Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA collection day moved AnPost debit

Options
  • 23-03-2020 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭

Hey all. My Brother is on Job Seekers Allowance. Normally collects in Post Office on Monday. He got an AnPost debit card and tried to collect today. Nothing there. He tried the post office...nothing there. He rang the local welfare office...lines all busy. He asked me for a lift to the welfare office and it wasn’t very busy. 5 people waiting there and less than 5 minutes waiting.

He was told that because his payment is now electronic, that his new payment day is Thursday. Does anyone know anything about this? Aside from the not insignificant inconvenience of waiting an extra 4 days for his payment, will he be paid for the 4 days he is now missing? He didn’t ask any of this at the welfare office and said he would wait and see. Didn’t want to rock the boat. But in the mean time, he has no cash, no food essentials and his electric meter is beeping for credit. I’m not in a position to offer much so I was hoping to at least see if anyone on here knows what is happening with the payment. 4 days is a long enough wait.

Stay Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hey all. My Brother is on Job Seekers Allowance. Normally collects in Post Office on Monday. He got an AnPost debit card and tried to collect today. Nothing there. He tried the post office...nothing there. He rang the local welfare office...lines all busy. He asked me for a lift to the welfare office and it wasn’t very busy. 5 people waiting there and less than 5 minutes waiting.

He was told that because his payment is now electronic, that his new payment day is Thursday. Does anyone know anything about this? Aside from the not insignificant inconvenience of waiting an extra 4 days for his payment, will he be paid for the 4 days he is now missing? He didn’t ask any of this at the welfare office and said he would wait and see. Didn’t want to rock the boat. But in the mean time, he has no cash, no food essentials and his electric meter is beeping for credit. I’m not in a position to offer much so I was hoping to at least see if anyone on here knows what is happening with the payment. 4 days is a long enough wait.

If he has nothing till Thursday then he should have made an appointment to see the CWO while he was in the SW office today. He/she will give him something to keep him going till Thursday which will be deducted from any arrears he is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ttsnar

Jobseekers Allowance payments are Thursday if paid to bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

ttsnar wrote: »
    Jobseekers Allowance payments are Thursday if paid to bank accounts.

He usually gets paid on a Monday in post office but they changed his payment to the AnPost account. If they change the day from Monday to Thursday, he is losing days. Will they be accounted for in his Thursday payment? I know very little about dole payments.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

He gets the same amount,but electronic payments are different days then post office collections.
    So now as he is getting it into a bank account its a different collection day. His amount remains the same
    Technically he changed the payment day himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

He gets the same amount,but electronic payments are different days then post office collections.
    So now as he is getting it into a bank account its a different collection day. His amount remains the same
    Technically he changed the payment day himself

That’s bizarre. According to him, they moved him to this new method. Moving him to a different day after his original day equates to a loss, even if the same amount is being given. If normal collection is Monday and we count 5 days for exclusion of Saturday and Sunday, we can say the start of his week is Tuesday (day 1) and the end is Monday (day 5....collection day). I am working off the assumption that welfare payment don’t count weekends.

I don’t know the exact amount paid, but I assume it’s 200, so let’s say 40 per day. If they moved his payment to Thursday, he has by then built up an extra 3 days @ €40 which is €120 down, or a loss of 60% of his payment in one particular week.

I suspect it will be sorted, but it bothered me yesterday in particular because I was not in a position to offer help.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

An An post debit card isnt set up by social welfare,its set up by signing up,its like a bank account through an post,nothing to do with social welfare at all.
    Unless your talking about a public services card? Thats different,thats the card you use to collect social welfare payments in post office and for a few other things.

Social welfarebis a weekly amount,reguardless of colection day, .E g a payment day is wednesday.collection in post office its usually available monday,tuesday at the latest , and will stay until friday. The amount is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

is payment of jobseekers allowance to bank allowed for people on jobseekers before the pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

Video wrote: »
    is payment of jobseekers allowance to bank allowed for people on jobseekers before the pandemic?

I'm on Job Seekers Benefit. I emailed the local Intero office asking to be paid via bank given the situation and advice to stay at home.

Was sorted very quickly for me and all done within 2 emails so it seems they're very willing to do it given the circumstances

Advertisement