Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg plans for 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

scarepanda wrote: »
    ****e. Did you order any potatoes or onions? I ordered on the 7th Jan.

My order was mostly potatoes and onions with a couple of seed packs thrown in. Was waiting on some of the seed potatoes to become available as they were main crop but were sent almost straight away then. I'd say get onto them with your order number or if you have an account should see your order there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I can't remember if I set up an account or not, either way I can't log in or reset my password. Ill contact them tomorrow but they have a note on their website saying that they are only dealing with commercial customers queries at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I can't remember if I set up an account or not, either way I can't log in or reset my password. Ill contact them tomorrow but they have a note on their website saying that they are only dealing with commercial customers queries at the moment.

Definitely get onto them. Dealing with commercial customer queries only is bad business. If they missed your order since January then any good customer service should deal with that first as it's their mistake

I just had another look at their site and one of the onions I bought isn't in stock till the middle of March and they won't ship items separately :/. I was expecting the delay to be the potatoes. I never noticed the March date for the onions. Anyways, I'll give them another 7/10 days and then get onto them. The note regarding queries seems to have been taken down since they reopened the online store.

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

We had issues with them a few weeks back, ordered seed potatoes, kept telling us that yeah they'll ship this week (when they actually replied back to us), nothing arrives.....get back to them again.....yeah they'll ship this week....again nothing arrives....and repeat!!! Eventually the order arrived but won't be giving them any more business, poor customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Bill Hook

I had the opposite problem with my Fruit Hill Farm seed potato; they arrived way earlier that I would have liked so now I have to keep them away from the rats until it is time to plant them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Has anyone received their fruithill farm orders yet?

Placed an order on the 22 Jan. Rang last weekend about it. Yer man says another week or two as they are waiting for onion sets and apparently my order isn't urgent!!!!

To be fair its not but still it is with them 6 or 7 weeks for a few sets ( which they said were in stock when I ordered) and a few packets of seeds.

Frogeye wrote: »
    Placed an order on the 22 Jan. Rang last weekend about it. Yer man says another week or two as they are waiting for onion sets and apparently my order isn't urgent!!!!

To be fair its not but still it is with them 6 or 7 weeks for a few sets ( which they said were in stock when I ordered) and a few packets of seeds.

Ya, I'm the same, no major panic but would like to get the stuff at the same time. I've never used them before, twud be a little different if it was a company I was used to buying off. I knew the potatoes weren't in stock when I ordered but didn't realise that the onions were on a wait list as well. But maybe they were in stock when I ordered and were out by the time the potatoes arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Orders my seed potatoes from them last October and requested a February delivery. They arrived in February. No complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Finished digging my veg patch over the weekend, it's more than doubled from last year to ~80m2 this year. Will be planting early potatoes this weekend or the following weekend.

I'll start some carrots indoors in toilet roll inserts also for planting in April along with carrot seeds sown directly in the soil, snap peas, onion sets and a few heads of calabrese.

I've also had a request for some beetroot - what's the option for that? From seed or buy small plants in a garden centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

MacDanger wrote: »
    Finished digging my veg patch over the weekend, it's more than doubled from last year to ~80m2 this year. Will be planting early potatoes this weekend or the following weekend.

I'll start some carrots indoors in toilet roll inserts also for planting in April along with carrot seeds sown directly in the soil, snap peas, onion sets and a few heads of calabrese.

I've also had a request for some beetroot - what's the option for that? From seed or buy small plants in a garden centre?

beetroot grow easily enough from seed in my experience, I usually wait until april and plant them directly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

MacDanger wrote: »

Plant seed. Beetroot seed germinates very successfully, and transplants equally well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Plant seed. Beetroot seed germinates very successfully, and transplants equally well.

I have not been hugely successful planting beetroot. I often get very small beetroots, any reason for this?

I transplanted some last year to a new location. They grew to a decent size. Pulled them and ate them yesterday. So tasty and delicious in a mixed salad.

I often get very small beetroots, any reason for this?

Too close together? Not enough water? They'd be the most likely explanations, although if you had better results by moving them to a different location last year, it's possible there's something about the soil in the original location that they don't like.

I sow mine fairly close together, do a first thinning and re-plant what I've pulled out in a different part of the garden spaced 10cm apart. I go back to the seed-sown line later in the year and thin that again, now to 10cm, and send the "baby beets" pulled out to the kitchen.

Just thought I'd update here.

I got an email today off fruithill farm to let me know that my order is being shipped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Just thought I'd update here.

I got an email today off fruithill farm to let me know that my order is being shipped today.

#metoo

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I have decided not to grow spuds this year (very controversial decision in my house). On the trying something new front, I am going to give sweetcorn a shot. Got a nice sounding F1 jobby from seedaholic. Have visions of putting cobs on the bbq within seconds of picking, probably end up with a few manky looking green 4 cms things.....

whelzer wrote: »
    On the trying something new front, I am going to give sweetcorn a shot. Got a nice sounding F1 jobby from seedaholic. Have visions of putting cobs on the bbq within seconds of picking

If that's your vision, you'll be having them for breakfast! Sweetcorn should be picked first thing in the morning.

Be warned: if you plant all the seed at the same time, you tend to get all the cobs ripening at the same time, and their "use-by" date is very short. Very, very short. Like really, very, very short - a few days at most. Cooking it is easy enough; eating it is messy, but easy enough; saving it for later is a whole lot of work!

I'll be growing it (again) this year, but I'm staggering my germinations at fortnightly intervals to try to keep it manageable. Germination rate is poor enough from my saved seed, though - 40% at the moment, giving me just 8 plants so far out of two batches. I'll triple the amount of seed I'm sowing for the rest of the batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Hi all. i have bought way too many seed potatoes for the space i have due to not having a clue.
    If anyone wants any you can collect em from my house in Balrothery Tallaght D24.

they are as follows

FIRST EARLIES
    maris bard x 7
    epicure x13
    colleen x9
    home guardx9
    aran pilotx9
    duke of york x5
    foremost x11
    ulster princex6

SECOND EARLY
    marfonax9

MAIN CROP
    blue danube x millions!

im off all wednesday and home around 3.30 other days.
    send a PM if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

im only doing potatoes this year and some cucumbrs and tomatoes in greenhouse and as usual ive probably started too early. spuds are in and cucumber/tomatoes seedlings are struggling but alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

If that's your vision, you'll be having them for breakfast! Sweetcorn should be picked first thing in the morning.

Be warned: if you plant all the seed at the same time, you tend to get all the cobs ripening at the same time, and their "use-by" date is very short. Very, very short. Like really, very, very short - a few days at most. Cooking it is easy enough; eating it is messy, but easy enough; saving it for later is a whole lot of work!

I'll be growing it (again) this year, but I'm staggering my germinations at fortnightly intervals to try to keep it manageable. Germination rate is poor enough from my saved seed, though - 40% at the moment, giving me just 8 plants so far out of two batches. I'll triple the amount of seed I'm sowing for the rest of the batches.

Thanks for this. Have an 8X4 bed that will be dedicated to corn, will probably do it in 2 sowings. Four teenage boys plus myself and wife will not be long getting through whatever happens to grow.

What variety do you grow and can I ask where in the country you are? I'm in Dublin and my garden faces almost due south so am assuming I should be ok.

Do you start seeds inside and when would you start?

Thanks

edit: bbq for breakfast - sure why not. There is no such thing as normal anymore!

whelzer wrote: »
    What variety do you grow and can I ask where in the country you are? I'm in Dublin and my garden faces almost due south so am assuming I should be ok.

Do you start seeds inside and when would you start?

I'm not anywhere in the country - at least not yours! :cool: I'm in central France. Not sure anymore what variety I'm using - currently sowing seed saved from last year, which was saved from the year before.

I started sowng in 10-place egg boxes in underbed storage boxes on a heated floor a month ago, second sowing a fornight ago, next one due this week. I moved both boxes outside about ten days ago to take advantage of the warmer weather, and both batches are growing well, so if I can get organised, I'll move them into their outdoor position this week and smother them in hay (forecast promises a cold week ahead).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

I get nearly 100% germination.
    There is a trick to it though.
    • Get seed tray.
    • Line it with 3 layers of kitchen paper.
    • Dampen it.
    • place kernels on top, spaced ~2cm apart.
    • Cover with 3 more layers of kitchen paper.
    • Spray it with a water mister to dampen the paper.
    • Keep in a warm place, but not so warm that it dry's out.
    • Mist the top paper regularly, but don't let it get sopping.
    • Carefully peel back the top paper after a few days to have a peep.
    • The kernels will "fill out", then produce a "bump", then send out a hairy root.
    • Once the roots are 1.5cm long, then carefully plant them into little pots, or toiler rolls filled with fine soil/compost.
    • Don't let the roots get too long, or the lot will get tangled and be difficuly to separate.

Plant out the rolls into the garden when the threat of frost has passed.
    Enjoy the sweetcorn and butter!

Zardaz wrote: »
    I get nearly 100% germination.
    There is a trick to it though.
      ... carefully plant them into little pots, or
    toiler rolls filled with fine soil/compost.

Plant out the rolls into the garden when the threat of frost has passed.

:D Even scavenging from family, friends and workplaces, I really don't know where ye get all these toilet rolls from!

Anyway, my egg-box technique has always been very reliable (and is again this year for other seeds) so I think it's more likely to be poor quality seed. Because my harvest last year (of everything, not just the sweetcorn) was so abundant, I had too much going on all at once and probably didn't pick the best kernels for saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The last few years I’ve been growing small veg plants and some herbs in a raised bed type box that was here when we bought the house. It was just fashioned from an old pallets from what I can tell. Unfortunately it’s now fallen apart and rotten and unusable. I’d like to get something to replace it but that would be moveable but also that’s OK to leave out all year round!

I like the look of the attached but I fear one windy night might take it out entirely!

Has anyone any recommendations? I don’t have the space to plant directly in the ground unfortunately.

https://www.aosom.ie/item/outsunny-wooden-planter-raised-elevated-garden-bed-with-2-shelves-for-vegetables-flowers~845-475V01.html

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

The last few years I’ve been growing small veg plants and some herbs in a raised bed type box that was here when we bought the house. It was just fashioned from an old pallets from what I can tell. Unfortunately it’s now fallen apart and rotten and unusable. I’d like to get something to replace it but that would be moveable but also that’s OK to leave out all year round!

I like the look of the attached but I fear one windy night might take it out entirely!

Has anyone any recommendations? I don’t have the space to plant directly in the ground unfortunately.

https://www.aosom.ie/item/outsunny-wooden-planter-raised-elevated-garden-bed-with-2-shelves-for-vegetables-flowers~845-475V01.html

300 yoyos for a useable few square feet of timber box?
    I'm fortunate to have a big enough back garden to fit in raised beds and a glasshouse, but I do also use some movable containers. I can move some of them into the glasshouse for winter to stretch the salad season.
    Aldi/Lidl do some nice raised planters, for reasonable price (30 euros I think)

Here's a photo of mine from yesterday:

They also come with a translucent plastic lid to make a mini-greenhouse out of them.

They are heavy enough not to blow away, in fact you should use a very light mix to fill them (e.g. perlite/soil/compost mix)

https://www.lidl.de/de/florabest-hochbeet-mit-haube/p293445

I like the look of the attached but I fear one windy night might take it out entirely! https://www.aosom.ie/item/outsunny-wooden-planter-raised-elevated-garden-bed-with-2-shelves-for-vegetables-flowers~845-475V01.html

One of it's selling points: "Spacious space to load more mud" ... yeah, I think I'd spend my 300€ on something else.

The whole feel of that site looks like a UK front for a Chinese* supplier. Nothing .ie about it at all, so I'd steer well clear.

Edit: *Ningbo Two Birds Co Ltd

Get a local Men's Shed or equivalent to knock you up something similar for a third of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Oh sorry when I said I like the look of it, I literally meant how it looks. €300 is extortionate for that IMO. Especially when I could probably make something not dissimilar myself. I just meant would something like that be practical for growing small tomato plants and some herbs while also being moveable?

Because it will be out all year and sitting in eyeline no matter where you are in the garden I want to like how it looks. The lidl boxes are very practical but I’m not keen on the look for the garden really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Sowed chard, beetroot and sweetcorn into modules today.
    Planning on setting my early spuds tomorrow and sowing some early carrots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I sourced a glass house for free today, theres one in the yard of a derelict cottage, I asked the farmer who bought the cottage for the land if I could have it, he laughed and said I was welcome to it for nothing.

As far as I can tell all the glass is still in tact and the frame is solid.

Now to keep my eyes peeled for a similarly neglected poly tunnel

Advertisement