Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would be the most offensive word in the English language now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Retard and Spastic , I hate anyone using either of those words to describe someone , makes my blood boil tbh .

Jesus yeah, spastic is even worse. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I always thought referring to people as coons was more offensive than calling them ****.

Whenever I hear the word coon I automatically think of the scene outside the school in Forrest Gump

Retard and Spastic , I hate anyone using either of those words to describe someone , makes my blood boil tbh .

What's gas is those that use these words are usually of limited intelligence themselves and don't even see the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BBFAN wrote: »
    What's gas is those that use these words are usually of limited intelligence themselves and don't even see the irony.

But that means they have the word pass!
    Much like rappers and gangstas of the African American persuasion having the Nigga pass...

People of limited intelligence on the cusp of sentience have the retard pass...

I thought that's how this "trigger word" system worked?

Dammit this is getting complicated :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

**** pot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fûcktard

Btw I don't accept ****** or Coon as words in the English language, that's why I just ignore them.

Fûcktard

Or Libtard, they're all versions of the word retard which are just disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Poor old Larry alway's puts his foot in it.

NSFW due to the F word and the N word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

gimptranny

• Advertisement

Or Libtard, they're all versions of the word retard which are just disgusting.

mongtard

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Liberal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Cina wrote: »
    Context?

There are very few contexts where it's not an offensive word.

Ahh you can't be giving out to the 4 year olds for singing 'catch a nígger by the toe'.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

NIMAN wrote: »
    From the last few years, I'd say it has to be the 'N' word.
    (Afraid to type it in case it isn't censored properly on Boards and the Gardai come to arrest me).

I find this amusing considering it is an appropriated Americanism, ironically from a problem they created and perpetuated themselves!
    Through the American media's proliferation worldwide and particularly in Western Europe they decide for what is and what is not offensive.
    I can also assume from the post that you are white because in general parlance among the black community it is used all the time!

Is it just an American white man's guilt issue which has now become everyone else?

For me as an Irish person and Dublin supporter the most offensive word is M*ath.
    :D

Is the N word NIMAN by the way?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I agree with a previous poster "retard" is the most offensive word I can think of.

Well if you're that sensitive, it's a good job you didn't become an airline pilot, the plane's computer isn't slow to insult you if you don't nail the landing just right :D

Agatha Christie wrote a novel in which a poem called "Ten Little ****" featured prominently. The title upon release in the UK was also "Ten Little ****". It was even set in a place called ****** Island. In the US it was released under the title "And Then There Were None" (which is what it is released as internationally today) and references to the word ****** were removed and replaced. The poem was called "Ten Little Indians" or "Ten Little Soldiers" depending on the year of publication.

Now what I've written to there uses the word ****** multiple times. Is it racist? No, no it's not. I think it's perfectly to OK to use the word ****** when describing historical facts. Because were the words that were used, no more, no less

And no one ever quotes Muhammed Ali as saying "No Vietnamese man ever killed an N-word"

Edit: the boards filter blocks the N-word in singular but not in plural, they might want to look at that....

The "Huckleberry Finn" had an original character called 'N1gger Joe.'
    But those who are offended by it has now been changed to 'Slave Joe'.

Personally I think that is worse.
    Ironically it is a whitewash.

Are the Brits still allowed to call us Paddy's?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

trump

To thine own self be true

trump

Hillary

I disagree a lot of people do not even understand the meaning of the word spastic.
    People use the word spa to mean fool, stupid person etc.
    I remember a girl who is very PC referred to a fella with Cerebral Palsy 'your a spa' (her meaning - thick/eejit) not realising it's true meaning. But he just replied 'I know'.
    I am not sure she understood the joke! :D

As regards the retard one. I was on the bus before and a fella with Downs Syndrome was chatting to another fella with Downs Syndrome.
    One fella got off the bus. The other fella says out loud to himself '****ing retard!'

It is all about context and use of words.
    What is dangerous is others deciding what other groups should find offensive! Then getting offended on thier behalf.

Words change meaning all the time. There used to be legislation years ago called 'Idiots Act 1886'
    It refers to idiots,imbeciles and lunatics. Now these words are in common usage. No one gives them a second thought.
    Even the like of Kevin Kilbane who has a Downs Sydrome child gets very offended when he hears the word mong. Yet he uses the words moron, idiot, lunatic regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Cina wrote: »
    Depends whether you are.

Call someone a c**t in America and you'll get a lot of disgusted looks. Call someone a c**t in Cork and you'll be best mates for life.

Australians are super comfy with the use of c*nt. It's even their National Anthem!

WARNING Do not play at work with the sound on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Again NSFW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭t1h9mgqsxopj0r

Nothing because everyone gets offended over something nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Russia.

Say that word and you'll offend either because (a) people are sick of hearing about it or (b) they believe tales of Putin's hidden hand behind every politically incorrect utterance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Russia.

Say that word and you'll offend either because (a) people are sick of hearing about it or (b) they believe tales of Putin's hidden hand behind every politically incorrect utterance.

Nice try...... Vladimir!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think you have to imagine you're at a dinner party.

Which words would cause people to want to disassociate from you?

Certainly words like k*ke or n*gger.

I'm pretty much sure every swear word is mostly acceptable, assuming the context isn't horrible. Like if you use c*nt to describe vaginas, most people are going to think you're a horrendous person.

I think political opinions are up there with the racist words. Like if you used MAGA in a sentence, I think a lot of people would think you're a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Neither of which get blocked by boards.ie, sending a clear message that it's OK to take a swipe at people with intellectual or physical disabilities, but not other minority groups.

Neither of which get blocked by boards.ie, sending a clear message that it's OK to take a swipe at people with intellectual or physical disabilities, but not other minority groups.

I don't think they're trying to send a message that "it's OK to take a swipe at people with intellectual or physical disabilities".

I think they have a naughty words list, and they just did a half assed job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I have a son with special needs and the words retard and spastic obviously would be the words I find most offensive.
    A few months back I happened to be in the company of a friend of a friend who happened to be a black man he was using the retard word quiet frequent, obviously he didn’t know about our sons situation. He wasn’t only using it to call someone a retard he was in fact using to describe kids with special needs and how they freak him out.
    So you can imagine the commotion when I turned around started to describe black people as nig..gers he still couldn’t see that he was in the wrong and he was coming out with all sort of **** why his use of the word retard wasn’t the same as me using the N word.

harr wrote: »
    I have a son with special needs and the words retard and spastic obviously would be the words I find most offensive.
    A few months back I happened to be in the company of a friend of a friend who happened to be a black man he was using the retard word quiet frequent, obviously he didn’t know about our sons situation. He wasn’t only using it to call someone a retard he was in fact using to describe kids with special needs and how they freak him out.
    So you can imagine the commotion when I turned around started to describe black people as nig..gers he still couldn’t see that he was in the wrong and he was coming out with all sort of **** why his use of the word retard wasn’t the same as me using the N word.

Retard isn't the same as n*gger.

No one went around lynching retards.

Retard is an actual dictionary word, whereas n*gger is an insult with a very clear meaning.

I agree though that people from refrain from calling people retards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Retard isn't the same as n*gger.

No one went around lynching retards.

Retard is an actual dictionary word, whereas n*gger is an insult with a very clear meaning.

I agree though that people from refrain from calling people retards.

Retard is very much the same as n*gger if you are using it in context as an insult.
    Just because it’s a word in the dictionary doesn’t make it ok to use as an insult.

Advertisement