Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I took in a little semi-feral cat last year I named her Suki. I was told she was 3 but I suspected she was much older. She was a quiet little thing. On Thurs Evening she wasnt well so brought her to the vets. Turns out she had a huge ulcer in her mouth and was given meds. Was totally off her food last nite and just curled up under my son's bed for a few hours. This morning I found her dead :(:(
    She wasn't the same as my other house cats but I grew very fond of her and shall miss her. I'm just glad she was snug and warm during her last hours and not out in the cold.

RIP Suki xx

599971_10150994472604947_1628040352_n.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ziggy23 wrote: »
    I took in a little semi-feral cat last year I named her Suki. I was told she was 3 but I suspected she was much older. She was a quiet little thing. On Thurs Evening she wasnt well so brought her to the vets. Turns out she had a huge ulcer in her mouth and was given meds. Was totally off her food last nite and just curled up under my son's bed for a few hours. This morning I found her dead :(:(
    She wasn't the same as my other house cats but I grew very fond of her and shall miss her. I'm just glad she was snug and warm during her last hours and not out in the cold.

RIP Suki xx

599971_10150994472604947_1628040352_n.jpg

I'm glad little Suki had a warm, safe place in her last hours. You did a very good deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My childhood cat Bo died on the 5th of November 2005. He was a beautiful animal, strong and fierce but yet so affectionate. He was 8 when he died and had a bowel blockage, the vet misdiagnosed him and sent him home, we presumed he was allright. I remember that evening well it was a Sunday and I was still living with my parents, my father and I returned home in the car and he was lying on the doormat. I didn't think anything of it until I approached him and saw his condition. When I picked him up he yelped. As we were driving down to the vets with him he was getting colder and colder, he kept his stare upwards looking at me. When they put him down I held his paw and whispered comforting words in his ear, I cried a lot that day. People don't realise how close you become to a cat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My wife and I have had a west highland terrier by the name of Prada for the last 13 years.
    She was our first pet and we got her shortly after we built our home, in north co. Dublin.
    She had a lucky escape some 9 years ago when a pack of greyhounds attacked her and tore open her neck and wounded her abdomen and legs, but O'Scannails in Swords brought her back to health and she was fine, but a nervous dog after.
    We gave a home to a second little dog, a scruffy ball of rags called Bailey, and after early instruction on place in the pecking order, they were great friends.
    This morning someone knocked her down and, taking her to O'Scannails, she was put to sleep, as she was in pain and keeping her alive would have been selfish on out part.
    My mam came with me to the vets and my wife arrived shortly after from work.
    Very very sad all round, and quite a few tears shed.
    So, home then, found a nice spot in the garden for her and made a resting place, my brother is going to create a nice marker for it.
    My son is yet to come home from school.
    Haven't told him yet but will simply say she was found ill by the side of the road, she was brought to the vets where she fell asleep and died.
    Wouldn't be fair to have him think of her as knocked down, he is 9 so he's known Prada all his life, so I can't yet tell you how upset he is going to be.
    We'll cross that bridge I suppose.
    Anyway,
    Here's to Prada, the rufty tufty, roundy Westie, who was such a great companion for so long, may she be at peace.
    GYwHVYQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My wife and I have had a west highland terrier by the name of Prada for the last 13 years.
    She was our first pet and we got her shortly after we built our home, in north co. Dublin.
    She had a lucky escape some 9 years ago when a pack of greyhounds attacked her and tore open her neck and wounded her abdomen and legs, but O'Scannails in Swords brought her back to health and she was fine, but a nervous dog after.
    We gave a home to a second little dog, a scruffy ball of rags called Bailey, and after early instruction on place in the pecking order, they were great friends.
    This morning someone knocked her down and, taking her to O'Scannails, she was put to sleep, as she was in pain and keeping her alive would have been selfish on out part.
    My mam came with me to the vets and my wife arrived shortly after from work.
    Very very sad all round, and quite a few tears shed.
    So, home then, found a nice spot in the garden for her and made a resting place, my brother is going to create a nice marker for it.
    My son is yet to come home from school.
    Haven't told him yet but will simply say she was found ill by the side of the road, she was brought to the vets where she fell asleep and died.
    Wouldn't be fair to have him think of her as knocked down, he is 9 so he's known Prada all his life, so I can't yet tell you how upset he is going to be.
    We'll cross that bridge I suppose.
    Anyway,
    Here's to Prada, the rufty tufty, roundy Westie, who was such a great companion for so long, may she be at peace.
    GYwHVYQ.jpg

tears tripping me at work here. they are just the greatest dogs. i have two and i dread the day this comes to my door. my sympathies and RIP prada. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nearly all Westies around north county dublin came from the same kennels, near Swords, a family by the name of Kielys.

When Prada arrived she got the nickname Ubh Ban Romhar , or Fat White Egg, because as a puppy she was that shape, white round hairy belly!

A cracking dog, she had one litter of 7 pups, everyone of which survived and went to great homes.

I remember when she brought them out of her "nest" to show my better half, it was a wonderful moment.

So, had the chat with my son, left out the knocked down bit, instead saying a man found her ill outside and called in, and then at the vets she fell asleep and died, seemed like the kindest thing to do.
    After that took him to McDonalds for something to eat and a long child directed chat about dying in general, dog souls and the rest, had to choke back a few tears there as well.
    But, he has seen the resting place for her, his uncle is a carpenter and he will get my sons aid in making a nice cross or other marker and we'll plant some flowers there too.

I couldn't believe how emotional I got with it all, I mean I have dealt with death in the human part of the family and never broke down like I have done today, thank the gods I had my wife and brother on hand.

Anyways, pet lovers, thanks for letting me into this little part of your forum.
    I don't normally hang out here, feel a little like one of those Christians who only turn up for mass/service when they must, I usually live over in the Arcade & Retro Games forum, where I am a mod.

So, thanks again, this has been most helpful in re-ordering my thoughts over what has been the most upsetting of mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

<snip>

Mod note: There's a time and a place Grimreaper.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

<snip>

Really?!? How tactful. Im sure hes not upset enough today - and what an apt username.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Thinking of my dog rasher today,was put to sleep a year ago today,he was 13,he arrrived in our house in a cornflake box by my brother,we were never allowed have a pet but this guy was allowed to stay much to my delight,he was a labrador and was the boldest dog ever :),he was my dads best friend and would always take his hat off his head when he would come home in the evenings and always slept under his bed,he was always a great comfort to my mum who suffers with depression,he was very sick for a while constantly vomiting and crying in pain,no one wanted to make the obvious descision,one morning after a rough night my dad took him on his last walk to the vets and he was put to sleep,my dad told no one because he knew the devestation it would cause,i still cry thinking of them walking to the vets and how hard it was for my poor dad,im sorry i never got to say goodbye,you were a much loved dog by us all and have left a lifetime of memories of you and your bold ways,sleep well my little pet xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Went to join his friends Simba Freddy and Toto
    Adopted 12yrs and 6 mths ago nursed back to health after his Jaw was broken
    By his previous owner.
    Passed away age 17yrs and 6 mths today.
    Lonely bed in corner,no more hot water bottles and snuggly blankets
    You were my baby and I will miss you
    sharing the sunday dinner with you and your fav yorkshire puddings
    Will look out for an unloved dog to have your bed
    Like you would have wanted.
    xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

i thought i would post this video of jimmy stewart reciting a poem about his dog beau.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Thanks for posting trash. Great video. Just realized today that next month will be a year after Blackie passed away. Time really flys. Got me thinking of the night he passed away and one particular video I watched as I tried to find people who had gone through what I was going through myself.
    This is the first video I came across. It's called "Last Minutes with ODEN". Haven't watched it since then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

i thought i would post this video of jimmy stewart reciting a poem about his dog beau.

This is one of my favourite ever TV moments, which I saw a year or two ago for the first time and have told many a doggy person about it since. A lovely, lovely, touching few moments.
    Gotta love Jimmy Stewart :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

god have to stop looking, here so sad rip little ones xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

lost my 18 year old who still thought she was a puppy until the last year! knew she wasn't good but expected her to be able to come home from the vet for a few days but had to be put to sleep as when vet had good look at her under small sedative she was covered cancer. Pity they didn't spot it early but it was her time anyway she wasn't meant to see her 19 bday next month.

rip best doggie ever xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

RIP Longtail the Degu. He died last night, after a thankfully short illness, curled up in bed with his brother Shorttail. I hope you enjoyed your life with us little buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting trash. Great video. Just realized today that next month will be a year after Blackie passed away. Time really flys. Got me thinking of the night he passed away and one particular video I watched as I tried to find people who had gone through what I was going through myself.
    This is the first video I came across. It's called "Last Minutes with ODEN". Haven't watched it since then.

That's so sad, been there many times myself and realise this day will come every time I get a pet, that said they're worth so much to have in my life that i'd never regret a second i have them in my life. This thread was intended to be a place to celebrate your pets life, not to be a sad place so think of all the happy times you've had with your pet and be happy they're in a better place now,:).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Never posted here before but felt the need today.

Had my cat, Misty, put down this evening. She was constantly getting kidney infections and was found to be diabetic. Without two insulin injections per day, she would only get worse. Given that she is over 15 years old, we decided it would be far too stressful for her. It was the toughest decision I've been part of (which I suppose is something to be thankful for).

I found her when I was less than 10 years old (can't exactly remember). I was out for a cycle on a country lane when I saw in the distance a tiny ball of fluff wandering down the road. She was definitely less than 2 months old and I've still no idea how she got there as there were no houses in the immediate vicinity. I decided I couldn't leave her there so I hung my helmet on the handlebars, placed her inside and started walking back.
    My mother was less than pleased as I was gone for over two hours (she kept leaping out of the helmet) leading her to go out searching for me. She allowed her to stay and she's been here since then.

Very emotional tonight. Very hard to look at the space where her bed has been for the past 15 years or so without welling up. It's hard to believe you can get so attached to a cat. She was part of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Very emotional tonight. Very hard to look at the space where her bed has been for the past 15 years or so without welling up. It's hard to believe you can get so attached to a cat. She was part of the family.

We all know how you feel Hammer. What really got me was coming home from college to an empty house and no longer needing to close the kitchen door at night.

RIP Misty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I know to many here this wouldn't matter much, but in our house we are saying goodbye to one of our most loved pets. Marshall, our little albino three and a half year old gerbil. I know some may laugh, but he was the sweetest little thing. He'd sit for ages on your lap and just relax, nibbling on a piece of fruit or veg.

For an albino he lasted so long. They tend to die younger, but three and a half years is good. He had bleeding from a lump on his stomach and from his ear, and since there is no way our cat got at him, we rushed him to the vet, multiple tumours. Poor little guy, common death in albino's. Cried for half an hour, and my son is going around crying that our other gerbil will miss his friend and will be lonely. Sadly he doesn't realise how right he is. Our other one is at least the same age if not older, and they often follow soon after their buddies. :(

I know it is just a gerbil, but still, you can't help but get attached.

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I know to many here this wouldn't matter much, but in our house we are saying goodbye to one of our most loved pets. Marshall, our little albino three and a half year old gerbil. I know some may laugh, but he was the sweetest little thing. He'd sit for ages on your lap and just relax, nibbling on a piece of fruit or veg.

For an albino he lasted so long. They tend to die younger, but three and a half years is good. He had bleeding from a lump on his stomach and from his ear, and since there is no way our cat got at him, we rushed him to the vet, multiple tumours. Poor little guy, common death in albino's. Cried for half an hour, and my son is going around crying that our other gerbil will miss his friend and will be lonely. Sadly he doesn't realise how right he is. Our other one is at least the same age if not older, and they often follow soon after their buddies. :(

Anyone who has ever loved an animal will understand.

Marshall wasn't 'just a gerbil' - he was a buddy who lived with you for most of his life and who will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

He is not just a gerbil, he was your gerbil and my heart goes out to you. I have loved and lost and know exactly what it feels like regardless of what type of animal they are. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

brrabus wrote: »
    He is not just a gerbil, he was your gerbil and my heart goes out to you. I have loved and lost and know exactly what it feels like regardless of what type of animal they are. :(

Very true, I have had cats and dogs too, and no matter what the animal, you invest love in them. We brought them across the country with us rather than leave them alone for a weekend, difficult and by no means pleasant if many other commuters figured out what was in the case (we have a special case that can transport small animals humanely) Just seeing the little white snout and whiskers poking out of the nest to see what dinner leftovers they were getting always made me smile. Such a gentle little thing. Never bit my child or anything.

brrabus wrote: »

I still miss Batman the Budgie who died 10 years ago at the grand old age of 11 years old. I bought Batman as a chick in London, he grew up in Sheffield and he died in Cork - he was a real character who made a merry mess with his seeds where ever he went and he had a fine nag chirrup on him.

Every morning Batman sang me a 'special' song as I made breakfast - I miss that cheery start to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

For an albino he lasted so long. They tend to die younger, but three and a half years is good.
    [...]

I had a gerbil many years ago. My wife gave me one for my birthday, the little one was about 4-6 months old. She died three years and three months later, so she was at least 3.5 years old or even close to 4 years.
    I cried like a baby when she died...

I had another adventure with rodents. I brought home two mice that a shop was selling as food for snakes.
    One of them died after 10 months, the vet said she was already old when I got her.
    The other one was much stronger. As she was getting old she lost the last part of her tail, then she lost her ears (they fell off altogether), became deaf and then blind. She developed breathing problems, I cured her with aerosol every night and gave her vitamins. She died 1 year and 7 months after I got her.

So I understand you, they weren't just gerbils or mice, they were our friends and they relied on us.
    They will be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You know its funny in a way. My dog died last year, I had him since he was a week old and he was 12 when he died. He was a cross between an alsation and a collie. He was intelligent, beligerent, always hungry no matter how much he ate and Im fairly certain he could laugh.

I grew up with him and him with me. Been through a lot of stuff together. He knew, I swear this, he knew when something was wrong and he would come over and just keep you company until he thought you were okay ( or until he could smell food). He'd cheer you up but you would be covered in his hairs when he left.

He got ill very suddenly on the friday as his spine started to fuse together and I had him put to sleep on the Sunday on advice from the vet. Was there with him when he passed. Didnt want to leave him on his own, I know he was always there for me.

He was a bollox sometimes too, I mean he used to rob my lunch off the table when he was younger but we had a chat and he sorted that out. It was practically impossible for me to walk him til I grew up too as he was too strong. He took some of the biggest ****es ive ever seen and would swan right back past you knowing you had to clean it up. No shame.

But I think Ive cried (emotionally, not from physical pain) 3 times in my life. Once when I got dumped, when John Coffey died in the Green Mile and when my dog Kane passed on.

I still think about you my friend.Ma found the last of your shedded hairs a few months back before I left for Canada and was a bit upset. We havent moved any of your stuff from under the shed either.

Anyways whereever you are I hope your happy. Some people say a dog is only a dog, nothing more. No feelings, no personality. I say those people are idiots. They never met you buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Molly (Moo) is two years gone from us today.

Never gone from my heart. The 13 and a half years we had together were such a gift, and I'll always cherish the memories no matter where I go in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

DrumSteve wrote: »
    You know its funny in a way. My dog died last year, I had him since he was a week old and he was 12 when he died. He was a cross between an alsation and a collie. He was intelligent, beligerent, always hungry no matter how much he ate and Im fairly certain he could laugh.

I grew up with him and him with me. Been through a lot of stuff together. He knew, I swear this, he knew when something was wrong and he would come over and just keep you company until he thought you were okay ( or until he could smell food). He'd cheer you up but you would be covered in his hairs when he left.

He got ill very suddenly on the friday as his spine started to fuse together and I had him put to sleep on the Sunday on advice from the vet. Was there with him when he passed. Didnt want to leave him on his own, I know he was always there for me.

He was a bollox sometimes too, I mean he used to rob my lunch off the table when he was younger but we had a chat and he sorted that out. It was practically impossible for me to walk him til I grew up too as he was too strong. He took some of the biggest ****es ive ever seen and would swan right back past you knowing you had to clean it up. No shame.

But I think Ive cried (emotionally, not from physical pain) 3 times in my life. Once when I got dumped, when John Coffey died in the Green Mile and when my dog Kane passed on.

I still think about you my friend.Ma found the last of your shedded hairs a few months back before I left for Canada and was a bit upset. We havent moved any of your stuff from under the shed either.

Anyways whereever you are I hope your happy. Some people say a dog is only a dog, nothing more. No feelings, no personality. I say those people are idiots. They never met you buddy.

I really enjoyed this post. It reminds me a lot of the relationship I had with my dog. Sure, some of their personality traits aren't so good and can drive you nuts, but it makes them who they are, and that's why we love them.

As for being able to tell when something's wrong with you and trying to comfort you, I read somewhere that the reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling down, is that he doesn't try to find out why. I think there's some truth in that. They really are wonderful creatures. Wonderful and nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

RIP Thunder, the littlest kitten of my orphans. I was expecting him to die as he was so small from the start but out of all the others he was the best feeder. After he made it through the first week I thought all would be okay but he took a turn for the worse and passed away last night, I got very sad when their fosterer texted me this morning! Giving him a tough name just wasn't enough :( Run free litle one, hope you meet your mammy over rainbow bridge :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Looking through this thread has made me cry...
    I have a little Jack Russell who's 1 and I know it will hopefully be a long ways away but the thought of losing her....
    My heart goes out to all our little animal friends be they 4-legged, winged or even a gerbil up in heaven <3
    Stay strong people.

Advertisement