Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I'm just glad the game is over with. Dread games against Utd and find them tough to watch.

Thought we deserved the point in the end but nothing more. Found it really tough in the final third to create dangerous moments due to how well Utd set up and played in defence. They got tight to our main ball players and didn't give us space to play. Our passing wasn't quite good enough to play around the tight marking. Nullified our fullbacks for the majority of the game. The Utd players put in a shift as expected.

As for VAR I think a pattern is beginning to show. It appears that atleast for the Premier League VAR will only overrule the ref for an offside or a handball. VAR doesn't seem to overrule the ref for fouls. There was slight contact by Lindelof on Origi which is usually blown for a foul but I never expected VAR to overrule the goal based on what I have seen in previous games where VAR did not change the ref's decision for more obvious fouls. I think the VAR decisions today were consistent with how I have seen it implemented so far, though I don't agree with it.

Accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

A serious question, where are In United going?.

Have you ever heard of an app called grammarly? I have it on VERY good authority that it has remarkable results in a very short period of time. Worth investigating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That point could keep Utd up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

ebbsy wrote: »
    That point could keep Utd up.

The 2 points dropped could cost Liverpool the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,458 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MD1990 wrote: »
    Atkinson just gave everything to Man Utd today & I wasnt surprised. He has done that before against Liverpool.

Totally ridiculous to be accusing a professional referee of bias like that.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    The 2 points dropped could cost Liverpool the league.

Again.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sitting back against Liverpool never works, there seems to be this misconception we struggle to break down sides that sit deep. The full backs are too good to be left cross the ball freely as no matter how poor they have played soon or later they'll make the right one.
    Only way to to beat Liverpool is what Ole did first half. Outwork the midfield and press the full backs, but if your not a side that presses it's difficult to keep that pace for the best of 90 mins.

rob316 wrote: »
    Only way to to beat Liverpool is what Ole did first half. Outwork the midfield and press the full backs, but if your not a side that presses it's difficult to keep that pace for the best of 90 mins.

Some more fitness and happiness and putting the manager's arm around players and we'll be grand :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ole surely won't be sacked now I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This is it wrote: »
    A serious question, how many pints have you had?

Haha very fair, but where is this United team going? It's hard to see a way forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Some more fitness and happiness and putting the manager's arm around players and we'll be grand :)

Might win the champions league if you do .. in 2 years

I was referring to Ole, not Klopp!

Klopp has the benefit of a club structure which is working well and scouting and signing the right players. United don't have that*. Klopp was offered the United job and turned it down and I can't blame him.

* Although we made 3 good signings last summer, at least 2 were targets last year and not signed. Both defenders. We've also let attacking players go without replacing them. Doubt we'll make a significant attacking signing in January but we must make at least 2 of them next summer.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liverpool were lucky to get a draw. No 2 ways about it

Haha very fair, but where is this United team going? It's hard to see a way forward

Under the Glazers it's very hard to see a way forward beyond 3rd/4th place at best. They simply aren't interested in allowing the club to spend enough of its own money to compete for titles. CL qualification is the financial sweet spot for them - maximum ratio of financial return vs. expenditure. I nearly called it "investment" but it's not their money, it's the club's own revenue.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

bangkok wrote: »

Only one team scored a goal which should have stood, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dcully wrote: »
    Was always going to be a tough game for Liverpool regardless of the gulf in class.
    It was manu`s world cup final so to speak and they worked very hard to put in the shift they did,they really frustrated Liverpool but in the end Liverpool bossed the final quarter and got their just reward, 1-1 fair result on the day.
    Ox was excellent when he came on, delighted for Lallana to get the equalizer.
    Salah was a big loss today, his stats are through the roof this season, the clueless point only to his goals only but he has evolved to a more complete package the last 12 months or so.

I thought the Ox was shíte when he came on, ballooned that easy cross at the end as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Under the Glazers it's very hard to see a way forward beyond 3rd/4th place at best. They simply aren't interested in allowing the club to spend enough of its own money to compete for titles. CL qualification is the financial sweet spot for them - maximum ratio of financial return vs. expenditure. I nearly called it "investment" but it's not their money, it's the club's own revenue.

Is this excuse only being spun since ManU stopped winning? They are one of the biggest spenders in the league, and probably word football since the Glazers took over no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

How is that?
    Liverpool dominated possession. Had more chances. More shots on target. Had a goal disallowed. Had a goal controversially given against them. United hanging on at the end and sitting back, parking the bus after 50 minutes. No luck involved.
    Liverpool had their worst game of the season today and were still equal to Uniteds best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

But they have spent loads and it hasn't worked, they have won alot under the Glazers. Would fans be happy with top 4 in three years?

6 wrote: »
    Is this excuse only being spun since ManU stopped winning? They are one of the biggest spenders in the league, and probably word football since the Glazers took over no?

They've bought some shockers and there was no coherent strategy in the type of players they were buying.
    Also you ignore the money back we got on players like Di Maria and Lukaku. Neither of which was a good fit for the club or the style of football we were supposed to be playing, but the Glazers liked a marquee signing to deflect from the fact they're money-grabbing leeches.

Moyes really got the hospital pass. Inherited a mediocre squad which was dragged to a higher level of performance only SAF could manage. A squad which (especially in defence) was allowed to grow old together with no replacements coming through. There'd been shockingly low net spend on players for a few years after the takeover and SAF papered over the cracks, somehow we won a last title with that squad in 2013 but it was literally on its last legs by then.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Only one team scored a goal which should have stood, though.

Utds goal was perfect goal as well.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    How is that?
    Liverpool dominated possession. Had more chances. More shots on target. Had a goal disallowed. Had a goal controversially given against them. United hanging on at the end and sitting back, parking the bus after 50 minutes. No luck involved.
    Liverpool had their worst game of the season today and were still equal to Uniteds best.

Utds best? Dont think so. We beat chelsea 4-0 this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

One of their better ones in fairness. But it was certainly Liverpool's worst, worse than Napoli. And United could only draw at home with them.

Gotta be happy with a point in those circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

giphy.gif

3 mins after Lindelof foul. Less of a foul than that challenge although both were fouls.

Incredible dispaly from the referee no wonder Ole was delighted with him.

Tackle from behind, yellow all day long.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Happy with that result, worst LFC performance in some time coupled with the best I have seen UTD in years. Very good point, onwards and upwards for Liverpool, no idea where UTD go from here, downwards i suspect.

Yeah best United performance since the opening day of the season, but you suspect they are going downwards, biased much? :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

And no two ways about it, ye were lucky to win that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Haha lol. Liverpool were ****e so forget your subtle dig. 20 times :D

Subtle? Dig? Yes, Liverpool were sh!te, of that i can't disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    “The narrative”

“Everyone is always against us”

Good lord lads. Ye were **** today, at least have the humility to recognise that much.

We were sh!t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement