Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes dryers

Options
  • 18-11-2019 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I would be very grateful for advice on what model of machine is a good, energy efficient clothes dryer (lower running costs if possible).

The issue we have is we do not have a normal washing machine-sized space to put it in.

Do these machines have to be vented and have a tube for sticking out a window?

Many thanks for any help recommending what machines are best or any issues we should consider.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I would be very grateful for advice on what model of machine is a good, energy efficient clothes dryer (lower running costs if possible).

The issue we have is we do not have a normal washing machine-sized space to put it in.

Do these machines have to be vented and have a tube for sticking out a window?

Many thanks for any help recommending what machines are best or any issues we should consider.

What size space have you? most of them are standard size.

And no you dont need a vent anymore. You can get a condensing dryer, it stores the water, just needs emptying when its full.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

garv123 wrote: »
    What size space have you? most of them are standard size.

And no you dont need a vent anymore. You can get a condensing dryer, it stores the water, just needs emptying when its full.

if you have a drain nearby you don't even need to empty it, this is how washer/dryers generally work.

Heat-pump dryers are available that supposedly use less electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hang clothes on a horse for a day or two prior to using drier. Save on energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hang clothes on a horse for a day or two prior to using drier. Save on energy.

Good idea if you have a shed area or somewhere outside of your main living space to do this;
    If your drying clothes in a room which you then heat by any means then your passing the bill from the dryer on to your central heating bill because the more moisture within the air the more energy is taken to heat that air also the more moisture within the air the more difficult it becomes to maintain a high temperature in the air.
    This is why some people use dehumidifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

LenWoods wrote: »
    Good idea if you have a shed area or somewhere outside of your main living space to do this;
    If your drying clothes in a room which you then heat by any means then your passing the bill from the dryer on to your central heating bill because the more moisture within the air the more energy is taken to heat that air also the more moisture within the air the more difficult it becomes to maintain a high temperature in the air.
    This is why some people use dehumidifiers

I don't think the specific heat capacity of air will vary that much at the temperature range we are looking at here: see table below.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Condenser dryer or heat pump dryer.
    The energy rating will tell you how efficient they are.
    They can go anywhere with a plug so pretty flexible location wise. There's a drawer that collects water and you empty it after every load.

There are some smaller sized ones available but in general I'd suggest getting the biggest machine by kgs that you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

You could look at a stacking system if you have the ceiling height.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I have a heat pump one, a Miele. It was expensive but worth it.
    I give the clothes an extra spin after the washing cycle before I use the dryer.
    No difference in my electricity bill which was a bonus.

Advertisement