Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Golden Gate bridge in California overrated? It's a bridge like.

Options
  • 11-09-2020 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I get that it was a great piece of engineering for it's time but it's a bridge and guess what it's not even made from Gold. So is it overrated. I think it is.
    In fact while I am at it the Harbour Bridge in Sydney is another overrated bridge and I have been at that bridge. In fact I walked across it 7 times and got the train once across it when I was there .
    So is it overrated?

What other bridges are overrated to you?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

Build a bridge and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭beachhead

How do I bridge the gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

The Golden Gate Bridge is considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world, it’s not just a great piece of engineering, it’s a master piece of engineering.

Sydney Harbour bridge is similarily an amazing piece of engineering.

Visit a small local stream and try to imagine building a bridge over it that a 100k plus cars can drive over, when your sitting in the stream after your bridge collapses, think again about the scale of both the Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

gogo wrote: »
    The Golden Gate Bridge is considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world, it’s not just a great piece of engineering, it’s a master piece of engineering.

Visit a small local stream and try to imagine building a bridge over it that a 100k plus cars can drive over, when your sitting in the stream after your bridge collapses, think again about the scale of both the Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney Harbour.

Love it. Got a good laugh out of that thanks.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

So you weren't at the golden gate bridge and it's overrated.

It's like me saying sex with Shakira is overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've done the East Link 8 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F92%2Faa%2F514031ab4314b46a4323ca1d693c%2Fhttps-delivery.gettyimages.com%2Fdownloads%2F1228423382.jpg

I dunno - it looks kinda hot tbh. ;)

Above fire caused by some eejit letting off fireworks at a 'gender reveal party...

Lightning apparently!
    Not the Golden Gate bridge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

A few good scenes around the bridge with Inspector Harry Callahan. For that reason alone, it's a fabulous structure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

It's not even made of gold either like. And no feckin gate on the thing. Shoddy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's pretty cool a bitch ass long walk across it though especially if you walk back as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

gogo wrote: »

In fairness, if you compare the Golden Gate Bridge to the nearby Oakland Bay Bridge, you realise that although it's a very pretty bridge in a pretty location, it's just a simple, large, single span suspension bridge. The Bay Bridge is far more impressive.

The Bay Bridge was built a couple years earlier, currently carries almost a quarter million cars a day, comes in two parts, the bridge from YB Island to Oakland being over 3km long and was the longest cantilever/truss bridge in the world, it has since been replaced by a single-cable bridge which is the widest bridge in the world (and I think the longest single-cable, the one cable holding up all ten lanes is a little over a mile long). The part from YBI to SF (after a 500ft tunnel in the middle of the bridge) is another 3.1km long. Not only did it carry cars on the upper deck, it also carried trains on the lower deck, alongside buses, trucks, and some more cars.

If you're a tourist and want to see a beautiful bridge, look at the golden gate. If you want to check out engineering, go to Oakland. You can even bike from Oakland to YBI.

That said, I'm damned glad I no longer drive over that bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

O connell bridge very overrated
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Pat_Noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

That said, I'm damned glad I no longer drive over that bridge.

Oh I completely agree, in the few times I had to use the Bay Bridge that thing was a nightmare from Emeryville to the city, I also did some filming on Treasure Island and the onramp from Treasure Island to the Bay Bridge is a Death Trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

gozunda wrote: »

Above fire caused by some eejit letting off fireworks at a 'gender reveal party...

The gender fire was in SoCal, the NorCal fires were due to a series of lighting strikes that hit the Bay Area

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Visited the Golden Gate Bridge few years back. The bridge marks the outer edge of the city with wooded hills beyond.

Driving over the bridge near one of the viewing areas was a very large dead deer on the side of the road. Looks like it had made its way across the bridge heading towards the city to end up as Roadkill.

True story...

Edit:

Just found this clip on YouTube. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It’s the location. Add in some fog and a nice view. Not over rated. Also looks good from a distance, like Marin Headlands or Baker Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I ran across it (and back) a few years ago at about 6am not long after sunrise. It was on my bucket list for a long time. It was awesome. Alcatraz was on my right and the whole bay including Alcatraz island was shrouded in mist/fog. You wouldn’t even know Alcatraz was an island there was so much fog. On the way back over the bridge, the fog has started to clear and one of the big mearsk container ships was going under the bridge. Amazing sights. There is a surprising hump towards the middle. Maybe not a beautiful bridge, but far nicer than Sydney harbor bridge, which I also crossed several times.

Fun trivia fact - did you know o Connell bridge is wider than it is long. Allegedly.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

gozunda wrote: »
    ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F92%2Faa%2F514031ab4314b46a4323ca1d693c%2Fhttps-delivery.gettyimages.com%2Fdownloads%2F1228423382.jpg

I dunno - it looks kinda hot tbh. ;)

Lightning apparently!

That aint the golden gate. Tis the Bidwell Bar Bridge

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ipsuiv/the_bidwell_bar_bridge/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

magick wrote: »
    Oh I completely agree, in the few times I had to use the Bay Bridge that thing was a nightmare from Emeryville to the city, I also did some filming on Treasure Island and the onramp from Treasure Island to the Bay Bridge is a Death Trap.

I lived on TI for a couple of years. I liked the on-ramp. Then again, I had a V8 and it was a good excuse to floor the accelerator.

The off-ramp from the bridge to TI from SF, though, was another matter. There seemed to new damage on the outside wall every week.

Will ye sush - you're ruining the mene! Well spotted though ;)

• Advertisement

inthenip wrote: »

Sex with Shakira is over rated. It's all me, me, me. She doesn't give back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Yeah but she can do amazing things with those hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

To be honest I'd never go near that bridge. I mean in every disaster movie its ripped apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

We'll it's obvious she hasn't met me yet?

Kylta wrote: »
    To be honest I'd never go near that bridge. I mean in every disaster movie its ripped apart.

Definitely something ominous about it alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

It is a beautiful looking structure in fairness, hopefully the suicide barriers they are putting on it now don't ruin it's aesthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    O connell bridge very overrated

It's the only traffic bridge in Europe that's wider (50m) than it is long (45m).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Build a bridge and get over it.
    That's something that Boris Johnson couldn't do. Even if you gave him the plans and twice what it cost to build a similar bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

inthenip wrote: »

Have you ever seen Gerard Pique smile, no? Me neither!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don't think it is but sure almost everything touristy can feel overratted, these days you've seen everything so many times on tv that when you see them in real life your expectations are sometimes too high.

Advertisement