Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV/sat combiner

Options
  • 15-09-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If I was to combine an aerial signal to sat signals with something like this, is there much of signal loss on either? Does the aerial signal need to be amplified because you are splitting it so much?

Thanks

W.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have something like that - no bother with it. They work well with little loss - maybe 1 or 2 dBs.

There is also an LNB that has an input for an aerial that combines it with the sat signal - that also works well.

The only downside is if you need an amplifier, it is not easy to get the power feed to it. I don't need one, but I'm not sure how I would be able to do it if I did.

The real solution is to get the appropriate high gain aerial. I use a log-periodic which has been great as it is wide band and Saorview changed me from ch 54 to ch 33 (I'm on three rock).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I had to wire up an amplifier power supply for my attic aerial so I have a combiner - short lead - power supply - lead - masthead amp - short lead - aerial

Surely there's more loss going from terrestrial to 4 outputs? is it not -6dB ?
    A 1 - 2 way passive splitter is -3dB right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I had to wire up an amplifier power supply for my attic aerial so I have a combiner - short lead - power supply - lead - masthead amp - short lead - aerial

Surely there's more loss going from terrestrial to 4 outputs? is it not -6dB ?
    A 1 - 2 way passive splitter is -3dB right?

I meant for a single one, but obviously a quad would have about 7 dB or 8 dB. However, I've had no trouble with either the LNB version, the single version, or the quad one.

The total loss on the Saorview side has to include both the splitter and combiner.

Saves a lot of hassle with cables and cable runs. It is a pity that smart TVs that include a sat tuner do not include the combiner/splitter inside the set.

Advertisement