Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pubs to open on Good Friday

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

We did what now exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Cue the annual "Should pubs be closed on Good Friday?" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Pubs are open one more Friday of the year.
    Woohoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Looks like half the country gonna rise from the dead the next day so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ah, probably won't bother stocking up or having a drink this year then.
    Is meat still banned? As long as I can still enjoy my sacrilicious BBQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Thats my day off work ****ed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Every Friday is a good Friday, but next good Friday will be a good good Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It'll be a mad sesh this year and then that'll be the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

St Patrick's Day #2 here we go fuckin yes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

seamus wrote: »

Arthur's day part 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Thats my day off work ****ed now.

Only day off in the year is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

seamus wrote: »

Nope
    Paddy’s day was drink banned and look whatvhappened there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Oh dear, no more drama anymore and people who normally have a few drinks at home on a Friday anyway making a big deal of having to 'stock up' on cans at 10pm on Holy Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

I completely disagree with closing a business because of religious purposes. But seriously, it’s one day a year to let the staff have a Friday off. They work unsociable hours all year, the one day a year was a deserved break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The airport and train stations will be empty now as the alcos can go hang at the end of their usual bar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The power of lobbying.

There was a lot of 'will someone think of the poor tourists.... God love them'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Phew - the publicans are saved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭daheff

Means Good friday is becoming another regular day in the calendar. All us non public sector workers will now lose our unofficial day off.....just like 6th december.

Careful what you wish for boardsies. Law of unexpected consequences at work here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Pints before and after the stations of the cross, lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Phew - the publicans are saved!

But the off licences are screwed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Only day off in the year is it?

It used to be a nice little 4 day weekend for hospitality staff the same as it is for a lot of other workers in the country.
    But not any more.
    But hey! As long as we stuck it to those evil archbishops then that’s the main thing...isn’t it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"eugh can Irish people just not drink for one day"

Sure. Depends on who's asking us not to, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

daheff wrote: »
    Means Good friday is becoming another regular day in the calendar. All us non public sector workers will now lose our unofficial day off.....just like 6th december.

Careful what you wish for boardsies. Law of unexpected consequences at work here

I have never had Good Friday off. In office work and labouring on sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

splinter65 wrote: »
    It used to be a nice little 4 day weekend for hospitality staff the same as it is for a lot of other workers in the country.
    But not any more.
    But hey! As long as we stuck it to those evil archbishops then that’s the main thing...isn’t it?

But they'd be working the other 3 days anyway??

One thing i would have done is to extend the Christmas day closure until 12.30pm on Stephens Day to stop the ridiculous nonsense that happened in Donegal of nightclubs opening just after midnight. The workers in that case should have had the right to fully enjoy their day off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

splinter65 wrote: »
    But not any more.

Nothing stopping a bar or hotel from closing for a day or two to give their staff a day off

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

whiskeyman wrote: »
    But the off licences are screwed!!
    I think we should boycott pubs on Good Friday for the craic now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Whaaat??? But what about all the people who want to make a point by going to the pub on Good Friday, whether it really suits them to go or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

daheff wrote: »

WTF falls on Dec 6th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Absolutely disgraceful. Next thing is people will want the pubs open on Christmas day as well. I think this is very sad that people could not just do without going to the pub for one day. This will just mean more drunks ending up in hospitals and more problems for our already overcrowded and understaffed hospitals and emergency services.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

New Good Friday tradition - the 14 pubs of Easter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Not like its a holiday, I'll be in work as usual on the Night shift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I completely disagree with closing a business because of religious purposes. But seriously, it’s one day a year to let the staff have a Friday off. They work unsociable hours all year, the one day a year was a deserved break

They're not working 365 days a year so will still have days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

This whole thing is such a load of bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

For most people - I reckon - it had nothing to do with not being able to drink one day of the year, it was being told "you can't drink on this day of the year because of my religious beliefs".

I don't fancy being dictated to in my personal life because some cunts think there's another larger judgmental cunt who lives in the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tigger wrote: »
    Nope
    Paddy’s day was drink banned and look whatvhappened there
    Paddy's Day is a public holiday and a national celebration though.

Good Friday is neither. The only reason people partied on Good Friday is because it was banned. Any excuse for a piss up. Now that excuse is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

I think the ban on sales is mad and usually stock up the day before, and moan and complain that its a stupid ban.

Now i dont like that the ban is lifted, the obstacles are removed grrrr

poker night cancelled grrrr:):)

valoren wrote: »
    New Good Friday tradition - the 14 pubs of Easter.

There has to be some sort of game there about 'lashing' pints

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Pretty sure they get more than one day off a year already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have no interest in going to the pub on Good Friday but I'll be damned if my choice is taken away from me.
    I welcome this decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It also meant that part-time workers that might only do a regular one or two nights a week were down money that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And make it the official “Let’s all go to the Off Licence day” with the proviso that we all have to buy/try something that we’ve never had before,

...as well as our usual selection of fine spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Whaaat??? But what about all the people who want to make a point by going to the pub on Good Friday, whether it really suits them to go or not.

Just go to the off licence instead..

And make it the official “Let’s all go to the Off Licence day” with the proviso that we all have to buy/try something that we’ve never had before,

...as well as our usual selection of fine spirits.

No no no..... 12 Offies of Easter

You go to Offie 1 and buy something new
    Then to Offie 2 and buy something new not tried before
    Offie 3 same again, all the way up to Offie 12 where you buy your normal selection, then as soon as its all bought down it as quick as possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

That's a shame. Good Friday house parties were excellent.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But they'd be working the other 3 days anyway??

If you could get the weekend off it’d mean you’d actually have 4 days.
    But that’s all over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

AMKC wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful. Next thing is people will want the pubs open on Christmas day as well. I think this is very sad that people could not just do without going to the pub for one day. This will just mean more drunks ending up in hospitals and more problems for our already overcrowded and understaffed hospitals and emergency services.

Perfect 'won't someone think of the children' reaction. Thank you. I will make sure to be present and correct in a pub at 11am on Good Friday toasting how satisfying this post is.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Pretty sure they get more than one day off a year already.

I think if the hospitality staff can’t have it off, nobody should have it off. Don’t you agree?

• Advertisement
Advertisement