Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legit IPTV anytime soon?

Options
  • 12-12-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Bought a new tv for the front room. No satellite or aerial feed but do have wired Ethernet broadband. It's a smart tv with SmartIPTV already installed.

Only have Netflix working on it at the moment. Don't really want to run cables from the satellite and install an aerial to get the FTA channels.

Do you think there'll be a legit IPTV provider anytime soon?

Thinking of just getting the not so legit set up for the moment. You'd think this would be something companies should be offering now.

Is Eir an IPTV service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Eir is IPTV but they supply you with an eir Vision box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Both Eir and Vodafones TV services are IPTV.

I often think people are looking for an equivalent free to air Tv streaming services thats like Saorview or freesat and the like. I dont see that happening anytime soon as there is no money in it for the huge investment it requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Both Eir and Vodafones TV services are IPTV.

I often think people are looking for an equivalent free to air Tv streaming services thats like Saorview or freesat and the like. I dont see that happening anytime soon as there is no money in it for the huge investment it requires.

Not even free, but with decent Broadband and several streaming and IPTV sites, I would have thought someone would offer live channels on a subscription basis.

I thought with decent Broadband this would be the way we would be receiving our live tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They do.

Now TV?
    Eir Vision?
    Vodafone TV?

There are others.

The fact is, for all the streaming possiblities, it remains the fact that some of us...you know...want to watch our tv on a.....television! And want a “lean back” interface to do it; rather than messing about on a website. One that offers us a remote control and an EPG preferably.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    They do.

Now TV?
    Eir Vision?
    Vodafone TV?

There are others.

The fact is, for all the streaming possiblities, it remains the fact that some of us...you know...want to watch our tv on a.....television! And want a “lean back” interface to do it; rather than messing about on a website. One that offers us a remote control and an EPG preferably.

I'm talking about watching it on a television, not sitting at my computer desk.

I'm not talking about a website. I'm saying I thought the delivery would be through broadband. Interface could be very similar to any of the current set top boxes.

I do realise there would be issues with bandwidth if everyone accessed TV this way. Suppose proper fibre could handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Wheety wrote: »

I'm not talking about a website. I'm saying I thought the delivery would be through broadband. Interface could be very similar to any of the current set top boxes.

I do realise there would be issues with bandwidth if everyone accessed TV this way. Suppose proper fibre could handle it.

You could get a PS4? They're not too expensive, but I have one for gaming so the price of it as an IPTV wasn't a consideration to me (that's just a bonus with it, and it plays DVD's).

It streams wireless and has customised Apps for SkyGo, Netflix, Amazon Prime, NowTV, YouTube, Dailymotion, All4, WWE Network, Twitch, and others. PS3 had the RTE Player, but only SkyGo has the Irish channels live now.

Saorview can be gotten with a little indoor aerial like this depending on your area. That's only £18, and you would simply plug it into the back of your tv and if you are close enough to a transmitter you'll have all the Irish tv and radio stations.

And there's always the option of an internet streaming box. But that option isn't to be discussed here, and does require 'effort'. The options I mentioned above are plug in and instant watch live tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not even free, but with decent Broadband and several streaming and IPTV sites, I would have thought someone would offer live channels on a subscription basis.

I thought with decent Broadband this would be the way we would be receiving our live tv.
    icdg wrote: »
    Now TV?
    Eir Vision?
    Vodafone TV?

Theres a technical difference here thats very important.

Lets say one channel is 5Mb. With NowTV 100 homes on a node watching are streaming 500Mb. With Vodafone/Eir they're streaming 5Mb. If all our TV watching was moved to a VOD platform like youtube tomorrow morning the internet for the entire country would grind to a halt.

The bandwidth from the home to the exchange is now there, but the national infra is far from it. Multicast based systems (integrated with Eir Wholesale/SIRO) are the only scalable solution at the minute. 100% OTT is probably close to a decade away.

OP: Slingbox? Saorview decoder beside antenna, network to viewer at TV(s) where you want it.

Tried one of the dodgy subscriptions and was shocked at how good the quality was. Was stuttering a but then realised it was using wifi as my Ethernet connection wasn't connected to the router. Once it was running on cable it was very good. This is all through Smart IPTV app on the tv. This is a legit app which doesn't supply any channels itself.

That is the kind of service I wouldn't mind paying a legitimate company for.

The EPG was ok too. Will see what else is out there.

I'm not asking for any info on these types of subscription nor will I give any.

I totally agree. I should be able to setup Saorview connect and the UK freeview channels using an app on my smart TV without the need for ariels, dishes or set top boxes. Until then, people will find "alternative" solutions.

It's disappointing with Saorview connect being a new service that there was no forward thinking like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP, the short answer is no.
    There are some IPTV services like Eir but they do not use the generic IPTV standard so you need to use their hardware to decode it.

An alternative for you is to setup an internal IPTV distribution.

You need to feed your satellite/aerial feeds to an IPTV server which then distributes the signal over the network throughout your house. You can then play the channels using Smart IPTV or any other IPTV client you choose.

A Linux server running TVHeadend seems to be very popular. You will probably end up with a better setup but it might be more work than running cables .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

Sky have an IPTV plan which is supposed to be launching this year - no mention of it being in Ireland.

http://www.digitaltveurope.com/2017/01/26/sky-moves-beyond-the-dish-with-iptv-plans/

mike2084 wrote:
    Sky have an IPTV plan which is supposed to be launching this year - no mention of it being in Ireland.

I thought Now TV was essentially Sky's version of IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

dubrov wrote: »
    I thought Now TV was essentially Sky's version of IPTV.

Not really, I have it and it works very well, but it’s very limited in the number of channels, you can’t record, series link etc and it’s 720p HD. However, it’s no contract, so you can dip in and out of the service, it’s the tv equivalent of pay as you go. I presume the Sky IPTV service, when it does launch, will be similar to eir TV or Vodafone TV, only with more channels, full HD, all bells and whistles etc. Sky generally don’t do things by half. But if like previous Sky products, it will probably be 12 months later launching in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I've been using more tv for the past 9 months. Don't know about the legality of it but it's a fantastic service and a huge array of channels for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Can you pm me a link for that

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

I've been using IPTV for 2 years now, the savings are colossal, quality is excellent, HD etc.... No recording features but it's a small price to pay for the savings incurred.

I can't says who it's with for obvious reasons though, pm me if you'd like more information on what I'm using.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭techi

Tried one of the dodgy subscriptions and was shocked at how good the quality was. Was stuttering a but then realised it was using wifi as my Ethernet connection wasn't connected to the router. Once it was running on cable it was very good. This is all through Smart IPTV app on the tv. This is a legit app which doesn't supply any channels itself.

That is the kind of service I wouldn't mind paying a legitimate company for.

The EPG was ok too. Will see what else is out there.

I'm not asking for any info on these types of subscription nor will I give any.

Yes I agree smart iptv app it pretty cool along with perfect player. It’s important to get a good supplier as there’s lots of bad ones.

techi wrote: »
    Yes I agree smart iptv app it pretty cool along with perfect player. It’s important to get a good supplier as there’s lots of bad ones.

Personally don't like the smart IPTV app, Perfect Player is good though I agree, but the rolls royce for me is the Mag 256, runs like an absolute dream.

I've tried many suppliers, but delighted with my current one, Irish based too :)

Can we keep this thread to legit iptv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭techi

Personally don't like the smart IPTV app, Perfect Player is good though I agree, but the rolls royce for me is the Mag 256, runs like an absolute dream.

I've tried many suppliers, but delighted with my current one, Irish based too :)

I was under the impression the mag box was capable of recording and catch-up, am I wrong?

techi wrote: »
    I was under the impression the mag box was capable of recording and catch-up, am I wrong?

Apparently the box is capable but the server your connected to must be set up for recording features, the one I use is not currently set up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Look, although this thread started out well, it’s just become a “well I use x illegal company, PM me if you want details” thread, and we cannot allow any encouragement of illegal activity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement