Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience with Visa First

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I recently decided to go to New Zealand on a working holiday visa and called visa first as they help can get your visa sorted for you.

I then researched online and found the http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/

You can get a Visa here online for only 45 GBP/54 euro/120 NZ $

Compare this to the €160 charged by Visa First for the exact same visa this is shocking!

Also the package for them to setup your bank account and Sim card is rubbish this is easily done yourself when you arrive for a lot less money. <snip>

:p Stupidly I had already applied with Visa First without researching. I called Visa First to cancel and they charged me €30 cancelling fee.
    I cancelled as I still stood to save a lot by doing it myself online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

You'll always get that with middlemen, got to love the web for the directness by which you can do things. Well, call it the price of a good lesson, you'll regain your losses by savings made in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭helpwanted1

I totally agree with you. <snip> In my opinion and experience, I chose USIT so I could rest easy that I would have a 'supporting' company that understand the system and therefore the likely problems. I was totally wrong.

After being advised of essential items, documents I needed, I later found this to be untrue and just a revenue stream for them. I sought advice when I was out there only to find it incredibly difficult to get through to them. even when I did they offered minimal help.

My advice is do it yourself. Get the visa yourself and that way you will have a better understanding of it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

fireybabey wrote: »

Compare this to the €160 charged by Visa First for the exact same visa this is shocking!

On their website they say they get it in 48 hours. Is that the same as the one from immigration?

As somebody who has been to Oz for the working holiday the TFN and bank accts are easy to set up but they take time and are hassle. It took me a trip into the City and a lot of queing for my TFN. It might have changed since then. The bank acct was easy enough though (I recommend St. George for anybody reading this, they seemed more helpful than the other banks).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I setup my bank account with visafirst because i didn't mind parting with 24.99 to get the money over, However they tried to sell me WHV, Sim Card, Tax Allocation No & International Driving licence lol no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 El Gringo

Too late for me....:(
    I already let that company take 220euro off me.
    Going this tues to oz so I guess I'l have less to worry bout when Im there. But more money would have been better.

Bit annoyed about the EURO - AUS conversion.
    Checking www.xe.com said I should have got another $400.

Anyone else transfer money with visafirst? (ANZ Bank)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Okay folks, steady a little with the language. Feel free to share your experiences of who is cheaper and who you feel gave you better service, but hold off on the pronouncements of 'rip off artists'. Some of these companies may offer services that you have never had to avail of, at competitive rates, and subsequently they charge more for the small stuff to help make up their margins. That's just business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

hmm actually I don't agree with the rip off label.

This is a company that sells a service a bit like a laundry service.

If you go you a laundry a bag of washing = 15 yo yos (I think)

If you do it yourself in your own machine = 50 cents including electricity

So essentially you are paying someone to organise this task for you what they charge is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Personally I found everything very easy to organise myself. The on-line visa application at immi.gov.au is very straightforward and was approved very quickly. Getting a TFN sent out to me took about a week and could be applied for online and it took five minutes to set up a bank account. I can see that some people would like the convenience of getting someone else to arrange it all for them, fair enough. But there's no real need to spend the money on it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

El Gringo wrote: »
    Too late for me....:(
    I already let that company take 220euro off me.
    Going this tues to oz so I guess I'l have less to worry bout when Im there. But more money would have been better.

Bit annoyed about the EURO - AUS conversion.
    Checking www.xe.com said I should have got another $400.

Anyone else transfer money with visafirst? (ANZ Bank)

I recently transferred money with VISAfirst
    and am missing about 40 euro, even with the fluctuating currency market, I cant figure this out.
    My partner is missing over 90euro with the transfer??

Are we the only ones?
    V annoyed here
    Have emailed VISAfirst and still no reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

All the major banks have parts of their websites dedicated to immigrants showing how to open accounts and send money.

Just DIY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

youngblood wrote: »
    I recently transferred money with VISAfirst
    and am missing about 40 euro, even with the fluctuating currency market, I cant figure this out.
    My partner is missing over 90euro with the transfer??

Are we the only ones?
    V annoyed here
    Have emailed VISAfirst and still no reply

I rang them about that too. i was missing about 700. they said it was the exchange rate from when i transferred it. I had done a month travelling in thailand and the rate had dropped dramatically!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I rang them about that too. i was missing about 700. they said it was the exchange rate from when i transferred it. I had done a month travelling in thailand and the rate had dropped dramatically!

700E?
    Did the stock market crash or something? Seems like an awful lot of money to be missing with currency exchange??

Still awaiting a reply here

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

I've found visafirst ridiculous in just about any dealing I've ever had with them. You know the way they market themselves as being there for the backpacker and being all about the backpacker, I lost my passport early in my stay here. It was before I'd even gotten my ATM card from ANZ (thats a whole other rant) so I had no money and no ID to prove in the bank who I was. When I went to visafirst for some kind of advice, I was told by the girl with a big smile on here face "jaysus, thats fierce bad luck, you're probably going to be homeless so!!" Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting them to give me a handout or anything but basically, they got my money to organise the visa and after that, they wash their hands of you.

A friend of mine also had bother with them. They told him that they'd give him a contact list for looking for work but they never did even after numerous trips in to their office. Then they told him that they'd contact recruitment agencies on his behalf. In two months he never heard a thing from visafirst unless he went into their office or they were trying to sell him another product.

If I had known it was as simple as going to the Australian Immigration website.... hindsight is 20/20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

galloshill wrote: »
    I have to disagree with everything above. I have used and am using Visafirst to help me with my migration visa and have had no trouble with them what-so-ever. It has been a very efficent and professional service in all regards. I got my working holiday through them a few years back and it was great. Didnt want to have to go to the effort of learning all about visa options I just simply picked up the phone and had it a couple of days later. I didnt have to bother with openning bank accounts of worring about tax numbers. they just done it for me. As for the price it is a Business as the OP said and like all business's if you can do it yourself it will be cheaper... I could prob fix an engine in a car myself after learning enough about it but I bring my car to a garage because its suits me to keep it simple.

The same with my skilled visa application it takes the headache out of everything for me. Still in process but sure I dont have to worry about it they do for me... Money transfers was great, I checked rates with AIB, BOI and visafirst and they were the best on the day saved myself nearly 80euro on a transfer.

You can easily get a WHV yourself to go to Oz or Nz through the relitive government website. You have to give the same information as you would have to give to Visafirst so I realy dont see the point in using a middle man.

I also really wouldnt trust someone who only has one post on boards for any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

galloshill wrote: »
    Personally I don't see the different if a user has 1 or 10000. This is a discussion forum where people voice there opinions correct?? This is my opinion. I have noticed posters with hundreds of posts talking complete non-sense before as I am sure everyone has at some stage in some forums. Also I have noticed users with very few posts giving great advise.

Yes I know you can find all the information on immigration's web site. I did state in my last post that I personally like to keep things simple. That for me is letting someone else do the work for me.

Well I see a huge difference in a person who has 1 post on here and a person who has 1000. If a person has 1000 posts you can look back over there posts and see if you think that they give objective advice regarding subjects. You can see if their opinions on subjects parallels your own. You can learn to trust them. You are quite correct that this is a discussion forum where people voice there opinions but I am much more inclined to accept to the opinion of a person I trust. It has happened in the past that people who stand to gain from positive views of services have joined up just to give a positive spin on things and so I don't trust people giving me advise on here until they have posted a number of times. I also think that anyone who do are a bit foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

You'd be tere awhile reading 1000 posts. Fair play to ya doc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

I actually have to agree with the OP I had a great service from them..no complaints what-so-ever

So has noone else had money go missing on them when they transferred with visafirst? apart from me and the other poster above

I've emailed now and still havent heard anything back
    and am v afraid to transfer anymore money till I do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

The_B_Man wrote: »

Threaten legal action and I'm sure they will replay and suddenly discover an admin error!

youngblood wrote: »
    So has noone else had money go missing on them when they transferred with visafirst? apart from me and the other poster above

I've emailed now and still havent heard anything back
    and am v afraid to transfer anymore money till I do!!

how do you figure that money wwent missing? what exchanges are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

mood wrote: »
    Threaten legal action and I'm sure they will replay and suddenly discover an admin error!

I transferred the money in may 2008, then went to thailand end of june, got to Oz end of july then used the exchange rate and calculated how much i should have. they gave me the exchange rate of when i did actually transfer it and it seemed to add up, taking into account their own fee.

how do you figure that money wwent missing? what exchanges are you using?

I used the exchange rates from that day-well I used 3 different bank rates that were available that day, worked them out individually, then also did the average rate for all banks for the day and still couldnt see where the money went,

Their fee was taken into account before I did my conversions

Just to highlight what VISAfirst actually do,

They apply for a Working Holiday Visa -which can be done yourself directly before you leave and is much cheaper

They send on your personal documents to a bank to open up an account- You still need to go to the bank in person and provide these documents -which you can just do yourself, I was led to believe by VISAfirst that you could not do this on your own. This is not the case

They can provide you with a SIM card- I was told by VISAfirst that prepay SIM cards were impossible to get in NZ without being a permanent resident- This was also not the case and is much cheaper if you do it yourself

Next the Inland Revenue Department number-IRD number-what you need to pay tax etc.
    This is the biggest joke of all-They do not provide you with an IRD number, you must do it all yourself once you land in the country by heading down to the local post office and bringing passport and driving license.

Also please bear in mind this- If you are travelling from Ireland to NZ via Australia, you must have an australian holiday visa. Even if you are only in transit. I had to buy mine in Dublin airport before I departed but thanks to a very nice woman at check in who recommended I double check if I needed a holiday visa for transit through Australia. Luckily I did and was saved the hassle of being refused entry into Australia. I would not have known this otherwise

So in reality, the only thing VISAfirst actually do is send on some documents to a bank for your bank account which you can just do yourself once you land in the country. (plus its not as if they even open it for you, you still have to do that yourself!!!!)

I was ignorant and paid dearly for not thoroughly researching the excessive charges VISAfirst have for practically nothing.

Hope someone else learns from my mistake

PS their support once your in the country is zilch, emails to the company take anything from 4-8working days to get a reply. And the replies are curt and sharpish to boot!! Please dont waste your money!!
    I'll gladly provide any information free via PM which you'll need to work in NZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ireland10000

has anyone done a bricklaying assessment with visa first to get tafe trade papers to be able to get skilled visa 4 australia would b great if someone did because im hoping to try this way to get a visa

heard of that ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ireland10000

where did u hear about it

where did u hear about it

Most people would ask WHAT did I hear about it.....
    Marketing people would be different of course.

A friend looked into it before, he has a fair amount of information about ti at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sandz81

Can someone tell me what is the real email address and website of visa first global? Thanks

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

sandz81 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what is the real email address and website of visa first global? Thanks

Do you mean Visa First? A google search turns up no results for Visa First Global.

If you are using them to apply for a working holiday visa then I will be honest and say I can think of no good reason in the world to use them as you can do all of the stuff online yourself through the Australian immigration website www.immi.gov.au.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 AgentRhea

I agree. I'm a migration agent myself and find it somehow unethical to charge someone £300-£500 to assist someone to apply for WHV when this can be done easily online by the individual. I feel it's like capitalising on someone's ignorance. When I get WHV visa enquiries, I inform them straight away that they can easily apply online and the save their money.

Advertisement