Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alarm options?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

KNXTECH wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Please note that using a Boards account for commercial purposes is not allowed unless registered with HQ. Please contact hello@boards.ie for further details. Do not advertise your company again until this is sorted.

dudara

Hi,

Just to clarify, I have no relationship with comfort or cytech apart from being a happy user for nearly 20 years, just want to make sure that is clear.

To be fair to cytech, as I had also been posting queries from this thread into the comfort support forum and linked this thread, I think they simply came in due to that.

Might be of interest, complete breakdown of comfort spec here on the comfort forum

http://www.comfortforums.com/forum16/4833.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Might be of interest, complete breakdown of comfort spec here on the comfort forum

http://www.comfortforums.com/forum16/4833.html

The forum is very informative, thanks.
    It will be interesting to see how popular this alarm becomes in Ireland.
    Cytech have certainly raised bar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Bumping a slightly old thread, but I'm wondering has anyone recently installed the Cytech Comfort system and how are they finding it? It seems a bit dated to look at so how does it stand up in modern times? Is it worth the extra price you pay over the likes of Yale or HTC?

I've just moved into an old house with no alarm at all, 3 bed 860 sq ft, 5/6 windows needing alarms, two doors, and a separate garage. I want to self install an alarm ASAP and will be doing a lot of renovation in the next couple of years so wired wouldn't be too awkward.

My requirements are:
    Standalone, as in doesn't require an app or internet to function
    At the same time good IoT funcionality, even if this means a bit of work/programming on my part.
    Google Assistant integration (even if this needs a bit of effort).

I hope to install a standalone home automation system in the future, something like Velbus (the likes of Hue is too easy :)) so something that talks to that would be preferable.

I like the Yale Smart Sync system and door lock integration and would have bought by now if it had full Google Assistant integration, I know people have got basic functionality working but that could all go in a future update. I'd prefer to not be completely tied into one ecosystem as well.

The Comfort seems like the most flexible, however it is on the pricey side. Also I can't make head nor tail of the local distributor's website so ordering might be difficult! Coouldn't find any info on sensors, does it use generic ones? Is it worth the extra cash and trouble of configuring? I enjoy that kind of thing but realistically have a lot of other work to do on the house so it can't be a major time sink.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Bumping a slightly old thread, but I'm wondering has anyone recently installed the Cytech Comfort system and how are they finding it? It seems a bit dated to look at so how does it stand up in modern times? Is it worth the extra price you pay over the likes of Yale or HTC?

I've just moved into an old house with no alarm at all, 3 bed 860 sq ft, 5/6 windows needing alarms, two doors, and a separate garage. I want to self install an alarm ASAP and will be doing a lot of renovation in the next couple of years so wired wouldn't be too awkward.

My requirements are:
    Standalone, as in doesn't require an app or internet to function
    At the same time good IoT funcionality, even if this means a bit of work/programming on my part.
    Google Assistant integration (even if this needs a bit of effort).

I hope to install a standalone home automation system in the future, something like Velbus (the likes of Hue is too easy :)) so something that talks to that would be preferable.

I like the Yale Smart Sync system and door lock integration and would have bought by now if it had full Google Assistant integration, I know people have got basic functionality working but that could all go in a future update. I'd prefer to not be completely tied into one ecosystem as well.

The Comfort seems like the most flexible, however it is on the pricey side. Also I can't make head nor tail of the local distributor's website so ordering might be difficult! Coouldn't find any info on sensors, does it use generic ones? Is it worth the extra cash and trouble of configuring? I enjoy that kind of thing but realistically have a lot of other work to do on the house so it can't be a major time sink.

Hey chizler,

I have comfort, integrated with google.assistant, using a built in (on board) rpi, and also velbus, hue and nest. Not a recent install,.comfort is nearly 20 years in (with an upgrade about 10 years ago replaced the entire panel), and velbus has been in around ten years now also,.working with comfort from day 1 (one of the main reasons I chose velbus). Rpi and google assistant integration added about 18 months ago.

The system, both alarm and velbus work together, but also fully functional if either system should fail, and not dependent on internet connectivity either (except for google assistant integration). The on board RPI, can run bode red, home assistant or openhab etc.

Sounds ideal, you've just opened yourself to being pestered when I can't get something working! Did you go wired or wireless? Did you get it from the Irish distributer? Do you feel it's holding up well after 10 years?

Would you have an idea how much it would cost to get a basic 5 window 2 door panel controller and maybe a PIR setup? It's the initial outlay I'm concerned about, don't mind upgrading over the years as a hobby.

Sounds ideal, you've just opened yourself to being pestered when I can't get something working! Did you go wired or wireless? Did you get it from the Irish distributer? Do you feel it's holding up well after 10 years?

Would you have an idea how much it would cost to get a basic 5 window 2 door panel controller and maybe a PIR setup? It's the initial outlay I'm concerned about, don't mind upgrading over the years as a hobby.

I would buy from the uk site, I never bought from the irish site. Join the comfort forum also, loads of info there.

Wired, for everything, in fact all my sensors are standard wired.

It's a while since I bought anything but basic components you need would be

Main board (this has 8 inputs by default, and can be expanded later if you want).
    Ucmpi (gives you ethernet programming access, and the rpi on board for node red, openhab etc).
    Ucm velbus if you plan to deploy velbus (note your mains wiring and lightsiwtxh wiring will need to cater for this).
    Keyoads (1 or 2)

Battery, pirs, door sensors etc, you can get locally, I would recommend the uk supplier fornthe comfort bits.

It is holding up very well imho,.as an alarm system incredibly stable and functional, as a smart home.controller, incredibly.stable.and reliable (mine has been controlling my lighting and heating (the heating is now nest though) solidly for 10 years).

Its.constantly getting firmware upgrades and new features (the rpi interface being the latest), and works very well with velbus and lots of other ha systems

Thanks, I'll price the basic thing up and see what I want to do from there. Actually it's probably from your posts I've come to hear about Comfort and Velbus in the first place.

Any recommendations on where to draw the line between Comfort and Velbus? Comfort seems to have quite a lot of HA capabilities itself.

Thanks, I'll price the basic thing up and see what I want to do from there. Actually it's probably from your posts I've come to hear about Comfort and Velbus in the first place.

Any recommendations on where to draw the line between Comfort and Velbus? Comfort seems to have quite a lot of HA capabilities itself.

Comfort is extremely stable, both as an alarm system and as a home automation controller. I have pretty.much all of my automation logic running in comfort for a number of reasons

Stability
    Integration (security sensors.such as pir and door sensors can be used for ha logic as well)
    Simple logoc, if then else programming
    Macro.functions etc van be triggered based on alarm status etc.

It is frankly.so.stable.that while there are options now to move.that logic elsewhere, it makes no sense to do so.

The ucm pi within comfort I use primarily for.getting google home integration to the panel, giving me voice control.over my entire.lighting,.heating and security system

I know the ucmpi can expand that even further,. I could integrate my solar Pv.system, hue lights etc, and I have played with it, but not had the time.to really dig into it.

• Advertisement

Ah I see, use Comfort for the smarts and Velbus for the ease of adding inputs and outputs to the system.

I'd like to add anything I can in the house over time, more for the challenge and hobby rather than any sort of practical reason. Great to know solar and hue could be added if I really wanted.

Thanks for all the tips!

Advertisement