leak. Housemate moved to the stairs ready to confront or beat the landlord until the landlord panicked and pleaded with him "oh no, no! It's ok, I'm the landlord, I'm the landlord, its OK"
    This all happened within a space of 3 or 4 seconds.
    So yeah, there can be misunderstandings....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No one ever said the landlord needs the tenants acquiescence. What if it rains and the landlord doesn't come he then has to give another text for another day since he can't rely on the previous text didn't show up?
    My point is that texting the night before is overkill. He can send a text that morning when he knows how the day is panning out.

If the tenant doesn't like it, he can cut his own grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

He is not obliged to give the tenant notice. Under the RTA he is obliged to maintain the lawn unless the contract provides otherwise. She can undertake to cut it herself or pay to have it cut if she doesn't like him coming.

I would agree with this. If it was being cut by a gardens service, they would just turn up within broad timing parameters.

However, it may be for example that she has an infant whose sleep would be disturbed.. That might justify different arrangements for a while??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Making a mountain out of a moehill here to be honest.

There are no moles in Ireland so that's not possible... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

He is not obliged to give the tenant notice.
    Under the RTA the tenant is entitled to uninterrupted use of the property.
    Having the LL on the property is interruptiung the use.

Notice is required.
    Under the RTA he is obliged to maintain the lawn unless the contract provides otherwise. She can undertake to cut it herself or pay to have it cut if she doesn't like him coming.
    Correct.
    But whatever she does does not absolve the LL from his obligation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

People in apartment complexes don't get notice that the grass is going to be cut or bushes cut back on certain days, although they will notify when painting or window cleaning is scheduled.
    She is lucky that the L.L. is tending to the gardening, as most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

K.Flyer wrote: »
    People in apartment complexes don't get notice that the grass is going to be cut or bushes cut back on certain days, although they will notify when painting or window cleaning is scheduled.
    She'd have another whinge if he didn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

ELM327 wrote: »
    Under the RTA the tenant is entitled to uninterrupted use of the property.

The tenant is only entitled to peaceful enjoyment. The LL is obliged to maintain the exterior. Only if he is abusing the right such as coming excessively would the tenant have grounds for a complaint. You should try reading the legislation some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The tenant is only entitled to peaceful enjoyment. The LL is obliged to maintain the exterior. Only if he is abusing the right such as coming excessively would the tenant have grounds for a complaint. You should try reading the legislation some time.
    You should try the enjoyment of polite non-aggressive discussion.
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    That;'s because it's not part of the property.
    In an apartment the central areas are property of the OMC

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

I have to admit I'm amazed at some of the responses on this thread, we live in an age where everybody has a mobile phone and a text message takes seconds and costs nothing!
    I don't think it's ok for somebody to turn up at my home anytime they want, where my wife and kids might be alone and startled. We are all entitled to walk around our home in our underwear or let the kids get dressed without the fear of somebody peering through the window or wandering around the garden unannounced.
    I respect that this landlord takes pride in their property and I commend them for taking responsibility for the garden, but surely out of common courtesy a simple text message before hand would be the least that a tenant could expect.
    Forget the legalities or tenant/landlord rights, we are talking about people just respecting each others boundaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

In my last rented house, the landlord had a guy who would come over to cut the grass. I was thankful but he refused to give me any notice. Which was really annoying because I had 2 dogs so I would have done a poo lift in the garden if I knew someone was coming (I did it quite often but I'd prefer to have it completely clear)

DubJJ wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm amazed at some of the responses on this thread, we live in an age where everybody has a mobile phone and a text message takes seconds and costs nothing!
    I don't think it's ok for somebody to turn up at my home anytime they want, where my wife and kids might be alone and startled. We are all entitled to walk around our home in our underwear or let the kids get dressed without the fear of somebody peering through the window or wandering around the garden unannounced.
    I respect that this landlord takes pride in their property and I commend them for taking responsibility for the garden, but surely out of common courtesy a simple text message before hand would be the least that a tenant could expect.
    Forget the legalities or tenant/landlord rights, we are talking about people just respecting each others boundaries!

If something happens reasonably frequently nobody will be startled. Walking around the house in your underwear is giving bad example to children. Underwear is just that - underwear and should not be used as outerwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

If something happens reasonably frequently nobody will be startled. Walking around the house in your underwear is giving bad example to children. Underwear is just that - underwear and should not be used as outerwear.
    What a ridiculous argument, do you actually have any sensible reason why a text message couldn't be sent first?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

• Advertisement

What a ridiculous argument, do you actually have any sensible reason why a text message couldn't be sent first?

A knock on the door is more environmentally friendly.

Advertisement