Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S60 T5

Options
  • 18-06-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

First Post - I'm thinking of buying a 2007 S60 T5. Its a one owner vehicle and is currently being advertised on Carzone. The main thing that is stopping me at the moment from just buying it is the mileage which is 140k miles. If you were driving approx 4k miles per year would you let this stop you?

Also, if in peoples opinions there are any viable alternatives for performance, price, shape/size, reliability & year I'd be grateful of suggestions. I have no issue with the €1,100 annual tax (not prepared to pay much more though!), its only a few hundred more than my 2.0D (I no longer need a diesel) for basically double the power.

I am also considering a 325i BMW - 2006 but currently drive a Volvo and love the comfort. I've driven a T5 previously but that was in the 2.3 engine and the newer 2.4 is apparently quite an improvement.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Would be getting near second timing belt interval.

Also make sure brakes and suspension were done relatively recently.

Any link to the ad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Morequestions thananswers

I tried pasting the link but the post got blocked. Its for sale at a main dealer in Athlone.
    Is there a way to add the link?

The car looks good from the pics, but I did talk to sales.
    I havent been to view it yet but might do so this weekend.

Sure - thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Personally I think I'd go for something like this:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-volvo-s60-automatic-nct-tax/6998150

2.0T but 2.5k less so you could do some mods to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

OSI wrote: »
    Good 80bhp in the difference though.

True, ah feck it go for the T5 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Its a one owner vehicle and is currently being advertised on Carzone. The main thing that is stopping me at the moment from just buying it is the mileage which is 140k miles.

Who was this one owner, company or private owner?
    Company cars are generally looked after and serviced regularly so high mileage wouldn't be a problem at all.
    Private sellers may "dump" cars for sale when car starts to eat slowly your money: sensor here, seal there..
    Remember not only engine did 140 000 miles, but also wheel bearings ,etc,etc.

Also - I wouldn't relay 100% on traders warranty as nobody don't really want to be out of them pocket so one day when you need that dealer warranty it can be difficult task to complete..-IMHO

It was a private owner. Full history with the car as all work was done at selling garage.
    What mpg can one expect on a run - 32/33mpg? Most of my driving will be mixed so I wouldnt expect more than mid 20's anyway!

Thanks to all so far for your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

bear1 wrote: »
    Personally I think I'd go for something like this:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-volvo-s60-automatic-nct-tax/6998150

2.0T but 2.5k less so you could do some mods to it :D

Not a feckin' chance!

OP, that S60 T5 used the last of the 'proper' T5 block and is a cracker (the engine in the likes of the Focus ST was only a 2.5 light pressure turbo). To find one as late as '07 is rare in this country and I certainly think is worthy of consideration. The S60/V70 T5 had a revision in 2004 which bumped the power up to 260bhp with considerable gains in torque and are really quite a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Seems like a pretty sweet deal with the full 1 year Volvo warranty. Go for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Anyone know which models have the 'space ball' gear selector? I love them!!

volvo-s60-567374_48082394.jpg

I thought all facelifted (2005) manuals had it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Anyone know which models have the 'space ball' gear selector? I love them!!

volvo-s60-567374_48082394.jpg

I thought all facelifted (2005) manuals had it?

The volvo s60R had that lever, dont know if any other model had

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Al the R's have them, and most of the facelifted ones bar the otherwise really nice one the OP is looking at. Maybe its sport models with the bodykits which also have them?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

monster1 wrote: »
    The volvo s60R had that lever, dont know if any other model had

The spaceball gearknob was by no means exclusive to any model and was available as an option on even the most bog standard S60's ranging from 2001. There used to be a 'Design Pack' which consisted of it as well as other things like half leather and alloy wheels. It wasn't too popular aside from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

IIRC it was a €300 option.

Update - Ive agreed a deal and paid a small holding deposit on the T5 and will be going to check it out tomorrow (I'm in Cork). If its in as good condition as the sales guy has made out then there should be no issues.

They sent me a copy of the service history via email and the timing belt & w/pump were changed at 191k kilometers (second change) with receipts/stamps etc.
    So far the dealership have been a pleasure to deal with. Warranty is valid at any Volvo main dealer too which was a big deal for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It's a good Volvo warranty as well - covered a Xenon bulb that went, about 11 months in to the warranty - wasn't really expecting a bulb to be covered, but thought I'd chance my arm.

Well wear - say it could be fun getting traction in the wet - easier than keeping fuel in though!

I picked up the car on Saturday and I've been smiling since - it felt 100% right on the test drive. Have to say its an absolute joy to drive. Not one rattle, noise or niggle and in fantastic condition; really drives like a car with a third of the mileage on it. Engine is smooth and refined (sounds great) and power delivery is excellent.
    Averaged 7.4l/100km on the drive down from Athlone (to Cork) which was a pleasant surprise! **note; we took it fairly handy**

Genuinely getting a kick out of driving it, I've been driving for about 12 years and havent looked forward to going for a spin as much since those first few days that I started driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Now considering a T5 too. I think there's a T5 S40 version also? Would this be it if so? http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S40/S40-2.4/201407221695834/ Anybody any thoughts on that particular car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

No idea about the S40, but I recently purchased a S80 2.4, 2005. Have to say I love it. Its working out more economical than my 1.9tdi A6, which is probably the biggest surprise, was getting just over 500miles to the tank on the audi, had 598 on the trip counter when I filled it up today, really impressive for such a big engine and big car.
    Has satnav, folding mirrors, electric seats, usual bells and whistles, though it could do with rear camera, tis a long boot.
    Tax is few hundred higher than the audi but made it cheaper to purchase so it evens out.
    Now, the seats, dear god the seats, its like driving in a lazy boy chair, love them.
    I usually keep a car for 6 months then move them on to try something else but I think ill have a hard tome letting this one go

• Registered Users Posts: 11 damienbyrne

Hi All,

I've just posted a rare T5 as for sale on Adverts - search by my username: <snip> (im not able to post links here.)

If anyone knows of someone who might be interested, please forward.

I'd also like to get people's opinion on the price I have it advertised at. About right? Or too much?

I'm basing it on what similar import from the UK would cost today, VRT paid and the full service with brand new ContiSportContact 5's and new discs and pads all round. (This was basically a €1,500 service. Bottom line is if i'm going to sell it, i coud only sell it in good conscience and faith if it was in perfect condition. I don't like selling cars and telling someone "this, that and t'other" needs to be done.)

The car drives like brand new! (Only small issue is that someone may prefer to have alloys refurb'ed. They're structurally fine and you wouldn't notice anything when a little dirty. They're just not 'perfect' aesthetically, especially when clean!?)

Anyway... Thoughts and input would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm basing it on what similar import from the UK would cost today, VRT paid and the full service with brand new ContiSportContact 5's and new discs and pads all round.

Market is different in UK though given tax rates here etc.
    Would it be a candidate for export?
    You can now get a vrt rebate if exporting.

Hi OSI. I've obviously priced it to allow some negotiation. I may look at exporting, as I'm not sure there's a market for it here.

It is immaculate with a perfect engine. Someone would be laughing if they took it off me!

Agree mickdw. Thanks.

What I'm hoping to find is someone here in Ireland who's looking for something specifically like this fella and not bothered about the tax etc., and avoid the hassle and all that goes with of exporting to the UK. It's one of those kinda cars...

(Had a look before... The VRT rebate is fairly negligible.)

Thanks for input.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

OSI wrote: »
    Honestly, you're looking for pretty much double what it's worth.

Agreed, nice car with low mileage but not a hope you'll get near asking price at over 10 years old.
    I'm toying with the idea of a slightly newer or similar aged S80 and wouldn't even look at a model with that asking price.

Fair enough Dr_Colossus. This is quite a diff car from an S80 though, and in brand new condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

My friend paid almost 2k less for a 06 higher spec S80 (albeit 2.0T engine) almost 2 years ago. Your car is far too expensive.

Sorry TBi. That is the point. An S80 2.0T and this car are extremely different cars.

Sorry lads... Just to explain my logic for having posted here and on my initial valuation. I know starting out at 7.5k seems high, and I will definitely not stick to that, just leaving some haggle room. I'm looking for someone who is specifically looking for a rare, low mileage, fully serviced and shod S60 T5 without having to go to the UK themselves. Agreed... for 7.5k you cold get a lovely 2010 Ford Mondeo. But that's a Ford Mondeo.

If someone was to find a authentically low mileage T5 in the UK in this condition, by the time they bought it, VRT'ed it, fully serviced it with new Contis, discs and pads etc they'd be spending in the region of my asking.

So sorry, that's why I posted... In case anyone knew of anyone looking for something exactly like mine.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So sorry, that's why I posted... In case anyone knew of anyone looking for something exactly like mine.
    Please don't bump a old thread to try to get more views on your advert.
    I've snipped the advert but if someone might be interested they can PM you. Good luck.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement