Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Political Compass

Options

Comments

Can't leave bluewolf all alone!

pcgraphpng.php?ec=6.88&soc=-7.03

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Weirdos with their right wing economics :p
    Crucify them!
    Crucify them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I remember doing this before, but I can't remember my score. No matter. I like the group graph idea. :)

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.88&soc=-5.90

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-4.88&soc=-5.90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Woah! Hold the horses. I entered my numbers into the group graph but it's not showing the correct numbers now and has me uber authoritarian centre left now. I was actually beside Gandhi centre left and just within the borders of libertarian.

Don't judge myself and blue wolf until you've heard our side of the story! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Calibos wrote: »

Don't judge myself and the true blue libertarian wolf until you've heard our side of the story! :D

FYP.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Woah! Hold the horses. I entered my numbers into the group graph but it's not showing the correct numbers now and has me uber authoritarian centre left now. I was actually beside Gandhi centre left and just within the borders of libertarian.

Decimals and/or positive/negative numbers?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Economic Left/Right: -4.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Not as libertarian as I thought:
    pcgraphpng.php?ec=8.25&soc=-6.31

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pretty much in with the bunch but...

[Nerd alert]I'd be keen to see how the result is derived and how the questions are weighted. I suspect you can arrive at the same coordinate in many different ways, some comprised of many strong views often in opposition to one another, others by milder views in broad agreement. If each answer to each question has an individual coordinate position, the result is most likely the mean coordinate. Each answer then also has a distance to this mean coordinate, and this distance is very important. If the mean distance is large, it suggests the final position is a weak indication of the persons political leanings, whereas if it is small, it suggests a stronger indicator. For example, if you give a series of strong left leaning and strong right leaning answers, the mean suggests a position near the centre, which is very far from the truth. Note that distances are best broken down into horizontal and vertical components in this case to form an error ellipse. Like so much in statistics, considering the mean without the distribution may prove meaningless[/Nerd alert]

303953.JPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No chance. Where's my pitchfork, assemble the lynch mob! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

legspin wrote: »
    As I get older I'm moving further left and libertarian. I expect to be completely in the bottom left box in about 5 years.
    Benny_Cake wrote: »
    ..as I've grown older I think I've developed some anarchist leanings from seeing what power does to people.

I thought the conventional wisdom was that people got more right wing as they got older? As in "lefty students protesting at corporate greed", and then a few years later donning the suit and tie, and complaining about the irresponsible youth of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interesting that all EU goverments are listed in the top right blue square.
    No wonder A&A are such a disgruntled lot.
    And the toppest rightest political leader of them all is the former chairman of the "communist" :pac: party in China.

I got -4.75 economic and -1.38 social. When I saw the question about the death penalty I immediately thought of Larry Murphy (yeah, go for it), and that combined with my "eye for an eye" morality possibly makes me more of a fascist than others here, despite my having liberal views on most things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

recedite wrote: »
    I thought the conventional wisdom was that people got more right wing as they got older? As in "lefty students protesting at corporate greed", and then a few years later donning the suit and tie, and complaining about the irresponsible youth of the day.

Conventional wisdom is wrong. What actually happens is that the outline of your political views tends to solidify between you getting the vote and your mid twenties. So while you can change your opinion on specifics, if you're a leftie or a rightie early on, that is most probably where you're going to stay.

Updated graph.
    Biscuits to the usual address.
    Ta.

crowdgraphpng.php?Kiwi_In_Ie=-3.6%2C-5.3&The_Chizler=-2.1%2C-4.5&Pherekydes=-6.9%2C-5.9&Sulla_Felix=-3.3%2C-4.8&Orion=-5.6%2C-6.5&Pope_Palpatine=-4.5%2C-6.8&Turtwig=-4.5%2C-7.4&Legspin=-8.3%2C-9.1&Ninja900=-5.3%2C-6.7&Calibos=-7.0%2C10.0&Bluewolf=9.8%2C-7.8&Thedoctor=-1.4%2C-0.8&Absolam=-5.6%2C-2.8&Redfacedbear=-4.3%2C-5.2&Bannasidhe=-6.8%2C-7.3&Skrynesaver=-8.4%2C-4.5&Obliq=-5.4%2C-7.7&Doctor_Doom=-7.0%2C-5.4&Diego_Simeone=-5.0%2C-6.5&Sink=-0.6%2C-5.1&Spacetime=-7.3%2C-8.2&Sw=12.0%2C10.5&Keane=-6.5%2C-6.9&Rughdh=-5.6%2C-8.1&Sciencenerd=-0.8%2C-5.8&Fouxdafafa=-5.4%2C-4.8&Agent_Smith=0.4%2C1.7&Marienbad=-5.9%2C-9.2&Mark_Hamill=-7.0%2C-5.5&Dazmarz=-2.5%2C-1.8&Benny_Cake=-8.8%2C-7.7&Robindch=-4.0%2C-6.4&Brian_Shanahan=-9.5%2C-9.0&Wprathead=-6.5%2C-6.8&Ulysses1874=-3.5%2C-5.4&Gvn=6.9%2C-7.0&Pauldla=-4.9%2C-5.9&Oscarbravo=-4.3%2C-7.5&Blowfish=8.3%2C-6.3&Smacl=-4.1%2C-4.6&recedite=-4.8%2C-1.4%3Cdiv%20style=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

Garph (yes, garph)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's weird, I'm stunningly consistent with this test... I've taken it a good few times, and no matter how many times I take it (when I'm not taking the piss and giving deliberately "extreme" answers), I always end up in roughly the same area; a little left of centre, a little bit libertarian... not as leftie or as libertarian as I think myself, unless the test is lying to me!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Yes I had heard that. However, although I have always been fairly liberal in social outlook, economically I used to be much further to the right.

The conventional wisdom also tells people who don't want to have kids that they'll want to have kids somedays. It's the height of ignorance and arrogance, this conventional wisdom lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-2.25&soc=-6.15

Feel I'm more economically right than the compass suggests.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Updated graph.
    Biscuits to the usual address.
    Ta.

crowdgraphpng.php?Kiwi_In_Ie=-3.6%2C-5.3&The_Chizler=-2.1%2C-4.5&Pherekydes=-6.9%2C-5.9&Sulla_Felix=-3.3%2C-4.8&Orion=-5.6%2C-6.5&Pope_Palpatine=-4.5%2C-6.8&Turtwig=-4.5%2C-7.4&Legspin=-8.3%2C-9.1&Ninja900=-5.3%2C-6.7&Calibos=-7.0%2C10.0&Bluewolf=9.8%2C-7.8&Thedoctor=-1.4%2C-0.8&Absolam=-5.6%2C-2.8&Redfacedbear=-4.3%2C-5.2&Bannasidhe=-6.8%2C-7.3&Skrynesaver=-8.4%2C-4.5&Obliq=-5.4%2C-7.7&Doctor_Doom=-7.0%2C-5.4&Diego_Simeone=-5.0%2C-6.5&Sink=-0.6%2C-5.1&Spacetime=-7.3%2C-8.2&Sw=12.0%2C10.5&Keane=-6.5%2C-6.9&Rughdh=-5.6%2C-8.1&Sciencenerd=-0.8%2C-5.8&Fouxdafafa=-5.4%2C-4.8&Agent_Smith=0.4%2C1.7&Marienbad=-5.9%2C-9.2&Mark_Hamill=-7.0%2C-5.5&Dazmarz=-2.5%2C-1.8&Benny_Cake=-8.8%2C-7.7&Robindch=-4.0%2C-6.4&Brian_Shanahan=-9.5%2C-9.0&Wprathead=-6.5%2C-6.8&Ulysses1874=-3.5%2C-5.4&Gvn=6.9%2C-7.0&Pauldla=-4.9%2C-5.9&Oscarbravo=-4.3%2C-7.5&Blowfish=8.3%2C-6.3&Smacl=-4.1%2C-4.6&recedite=-4.8%2C-1.4%3Cdiv%20style=

I think you have me a square too far down on the libertarian scale. I'm actually -10/-7.8 (the -9.5/-9 was an old reading).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

Economic Left/Right: -3.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

I think all us Ghandis should get together! It was quite amusing to find out how left of centre I now appear to be. It has come as somewhat of a surprise.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

hate garphs

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Interesting the majority clustering around the same spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

jank wrote: »

Interesting the majority clustering around the same spots.

Probably because we answer as we believe we are and not as we are! Or to put it another way we all lie a lot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Bellatori wrote: »
    Probably because we answer as we believe we are and not as we are! Or to put it another way we all lie a lot!!

It also depends a lot on the weighting. I usually self-identify as a libertarian when it comes to economic matter but I came in quite a bit to the left.

Bellatori wrote: »

Lets just say that the graph is American biased, or in other words, the graph is assuming that the people that are answering it are far more to the right than people who think for themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In other words people with right-wing leanings cannot think for themselves? A tad on unfair on GW, Bluewolf and Blowfish.

• Advertisement

It's bluewolf!

Jeez, get it right. :pac:

Advertisement