Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Answers will only be accepted if they're shouted out the window of what vehicle:

a) Taxi
    b) Bus
    c) White van
    d) All of the above

No contest... "a"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

07Lapierre wrote: »
    No contest... "a"

Holes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is a bizarre thread.

I can't believe that you think that it's ok for cyclists to have no lights!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

well done..sure its not the hardest quiz is it? :D

What about insurance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Helmets, Lights and Hi-viz .. the Holy trinity of gripes against cyclists! :)
    treade1 wrote: »
    You forgot red-light jumping!

I hereby advocate from here on in, that red light jumping be brought under the "Lights" category to bring it in line with the new "Common Sense" approach to motoring...I'll need a second on this though for it to be formally ratified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Just looking at these now. I'm surprised you think any of them contradict anything I have said.

The helmets attract drivers argument would need a bit more empirical research before it can be taken seriously and it doesn't extend as far as claiming helmets cause accidents.

Meanwhile the statistic (aka fact) that 97% of cycling fatalities were not wearing helmets really should be enough, as does the 37% of cycling deaths that would have been avoided if the victims had helmets.

the "hi viz" thing is just splitting hairs and I'll let the RSA argue that one. I mean any garment that can be seen in the dark and I don't see anyone claim that the Irish cyclist default outfit of black clothes is better than something that can be seen.

So thanks for the links but I'm afraid they undermine, not support your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

First Up wrote: »
    The helmets attract drivers argument would need a bit more empirical research before it can be taken seriously and it doesn't extend as far as claiming helmets cause accidents.
    Empirical research like that done by Dr Ian Walker at University of Bath as detailed in the article? Did you actually read beyond the headline?
    Meanwhile the statistic (aka fact) that 97% of cycling fatalities were not wearing helmets really should be enough
    Presumably, the statistic that 100% of motoring fatalities were not wearing motoring helmets is really enough to convince you of the need for mandatory crash helmets for all drivers, right?
    the "hi viz" thing is just splitting hairs and I'll let the RSA argue that one. I mean any garment that can be seen in the dark and I don't see anyone claim that the Irish cyclist default outfit of black clothes is better than something that can be seen.
    Black clothing contrasts nicely with grey concrete roads, yellow buses, bright green foliage. Green/yellow hi-vis blends with green/yellow foliage, and with bright sunlight. A judge in a UK case suggested that hi-vis was a contributory factor in the death of a cyclist knocked down in bright sunlight.

Empirical research like that done by Dr Ian Walker at University of Bath as detailed in the article? Did you actually read beyond the headline?
    Meanwhile the statistic (aka fact) that 97% of cycling fatalities were not wearing helmets really should be enough
    Presumably, the statistic that 100% of motoring fatalities were not wearing motoring helmets is really enough to convince you of the need for mandatory crash helmets for all drivers, right?
    Black clothing contrasts nicely with grey concrete roads, yellow buses, bright green foliage. Green/yellow hi-vis blends with green/yellow foliage, and with bright sunlight. A judge in a UK case suggested that hi-vis was a contributory factor in the death of a cyclist knocked down in bright sunlight.
    It wasn't empirical research and it did not offer a single fact to support the argument that helmets cause accidents. It did however show that when accidents occur, helmets save lives.

As I have previously said (as does the article) seat belts are the motoring equivalent of helmets and the data is overwhelming.

I'm talking about cycling on dark nights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: The next person to bring up HIVIS or Helmets in this thread rather than the mega threads gets carded or banned. Fire away with the other gripes but leave these two in the mega threads. Last warning.

It wasn't empirical research and it did not offer a single fact to support the argument that helmets cause accidents. It did however show that when accidents occur, helmets save lives.

As I have previously said (as does the article) seat belts are the motoring equivalent of helmets and the data is overwhelming.

I'm talking about cycling on dark nights.

What's your definition of empirical research? Here's a standard definition - did you have something different in mind?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_research

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Hi pomgh,

I've moved your thread across to the Cycling forum and deleted posts that were made when it was in the other forum.

You've a lot to answer for!

What's your definition of empirical research? Here's a standard definition - did you have something different in mind?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_research

The Mods warnings limit my scope to answer. I should have more accurately said it is not quantitative research as the sample is inherently skewed, being limited to only one cyclist. Plus, we don't know if the cyclists behaviour also varied from one trial to the other. Nor is it the study independently verified. It also assumes correlation equals causation. It is interesting and a valid discussion point but compares poorly with to the solid statistics that support the alternative conclusion.

The people with the best grasp of such issues are actuaries working with insurance companies. They deal in facts. You could ask them which position they support.

The Mods warnings limit my scope to answer. I should have more accurately said it is not quantitative research as the sample is inherently skewed, being limited to only one cyclist.
    it is one of the major flaws of the paper, although it excludes alot of other issues by going this route.
    Plus, we don't know if the cyclists behaviour also varied from one trial to the other. Nor is it the study independently verified. It also assumes correlation equals causation. It is interesting and a valid discussion point but compares poorly with to the solid statistics that support the alternative conclusion.
    What is the alternative conclusion, that he rode in a manner that made motorists give more space. As far as I am aware, the tests were repeated enough to overcome bias although I would have liked if he expanded the list of cyclists to include the range of people he emulated, doing the same ride and also repeating the experiment as he done it. It would remove the bias but looking at the data, I can't see it changing the findings. This said, intuitive and cycling safety are rarely co conspirators, so I could be wrong.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The Mods warnings limit my scope to answer. I should have more accurately said it is not quantitative research as the sample is inherently skewed, being limited to only one cyclist.
    it is one of the major flaws of the paper, although it excludes alot of other issues by going this route.
    Plus, we don't know if the cyclists behaviour also varied from one trial to the other. Nor is it the study independently verified. It also assumes correlation equals causation. It is interesting and a valid discussion point but compares poorly with to the solid statistics that support the alternative conclusion.
    What is the alternative conclusion, that he rode in a manner that made motorists give more space. As far as I am aware, the tests were repeated enough to overcome bias although I would have liked if he expanded the list of cyclists to include the range of people he emulated, doing the same ride and also repeating the experiment as he done it. It would remove the bias but looking at the data, I can't see it changing the findings. This said, intuitive and cycling safety are rarely co conspirators, so I could be wrong.

The other glaring omission is anything about how the motorists saw any difference and if/how it influenced them. The whole point of the exercise was to measure change in motorists' behaviour so the failure to explore that makes it pretty meaningless as a scientific study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

This is that .gif playing out in real life isn't it?

The one where the guy won't go to bed because someone on the internet is wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Plastik wrote: »

In this case, it is absolutely everyone that is wrong.

Its a discussion. If its over your head you can go elsewhere.

In this case, it is absolutely everyone that is wrong.
    Feel free to say why.

As far as I am aware, the tests were repeated enough to overcome bias although I would have liked if he expanded the list of cyclists to include the range of people he emulated, doing the same ride and also repeating the experiment as he done it. It would remove the bias but looking at the data, I can't see it changing the findings. This said, intuitive and cycling safety are rarely co conspirators, so I could be wrong.

They did something very similar in Taiwan and Florida, and found the same conclusions about women getting more comfortable passing distances, but I don't think they tried with and without helmet.
    https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/319005625659035648

Walker said he didn't set out to investigate the effect of helmets on passing distance, but he included it when someone suggested it would be interesting along with the effect of the gender of the rider and road position.

This really belongs to the Helmet Hellhole Megathread.

The other glaring omission is anything about how the motorists saw any difference and if/how it influenced them. The whole point of the exercise was to measure change in motorists' behaviour so the failure to explore that makes it pretty meaningless as a scientific study.

It's an innovative and very clever study. And he's perfectly willing to defend it:
    https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/935043049230688256

As he said, it's not n=1. It's one cyclist and 2200 subjects.

He did a follow-up with Dorothy Robinson very recently, and it's well worth a read. It's in the Megathread towards the end.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, the tests were repeated enough to overcome bias although I would have liked if he expanded the list of cyclists to include the range of people he emulated, doing the same ride and also repeating the experiment as he done it. It would remove the bias but looking at the data, I can't see it changing the findings. This said, intuitive and cycling safety are rarely co conspirators, so I could be wrong.

They did something very similar in Taiwan and Florida, and found the same conclusions about women getting more comfortable passing distances, but I don't think they tried with and without helmet.
    https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/319005625659035648

Walker said he didn't set out to investigate the effect of helmets on passing distance, but he included it when someone suggested it would be interesting along with the effect of the gender of the rider and road position.

This really belongs to the Helmet Hellhole Megathread.
    I'll remind everyone that my point in joining the discussion was just about cyclists without lights.

I'll remind everyone that my point in joining the discussion was just about cyclists without lights.

Yes, I'm well aware that you came here to repeatedly accuse us of condoning people who cycle without lights at night.

Yes, I'm well aware that you came here to repeatedly accuse us of condoning people who cycle without lights at night.
    Can I take that as an unqualified condemnation of them?

They should use lights. Lights are good.

I might write a perl script to post this after every post you make from now on.

They should use lights. Lights are good.

I might write a perl script to post this after every post you make from now on.
    No you can stop now.

It has already been said many times to you. Repeating it is not helping it sink in. You have not shown anywhere where on this forum where people are condoning not using lights yet you argue over and over that we are condoning it. That’s why the gif referred to earlier is apt. You perceive absolutely everyone to be wrong. However in your case you are disagreeing with them agreeing with you about lights. Maybe you are stuck in some weird loop.

It has already been said many times to you. Repeating it is not helping it sink in. You have not shown anywhere where on this forum where people are condoning not using lights yet you argue over and over that we are condoning it. That’s why the gif referred to earlier is apt. You perceive absolutely everyone to be wrong. However in your case you are disagreeing with them agreeing with you about lights. Maybe you are stuck in some weird loop.
    We can all read pal. Lets draw our own conclusions eh?

Im certainly no pal of yours. I have read every post on the thread and countless other threads here. There is no evidence to back up you up in your assertions that cyclists here are anti-lights. You have not proved one shred of evidence either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Its a discussion. If its over your head you can go elsewhere.

Sure thing internet guy!

• Advertisement

Im certainly no pal of yours. I have read every post on the thread and countless other threads here. There is no evidence to back up you up in your assertions that cyclists here are anti-lights. You have not proved one shred of evidence either.
    I don't need to "prove" (provide) anything. People can read it and draw their own conclusions.

I don't need to "prove" (provide) anything. People can read it and draw their own conclusions.

MOD VOICE: Time to take a few days away from the thread. You have been repeatedly told no one condones it, no one can find anyone condoning it, and you haven't shown it. I have to presume you are simply not interested in discussion. Please do not post in here again for a week. If you have any issues with the modding, please PM me.

There is also not one shred of evidence that unlit cyclists are a significant safety issue on the roads, especially when compared to something like speeding motorists.

The Mods warnings limit my scope to answer. I should have more accurately said it is not quantitative research as the sample is inherently skewed, being limited to only one cyclist. Plus, we don't know if the cyclists behaviour also varied from one trial to the other. Nor is it the study independently verified. It also assumes correlation equals causation. It is interesting and a valid discussion point but compares poorly with to the solid statistics that support the alternative conclusion.
    Again, I'm left wondering where you are getting your definitions from when you claim that it is not quantitative research. It fits any definition I've ever seen for quantitative research.

Yes, there are limitations with the study, including the participation of only one cyclist - but you can say that about pretty much any quantitative study, that a bigger sample would give better results.

It doesn't assume anything about correlation or causation. It just presents the results of the research. It has been independently verified by the standard peer review process involved in publication.

And where specifically are these 'solid statistics' you mention?
    So how exactly would you do that research? Ahead of the cyclist, you're going to have to stop each driver and ask them their views on something they did instinctively, without thinking too much? That's going to be both illegal and impractical. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that this is nitpicking to try to undermine peer-reviewed research.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You've a lot to answer for!
    I see that the OP has two posts on boards, the first one being this seagull load that he dropped before flying away. Maybe the cycling forum should have a standardised response to this kind of one-off unloading that really adds nothing to the debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Maybe an approval process to post in the forum, like the football forum has. Or used to have anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Again, I'm left wondering where you are getting your definitions from when you claim that it is not quantitative research. It fits any definition I've ever seen for quantitative research.

.......Yes, there are limitations with the study, including the participation of only one cyclist - but you can say that about pretty much any quantitative study, that a bigger sample would give better results.

.......It doesn't assume anything about correlation or causation. It just presents the results of the research. It has been independently verified by the standard peer review process involved in publication.

......And where specifically are these 'solid statistics' you mention?

......So how exactly would you do that research? Ahead of the cyclist, you're going to have to stop each driver and ask them their views on something they did instinctively, without thinking too much? That's going to be both illegal and impractical. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that this is nitpicking to try to undermine peer-reviewed research......
    Not the done thing to continue to debate with someone after they have been banned.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Maybe an approval process to post in the forum, like the football forum has. Or used to have anyway.

I wouldn't go that far but I'm massaging my temples between this thread and the hi-vis one at this stage.

There has to be line, I'm all for debate but when people argue in circles it becomes pointless and should be shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

We've been circling the drain for sometime now.

It is done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement