Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Antifa161 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to slow cook something like pulled pork in a conventional fan oven? How about using an induction hob?
    Stheno wrote: »
    Nope, I asked this before. It's due to how constant the very low temp of a slow cooker is, you can't control it as well in anything else.

Like Catho, I've been doing slow roasts to the point of the meat falling apart for years is the oven - both pork and beef - long before I'd ever heard the term "Pulled Pork".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Like Catho, I've been doing slow roasts to the point of the meat falling apart for years is the oven - both pork and beef - long before I'd ever heard the term "Pulled Pork".
    i do my bbq ribs low and slow (4-5 hours) in the oven regularly and they are always falling off the bone.

for me though, the slow cooker is handy for 'set and forget' cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I made Massaman curry in the slow cooker today. I used the recipe from the boardsie Curry Addict (see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056172200&page=4) and tweaked it a bit... I put in a stock pot but no water, the only liquid was the tin of coconut milk. I also used chicken breast instead of beef.

I foolishly put the chopped potatoes in raw, thinking 'ah sure they'll be well cooked in 8 hours'... nope. Spuds were practically still raw when I got home from work. What kind of devilry is that? I ended up taking the spuds out to finish them off in a pot and then added them back in.

Overall it was very successful. The chicken breast was absolutely amazing, really tender and it seemed to have soaked up all the wonderful flavours of the dish. This will be one of our regular slow cooker dinners. We served with boiled rice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never had success with potatoes in the slow cooker, I always do them separately. I think you need the liquid to be bubbling in order for potatoes to cook and the slow cooker just doesn't get hot enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I've never had success with potatoes in the slow cooker, I always do them separately. I think you need the liquid to be bubbling in order for potatoes to cook and the slow cooker just doesn't get hot enough.

+1 I added them to a stew once (on top) and they came out terrible (mushy). I cook them separately too. I suppose you could add them in for the last hour but it's kinda hard to judge IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The last few times I've put halved baby spuds into the slow cooker and they've turned out fine, weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Dolbert wrote: »
    The last few times I've put halved baby spuds into the slow cooker and they've turned out fine, weird!

Had them in mine and they turned out grand, as did all the other veg, left them and the ham fillet on high for 5 hours but made a schoolboy error :(

Never thought to cut the rind / skin off the the ham, the fat soaked in to the other stuff, left sort of a metallic taste :(

Have a full chicken that I'm tempted to put in, have been looking at some recipes for it, will see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

vibe666 wrote: »
    i do my bbq ribs low and slow (4-5 hours) in the oven regularly and they are always falling off the bone.

What setting do you use on your oven, please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have a full chicken that I'm tempted to put in, have been looking at some recipes for it, will see how I go.

Don't forget to make a tinfoil 'sling' for under it or it'll fall apart when you go to take it out ;)

hbonbr wrote: »
    usually around 140 on my oven, but it's hard to tell what the actual temperature is. low anyway. :)

i do it with a whole skin off, ribs in pork belly, they get basted with bbq sauce every 20-30 minutes, so they are kept moist. it's a lot of work, but they're the best ribs ever. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

How do things like butternut squash and sweet potatoes fair in the slow cooker? Would I need to par-cook them?

I'm thinking of doing a curry or some kind of African stew next week. Any recipe suggestions would be great! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Hi as title says, does anyone have slow cooker recipes for toddler dinners which are suitable for all the family.

He has reflux and wouldnt be able for spicy foods etc

CaraMay I've merged this with the big Slow Cooker recipes thread. There are quite a few non-spicy recipes in here, and the first post contains a list of handy links to recipes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I have a Tesco slow cooker. I find that when it's on low setting, the liquid in the pot is still bubbling. Is this too hot? I find the meat I cook for 8 - 9 hours on low is not that soft, it's a bit dry and chewy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

vibe666 wrote: »

hbonbr wrote: »

150 celsius for three to three and a half hours for me in the oven.
    Ooooh, that's going on my to do list. Could you give some ball park measurements for the ingredients?

2 ham shanks/hocks (about 2-3 lb each)
    1 red cabbage,
    2 sliced onions
    4 garlic cloves
    some thyme
    2oz raisins
    Pinch nutmeg
    Pinch cinnamon (ground)
    150ml white wine
    600ml veg stock

Firstly do the ham in the slow cooker, I do mine overnight, put it in the slow cooker, cover with water and cook on slow/auto.

Next take them out (after overnight they will be falling to pieces) remove all the fat/bones, tendony bits.

Put back in slow cooker (I wash it out after the ham has cooked overnight, and use the stock/wine) and I shred the ham at this stage.

Then add all the other ingredients (chop up the cabbage) and slow/auto for another six hours.

Those measurements will feed 6-8 people easily, we have ours with baked potato usually

I use potatoes all the time in the slow cooker. I cut them fairly large, bigger than for boiling say, and put them on top, they are not in the liquid. After 6 hours they are fine. Sometimes, to hurry things along, I will have boiled them for 10 mins.

boogle wrote: »
    I have a Tesco slow cooker. I find that when it's on low setting, the liquid in the pot is still bubbling. Is this too hot? I find the meat I cook for 8 - 9 hours on low is not that soft, it's a bit dry and chewy.

My Breville 6.5l also bubbles on low, I naively assume thats normal, though I take your point that the temp must be 100C there. Dunno why its dry and chewy, what meat, how big the pieces?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yep, my breville will get little bubbles around the edges too.

FWIW the low setting will actually get to the same temperature as high, it just takes longer.

did a lovely gammon joint in it on sunday, then finished with a glaze in the oven and it was delicious. :)

soaked it for 24 hours, then fresh water in to cover it and about 15 each of whole cloves and black peppercorns with a 3 decent sized bay leaves.

put it on about 6am on high until the water got to temp, then on low for the rest of the day until 2pm, then into a fan assisted oven @ 200 degrees with a glaze and ready to carve about 30 minutes later.

only other prep was to have some cabbage and spuds pre-boiled to save some time when we got home. spuds went in as roasties and we did a cauli & broc cheese bake and some mash as well and 7 people pretty much polished off a 5kg lump of gammon with all the trimmings, so i did something right! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Wasn't sure if this deserved its own threat but I figure plenty people here will have bought one: how much should I be looking at paying for a piece of meat to make pulled-pork? It doesn't have to be loads as will only be for 2-3 people. And is it likely they have these cuts (shoulder?) out or would I have to request it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wasn't sure if this deserved its own threat but I figure plenty people here will have bought one: how much should I be looking at paying for a piece of meat to make pulled-pork? It doesn't have to be loads as will only be for 2-3 people. And is it likely they have these cuts (shoulder?) out or would I have to request it?

Only once have I gone to my local butcher and they've no had pork shoulder.
    Leg joint would work too.

I think I got 4lbs for a tenner, and that was enough for three people with leftovers for the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Tesco/Dunnes wouldn't have it would they?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tesco/Dunnes wouldn't have it would they?

Possibly if you are very lucky - you are more likely to find a boneless leg (which can also be used for pulled pork) and a lot of the tesco/dunnes ones would be stuffed.

Maybe the in-store butcher, but an actual butcher is definitely your best bet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never seen shoulder in Tesco.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've got it in Tesco a few times. Whenever I've seen it, it has been stuffed with a sage/onion stuffing mix. I just throw the stuffing out and the meat is fine. It's not going to be as good as shoulder from your butcher obviously, but it's not bad, and if you spot it on offer it's a cheap way to get enough to feed 4 pretty comfortably.

the important bit is, that it needs to be a cheap cut of that would traditionally be quite tough if cooked normally due to the fat content and connective tissues, but once you apply low heat for a long period of time, these connective tissues all break down and the fat gets properly rendered out without overcooking the meat, making it tender and juicy.

that's why leg and shoulder work so well, they tick all the above boxes. :)

just try and avoid anything too lean as it will dry out a lot more easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I love my slow cooker so much and I was just thrilled when I found a copy of Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!

165 five star reviews versus only nine one stars; it has to be good, right?

Nope, it is full of revolting recipes that call for multiple cans of soup, dried onion soup mix, velveeta processed cheese etc etc.

Have a sample to whet your appetites:
    Sloppy Chicken

28oz can boneless chicken
    10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
    1 stack butter crackers, crushed
    15 oz can chicken broth
    1.75 oz can of mushroom soup

1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
    2. Cover. Cook on Low 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally.

This book was a New York Times bestseller.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Who uses canned chicken? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Quite a few American recipes/cook books are like that - asking for things like using onion soup powder instead of taking 2 minutes to chop a fricking onion!

I've mentioned before I have a good book from New Zealand by Simon and Alison Holst. If you can get it online I recommend it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It varies. Ask around from butcher to butcher to find out. I've been charged €7 for 1.5kg, €24 for 2.7kg and €20 for 4kg, all bone-in weight.

Advertisement