Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham gives Macca a problem

• 21-02-2007 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Taken from yahoo

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/21022007/1/beckham-gives-macca-problem.html
    Beckham gives Macca a problem

Wed 21 Feb, 02:15 PM
    England coach Steve McClaren admits he has been 'given a problem' by former captain David Beckham's return to form.The 31-year-old midfielder appeared set for months on the sidelines with Real Madrid after coach Fabio Capello claimed he would never play for the club again following his decision to join the Los Angeles Galaxy this summer.

However, he has forced his way back into their first team and has produced a string of fine performances.

Beckham, sent off against Real Betis at the weekend, set up two goals as Real won a thrilling Champions League last-16 first-leg clash against Bayern Munich last night.

"It gives me a problem, one of the problems you welcome," McClaren told Sky Sports News.

"He's being professional and performing well for his club - obviously that's a problem I would rather have than not have. It's interesting."

McClaren added: "The reaction from every adversity he's ever gone through in his career, he's always bounced back and been professional and got on with his job.

"It's pleasing to see that a month ago he would never play for Real Madrid again and there he is starring in a game against Bayern Munich and being man of the match."

Beckham's upturn in form has led to a clamour for his recall to the national side, which he captained until their exit from last summer's World Cup.
    Now he could be considered for a recall in next month's Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Andorra.
    Would be great to see him in an England jersey, and he would get an amazing reception at the games to i would think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If it ment one of either gerrard or lampard were dropped everyone would be happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

On current form, he definitely deserves at least a place on the England squad. He's been cracking for Real since he's come back from exile and definitely has a role to play for England's faultering qualification campaign. He shouldn't be given captaincy and he shouldn't have a guaranteed place on the team though. Having said that, I'd love to see him end his Real career with either a Champions League or La Liga medal. He throughly deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The more I hear from McClaren the more he goes down in my estimation.
    How Beckham can just be cut away from the squad like that is ridiculous.

He tried to put down a marker(stupidly)by putting the likes of Sol Campbell and Beckham in the wilderness and not surprisingly it has back fired on him.

McClaren was at the Real - Bayern game last night and in interview mentioned how he'd spoken to Hargreaves before the game reassuring him that if he didn't play in the Bernabeu, he would be travelling to Munich to watch the 2nd leg aswell. But, he went nowhere near Beckham, which is disgraceful carry on considering Beckham has always let it be known he is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Nunu wrote:
    The more I hear from McClaren the more he goes down in my estimation.
    How Beckham can just be cut away from the squad like that is ridiculous.

He tried to put down a marker(stupidly)by putting the likes of Sol Campbell and Beckham in the wilderness and not surprisingly it has back fired on him.

McClaren was at the Real - Bayern game last night and in interview mentioned how he'd spoken to Hargreaves before the game reassuring him that if he didn't play in the Bernabeu, he would be travelling to Munich to watch the 2nd leg aswell. But, he went nowhere near Beckham, which is disgraceful carry on considering Beckham has always let it be known he is available.
    i agree 100%.this just shows how bad a manager he really is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I said it the day that he got the job and I still stand by it, He'll be gone by the end of the European Championships.

He's a poor manager, alright assistant, but doesnt have what it takes to be a top manager.

Beckham shouldn't have gotten that treatment by McClaren and Beckham will have the last laugh when the english media makes ribbons of him for it.

But saying that, I like seeing England shoot themselves in the foot, they do it everytime without fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sometimes i think were lucky to have stan as manager when i look at how McClown is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shedseven

I think Beckham deserves a recall to the England squad, but McClaren is too stubborn and thick skinned to swallow his pride and admit it, I'm afraid. Since DB has been cut adrift, we havent exactly been setting the world alight, and badly need someone of his quality on the right hand side (even if only for an hour, and then give Lennon a run). McClaren is threatening to achieve what Graham Taylor did and turn England's national team back to the bad old days. We didn't qualify in 1994 and its looking a real uphill battle at the moment. Its all very well saying that we have 4 out of our last 5 games (I think) at Wembley but if you are already playing catch up it could prove a mountain to climb. What odds would you get of Beckham scoring the winner in the final home qualifier at Wembley to see us qualify for Euro 2008?? About a Brazilian to one I would think :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

On current form, he definitely deserves at least a place on the England squad. He's been cracking for Real since he's come back from exile and definitely has a role to play for England's faultering qualification campaign. He shouldn't be given captaincy and he shouldn't have a guaranteed place on the team though. Having said that, I'd love to see him end his Real career with either a Champions League or La Liga medal. He throughly deserves it.

What current form would that be? The last 3 games he's played he's had 2 decent games & got himself sent off in the other one. Hardly inspirational stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If Beckham had been dropped for Lennon or Sean Wright Phillips, then I could understand, but to drop him and move Gerrard to the right is madness.

McLaren has handled this badly and I hope this comes back to haunt him. Beckham's last few performances for England were not that great,but he has always played with passion, something which is lacking from the English team at the moment. (And, dare I say, the Irish one too).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We should keep Stan and have the england squad instead :cool:
    Sometimes i think were lucky to have stan as manager when i look at how McClown is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I agree with this. I think Beckham can play out of himself when he has a point to prove, like at Madrid. I'm not knocking it but like C Ronaldo, he thrives in certain petulant prove-them-wrong situations where he can parade his grievances and act put upon.

In the latter part of his England career, he simply did not justify his place. I feel that Macca was making an unnecessarily OTT point by completely dropping him though. A delegation to the squad would have sent the same message and not have browned off the players.

All the Beckham /England talk is rhetorical now anyway. A 30 something cash cow is not going to be flying back and forth for internationals on a regular basis.
    tdv wrote:
    What current form would that be? The last 3 games he's played he's had 2 decent games & got himself sent off in the other one. Hardly inspirational stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think everybody in the world knows that Lampard/Gerrard can't play together, bar whoever the England manager is. It must be a sponsorship ploy to keep them both playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dropping Beckham to start off with was a ****ing disgrace. His talent may have been overestimated from the start but I always thought he worked hard, especially as captain. Now whilst I think Lennon and SWP both have the potential to become world class players, I think Beckham should be left in the squad or at least called up when one of them is injured. Christ, when Lennon came on against Portugal in the world cup, I thought Beckham did better than Neville in RB.

Advertisement