Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing freehub

Options
  • 07-06-2016 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've just ordered a 105 groupset on impulse to replace my 7 year old sora that's really showing its age.
    Just realised that of course the 11 speed cassette won't fit on my 2011 fulcrum racing 5's freehub.

Is it possible to change the freehub to one that will accomadate the 11 seed?

The bikes a 2009 Allez btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Wiggle have them.
    Not cheap. Maybe available cheaper, elsewhere.

http://www.wiggle.com/fulcrum-shimanosram-freehub-body-racing-5-and-7/

Sorry, just noticed, that's 10 speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's what I was just looking at
    It says Silver Shimano/Sram 9/10/11 so wouldn't that mean it fits 11 speed?
    Not cheap but much cheaper than buying new ones and the ones I have are in good condition.
    I just want to be sure that freehub will fit on to my older wheel.

Edit: I see now, it says Shimano/Sram 9/10/11 and then Shimano 8/9/10 underneath

In one place, it says 8/9/10, in another 9/10/11. I'm not sure.
    It's moot anyway, not in stock.

Here's another one, seems to be clear, that it's 9/10/11

http://www.i-ride.co.uk/Fulcrum-Freehub-Body-for-Racing-5-and-Racing-7.aspx#options

Mad dear.

• Advertisement

Yup that seems to be the standard price for them but a new set would cost me €360.
    I'll have to go for it since I really want the groupset upgrade.
    If anyone can think of a reason why this 11 speed hub won't fit on my older wheels let me know please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Before buying anything check to make sure your current freehub doesn't accept an 11spd cassette as the 2012 Quattros I had took an 11spd cassette.

If not they're very easy to change. All you need is a 17mm spanner (maybe it's 15mm for the Five's) and 5mm Allen key. Put the Allen key in the hole on the drive side and loosen the nut with the spanner. Slip out the spacer and rotate the freehub while pulling gently and it should pop right off. Fitting the new one is just the reverse, turn the freehub and the pawls should Spring down due to the turning motion but if not get a small screw driver and push them in as you push the freehub downwards. Refit the spacer and nut and bobs your cousins father.

Bit cheaper here> http://www.totalcycling.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=19018

This seems like a reasonable price
    https://www.bike24.com/p246365.html

Even with postage, that looks good(relatively speaking)

• Advertisement

Too good to be true. That ones for a 12mm steel axle my racing 5 is a 9mm axle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

If you do change the free hub, be aware that you *might* have to re-dish the wheel. The instructions will say. I did the same job recently updating my 10 speed group to 11. I have hand built wheels so it wasn't any hassle.

Link not working but I found it. I don't think that's the right one. I see a new set of racing 5s are €208 on that site and the hub will cost me about €100. New wheels may be the smarter option.

Idleater wrote: »
    If you do change the free hub, be aware that you *might* have to re-dish the wheel. The instructions will say. I did the same job recently updating my 10 speed group to 11. I have hand built wheels so it wasn't any hassle.

I see, I wouldn't have the tools or knowledge to do that :(

I switched a Zonda free hub from 8/9/10 to 9/10/11. There were no issues with re-dishing.
    I have dealt with 4the bike, never any problem.

After more searching it seems that it probably won't need a redish. I will buy the hub.
    I just wanted to get an old bike with a destroyed groupset back on the road, seemed stupid to buy sora for €270 when 105 set was €370 on sale. But now it's cost me €200 extra becasue of the hub, oh well at least it should be a very good winter bike.
    Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tuxy wrote: »
    After more searching it seems that it probably won't need a redish. I will buy the hub.

Like I said, you *might*, and it was a FYI for anyone in similar circumstance as something to research and factor in before buying. It really depends on the hub, and in your case it sounds grand.

E.T.A. €200 for a free hub??? Crikey I paid €90 for my Extralite 11 speed upgrade and presumed I was getting fleeced for buying exotic Italian manufacturing :0 Relishing only cost me €10.

Idleater wrote: »
    Like I said, you *might*, and it was a FYI for anyone in similar circumstance as something to research and factor in before buying. It really depends on the hub, and in your case it sounds grand.

E.T.A. €200 for a free hub??? Crikey I paid €90 for my Extralite 11 speed upgrade and presumed I was getting fleeced for buying exotic Italian manufacturing :0 Relishing only cost me €10.

Yup that is good info and something to know encase I'm giving advice to anyone else about upgrading their hub.

I meant the difference in price from a new sora set to a new 105 was €100 but because I had to pay another €100 for hub the 105 has now cost me €200 extra total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Don't sell anything!

If you're prepared to put up with losing a gear (i.e. running as 10 speed instead of 11 speed) - at least until you wear out the wheel - you can convert the 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed but with 11-speed spacing. Nothing to buy, no re-dishing required either:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

I've been running a wheel like this for some time now, with no issues to report.

Advertisement