Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - LGBT situation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

Well to be fair it happens quite a bit over here too.

There was a story in the Irish Times yesterday about a gay man who hadn't yet become sexually active being rejected for blood donations.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I was surprised to hear they had even made it legal before...I wonder if any other countries will do anything about their own laws considering it really highlights that it's a purely homophobic, nonsensical thing to do. If you tick yes and they turn you away for a donation, they're basically telling you you're probably diseased like. Nice. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

On voluntary and anonymous consultations with psychologists, psychotherapists and sexologists at state expense for many who want to get back to normal heterosexual life 95-99 percent of Russian citizens live
    Gays' exclusion from the list of persons banned from donating blood would be "a subversive act."

http://rbth.ru/news/2013/08/26/duma_considering_gay_blood_donation_ban_29205.html

65% of HIV patients are gay men yet only 1-5% of Russians live a non-heterosexual lifestyle? You couldn't make it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

McKrab wrote: »
    Well to be fair it happens quite a bit over here too.

There was a story in the Irish Times yesterday about a gay man who hadn't yet become sexually active being rejected for blood donations.

I think there's a court case coming up to challenge the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Queerty's articles on Nikolai Alekseyev are puzzling me. This one includes part of an earlier one done about him. http://www.queerty.com/update-nikolai-alexeyev-apparently-quits-gay-russian-activism-after-michael-lucas-article-20130828/

Is this just a Russian LGBT spat or is some-one trying to sabotage the Russian LGBT groups?

http://queerid.com/attachments/USER/0/5c28c59e-2d4d-9214-d54b-4d1ea2f5d81_Russia.jpg (Work by ida4 on Newcastle Upon Tyne)

Anyone hear anything about a demonstration @ the Russian embassy in Dublin on Saturday 7th of September?

Anyone hear anything about a demonstration @ the Russian embassy in Dublin on Saturday 7th of September?

The 3rd at the Dail

https://m.facebook.com/events/620539177969027?aref=2&refid=2

The 8th at the embassy

https://m.facebook.com/events/365789256881919?aref=2&refid=25

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Re tomorrow's 7.30 PM Dail protest, ALLOUT have asked that people at the International Day of Protest against the new Russian Laws tomorrow wear Red in symbolism of standing up for love in Russia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Friend of mine started this petition to get a high profile art fair called Manifesta to change its location from Russia to somewhere else in Europe, can ye guys sign it also. Its after causing quite a stir in the Art world !

http://www.change.org/petitions/manifesta-the-european-biennial-of-contemporary-art-we-ask-that-manifesta-2014-reconsider-st-petersburg-as-their-next-location?share_id=NZBqMhwXvM&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

St Petersburg, 3rd September. From Russia with Love.

The Russian LGBT community send their thanks to the world for the support and solidarity they have been receiving internationally.

Some great pictures in these albums.

Americablog.com Article

VK.com photo album

Facebook page with photos

PinkNews is reporting that the Ukrainian Parliament's Commissioner for Human Rights and several of it's MP's are travelling to Brussels to see if it can derogate from the obligations and accords it signed up to with the EU on LGBT rights, shortly after it was stated that it would increase LGBT rights.

aloyisious wrote: »
    PinkNews is reporting that the Ukrainian Parliament's Commissioner for Human Rights and several of it's MP's are travelling to Brussels to see if it can derogate from the obligations and accords it signed up to with the EU on LGBT rights, shortly after it was stated that it would increase LGBT rights.

Have you a link?

Terry Pratchet

This one hits a new low...

Russian MP Alexey Zhuravlev has submitted a bill to the Duma which proposes an ammendment to article 69 of Russian Family Law. This particular article sets out the criteria whereby the state can remove parental rights from a person or couple, it currently allows removal of rights for various reasons including alcoholism, drug abuse, neglect, cruelty etc.

This ammendment seeks to add a new reason; "fact of non traditional sexual orientation"

In theory, if it is discovered you are LGBT you could lose your kids.

The bill cites a study conducted by Mark Regnerus (University of Texas 2012) on how having same-sex parents affects the development of children as being the justifucation for the proposed ammendment, specifically focusing on these findings (the study conludes that the adult children of same-sex parents have increased risks of STD's, suicide, unemployment)

The thinking behind it (as outlined in the bill) is that the recent law "banning propoganda to minors in the media" does not go far enough and it must also be applied in the home also.

Bill as submitted to Russian Parliment (This document is in Russian)

Mark Regnerus study

Huffington Post article

Lesbiru.com article

CBC News article

Fox News article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

To whom it concerns: At 8 PM next Wed 09 Oct, there'll be a meeting at the Gresham Hotel with GLEN and a visiting group of international defenders of LGBT human rights from Russia, Georgia, the Ukraine, Costa Rica and Nigeria. For RSVP, contact info@glen.ie or phone 6728650

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

I see Putins up for the Nobel Prize now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

The peace prize is a joke has been for years,
    besides that you have seen who the "nomination" is from yes ?,

RTE Radio I is running an interview now live with Human Rights defenders from around the world, including a Russian Journalist and a UN Special Raporteur

bitburger wrote: »
    I see Putins up for the Nobel Prize now.

There is a less well known russian nominee for this year's prize - Lyudmila Alexeyeva

She's 86 years old and has been a human rights activist in Russia for over 50 years. She is extremely critical of the recent anti-gay laws saying the law was "a step toward the middle ages" and "In normal countries, no one persecutes representatives of sexual minorities."

She's received countless death threats, she's been arrested repeatedly and she was even (aged 82) assaulted on live TV in 2010 as she paid her respects to the victims of a bombing.

She deserves it more than Putin ever will, she has real courage.

• Advertisement

In August the New York Times posted the following invitation on their website

Tell Us About Your Experiences Being Gay in Russia / Быть геем в России: расскажите о вашем личном опыте

Earlier this week they published some of the stories they received.

Link here

Story 8 is actually quite uplifting,
    I grew up in Vladivostok, a port city in Russia’s Far East that most Americans have never heard of. As a teen I did not stop to consider my sexuality, but I did dream of travel. My first trip to America was in 2007, when I was 19. I was accepted to a student exchange program and assigned to spend the summer serving popcorn in a movie theater in San Francisco. There was this guy at work and someone told me he was gay, and it was like I had been told, “He just got out of prison.” I remember my first feeling was that I had to avoid him because I’d been warned about these sorts of people when I was young. He was about 30 years old, this Mexican guy, and one day he offered me something to drink. And I thought, “I am not going to take anything from him!”

That same trip in San Francisco, I stopped a lady to ask for directions and then when I heard a male voice I realized it was a guy. Oh my God! I didn’t show it in my face, but I was in shock. Back in Vladivostok, a transsexual person was something that existed only in the movies. I remember my first thought was, “Well, he’s walking around the city and he’s not afraid. And it’s O.K. Really? Is it possible?”

As I became a dancer and took jobs and studied in other countries, I did not grasp what I was escaping. But little by little I began to understand. I was walking along the street in Barcelona with my first real boyfriend. Suddenly he took my hand. Oh my God. I freaked out so strongly. I was looking around to see if someone was watching us or judging us. I thought someone would punch us in the face or spit at us. I still had that old Russian mentality. But nothing happened.

Now I’m studying and working in New York. Just 35 minutes ago I kissed my boyfriend in a coffee shop. I would still never do that in Vladivostok. I talk to my gay friends back home and many of them don’t see it as bad because they have gotten used to living under certain kinds of rules. But under these rules, nothing ever changes. In small cities and rural villages, gay people just go on, seeming like something from a fairy tale.

Sasha Korbut, 26, New York

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

If you talk to a lot of Russians in Ireland who have come over it is interesting to get their perspective. Homosexuality was only decriminalized between adults in 1993 there. Homosexuality was officially removed from the Russian list of mental illnesses in 1999!

"Public opinion in Russia tends to be among the most hostile toward homosexuality in the world—outside predominantly Muslim countries and some parts of Asia—and the level of intolerance has been rising.A 2013 survey found that 74% of Russians said homosexuality should not be accepted by society (up from 60% in 2002), compared to 16% who said that homosexuality should be accepted by society. In a 2007 survey, 68% of Russians said homosexuality is always wrong (54%) or almost always wrong (14%). In a 2005 poll, 44% of Russians were in favor of making homosexual acts between consenting adults a criminal act, at the same time, 43% of Russians supported a legal ban on discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. In 2013, 16% of Russians surveyed said that gay people should be isolated from society, 22% said they should be forced to undergo treatment, and shockingly 5% said homosexuals should be "LIQUIDATED"."

LIQUIDATED ????

The statute says it is effectively illegal to hold any gay pride events, speak in defence of gay rights, or say that gay relationships are equal to heterosexual relationships.

In a country where 5 % of people think LGTB people should be liquidated it is illegal to speak in defence of gay rights.??????? That is terrifying. It is also key ..it is illegal to speak in defence of gay rights ...for teachers etc and writers...

On 21 July 2013, four Dutch tourists were arrested for allegedly discussing gay rights with Russian youths. The four were arrested for allegedly spreading "propaganda of nontraditional relationships among the under-aged" after talking to teens at a camp in the northern city of Murmansk.

Anton Krasovsky, a television news anchor at government-run KontrTV, was immediately fired from his job in January 2013 when he announced during a live broadcast that he is gay and disgusted by the legislation that had been proposed although had not yet passed.

I have a Russian female friend who is not a homophobe but she only actually really came to understand what being gay actually is over here.

She explained also that Racism and sexism is more accepted in Russia and that actually in modern Russia there really is not concept of human rights. It is difficult to have an agreed upon standard of equality in such a society. As they do not believe that any humans automatically get that right or are dissuaded from forming this model.

I have talked to a Russian mother who said her daughter is being taught equality and recycling in her school and she thinks it can be demeaning to her own needs.

Russia is an oligarchy and it does not have the social structures and freedom of culture or freedom of speech necessary to have a democratic society or the freedom of culture and speech to show 'alternative lifestyles' or 'other' lived experiences.

Not to mention that life is very hard for people there and they tend not to sympathise easily. They believe in being overly stoic and a sense of insensitivity can be a result.

The image of stoicism is an important cultural tool in keeping ordinary Russians believing that life is tough and that they are not owed anything by their government.

Gay people and ordinary Russians ALL accept an abuse of their human rights in Russia in sometimes the most terrible way. There is a complacency of acceptance. They don't feel there is anything they CAN do. And because the govt has no conscience and will and has done anything in the past they may be right.

The structure of govt in Russia is rule under boot. It is thuggery. Putin has ruled with thuggery.

It is really partly the west's fault too.

Really Putin has abused human rights since coming into power of various groups and the west has not really launched an offensive. And so group after group has been targeted. Journalists who disagree with him, different ethnicities, people who do not support the orthodox church etc. And of course gay people.

It has got to stop.

But not just for gay people. This recent bill of course is inhumane and must be opposed.

But you cannot dismantle the master's house by using the master's tools. Asking for better rights for one group is allowing the mindset of that master to shape the debate. It would be like asking for equal rights for only rich white gay people.

A recent study showed racist attitudes were present in 50 % of Russians. In 2006, Amnesty International reported that racism and homophobia in Russia was “out of control” and estimated the number of Russian neo-Nazis at around 85,000 in 2008. Neo Nazis are the most brutal of the homophobic campaign. Peoples of the caucus ( natives of the caucus and central asia) and Jews are under constant attack. The president of Georgia went so far as to accuse Russia of ethnic cleansing. That is how brutal society is there. To expect people to be able to formulate a view of human rights for all in such a society is not realistic.On 21 April 2001, there was a massacre in a market in Moscow's Yasenevo District against merchants from the Caucasus.International rights groups have described the current situation as the worst human rights climate in the post-Soviet era.

The Russian orthodox church responded by suggesting that Neo Nazis legally preventing crime and immoral behavior. And then THIS BILL IS PASSED ....so it basically gives them a big push to act against gay people.

In the Moscow Serbsky Institute many prominent Soviet dissidents had been incarcerated after having been diagnosed with sluggishly progressing schizophrenia. I bet dissidents might also be charged with homosexuality in future.

They are also re-writing history ...Tchaikovsky was no longer gay apparently ..

I would argue we should boycott all russian products.

I am sick of the west kissing the arses of Tyrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

Lou.m wrote: »

"Public opinion in Russia tends to be among the most hostile toward homosexuality in the world—outside predominantly Muslim countries and some parts of Asia—and the level of intolerance has been rising.A 2013 survey found that 74% of Russians said homosexuality should not be accepted by society (up from 60% in 2002), compared to 16% who said that homosexuality should be accepted by society. In a 2007 survey, 68% of Russians said homosexuality is always wrong (54%) or almost always wrong (14%). In a 2005 poll, 44% of Russians were in favor of making homosexual acts between consenting adults a criminal act, at the same time, 43% of Russians supported a legal ban on discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. In 2013, 16% of Russians surveyed said that gay people should be isolated from society, 22% said they should be forced to undergo treatment, and shockingly 5% said homosexuals should be "LIQUIDATED"."

LIQUIDATED ????

Liquidated is an old soviet concept, it literally means all traces of your life are cleaned up and its effects cancelled out. This happened to enemies of the regime, ever seen that photo of Stalin on a boat and there is a second one with a man on his left perfectly edited out? He was liquidated, it probably means life in prison or death.

With regards to that woman's complaints about being taught equality in Irish schools, I have no tolerance for attitudes like that, if she wants to live in the west she has to respect our culture, if she is so opposed to it she can always go back to Russia.

ever seen that photo of Stalin on a boat and there is a second one with a man on his left perfectly edited out? He was liquidated, it probably means life in prison or death.

Very famous picture. Nicolai Yezhov, the head of the NKVD (secret police).

After he fell out of favour with Stalin he was arrested and tortured. He subsequently confessed to treason and a wide range of other crimes (including homosexuality) and was tried in a secret court. There was such secrecy surrounding his trial that he was executed the next day in the basement of a nearly police station instead of in the execution chamber in Lubyanka Prison.

Nikolai-Yezhov-Stalin-Canal-Moscu-Volga_TINIMA20120328_1139_5.jpg
    stalin1%2B2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Liquidated is an old soviet concept, it literally means all traces of your life are cleaned up and its effects cancelled out. This happened to enemies of the regime, ever seen that photo of Stalin on a boat and there is a second one with a man on his left perfectly edited out? He was liquidated, it probably means life in prison or death.

With regards to that woman's complaints about being taught equality in Irish schools, I have no tolerance for attitudes like that, if she wants to live in the west she has to respect our culture, if she is so opposed to it she can always go back to Russia.

I think you misunderstand what she was saying. She agrees with it in majority. She supports gay rights. I just think Russian culture is more self centric. I think that was what she was expressing. I think she agrees with the majority of what her daughter is learning.

I do take on board what you are saying though. But she is quite liberal in Russian terms in fact probably so liberal that she could not live there again now. I think people in the west have blinkers on when it comes to Russia. It is scary and quite a mess socially and politically it is not a democracy. And attitudes towards non Russians are not great. They seem to have a sense of superiority and it is taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

I think you misunderstand what she was saying. She agrees with it in majority. She supports gay rights. I just think Russian culture is more self centric. I think that was what she was expressing. I think she agrees with the majority of what her daughter is learning.

I do take on board what you are saying though. But she is quite liberal in Russian terms in fact probably so liberal that she could not live there again now. I think people in the west have blinkers on when it comes to Russia. It is scary and quite a mess socially and politically it is not a democracy. And attitudes towards non Russians are not great. They seem to have a sense of superiority and it is taught.

That seems true, its like Putin everyone in the west sees him as a dictator but somehow in Russia the whole Macho image seems to make people over there more receptive to him.

The entire place is a mess though, look at Georga when they invaded for no real reason, or Pussy Riot, one of them has just disappeared into the gulags.

Socially its a big mess, you have neo nazis (yes Russian Nazis never new that was possible) who go around abducting and torturing gay people and the police do nothing, they have also infiltrated the Russian football teams to the point there AFK Moscow is looking at a ban from international football for hooliganism.

The sense of superiority may be a USSR relic, they were brainwashed to think that Russia is the best (even over over SSRs) I guess that idea won't die down. To be fair even though I am the first post cold war generation to be born in England there is still a strong element of distrust towards the Russians in the UK, probably a similar result.

Maybe a glimmer of hope? Looks like the leader of the anti-gay group behind the attacks has had to leave Russia.

http://www.queerty.com/antigay-terrorist-and-founder-of-occupy-pedophilia-hightails-it-out-of-russia-20131111/

On a sadder note came across this photo of what is apparently two gay men being shot by a Cheka officer during WW2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

I would argue we should boycott all russian products.

Do you have Gas central heating?

While anyone can and should be rightly critical of intolerance, ther is so much intolerance around the world why single out Russia?

Do you have Gas central heating?

While anyone can and should be rightly critical of intolerance, ther is so much intolerance around the world why single out Russia?
    Perhaps we expect more of them?

• Advertisement

Seriously? The clue is in the thread title.

If you want to expand the scope of the discussion by all means go ahead but I would suggest you start a new thread.

Advertisement