Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Cooker recipes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

et101 wrote: »
    I hate celery but when cooked it's not so bad. Thanks for this tip will have ANOTHER go with my slow cooker next week wish me luck! Appreciate all the hints, tips and recipes :)

I actually hate celery too :) But I love the taste it gives to a mix and I actually love the smell.... :rolleyes: I usually cut it into big chunks and then remove them after .... god I'm hopeless I guess :cool:

Things are going well with my small slow cooker. One major problem is my 20yo will NOT eat celery ... even though it is tasteless and soft by the time it is all cooked ..

Would anyone know if it would cook as normal if I chopped the celery as usual and then liquidised it on it's own and added it to the cooking ? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Piliger wrote: »

Would anyone know if it would cook as normal if I chopped the celery as usual and then liquidised it on it's own and added it to the cooking ? :rolleyes:

I'd say it would, but if your 20 yo doesn't like the taste it might spoil the whole meal for him or her. Might be better to leave it in chunks so it can be avoided.

I got a 5lb piece of neck of pork at the weekend and made pulled pork with it, it was amazing. I put a rub on it and left it overnight in the fridge, then cooked it on high for 7 hours. I took it out and pulled it, then put it all back into the slow cooker for half an hour in a BBQ sauce from the Hairy Bikers Mum Knows Best book. It was amazing :)

I'd say it would, but if your 20 yo doesn't like the taste it might spoil the whole meal for him or her. Might be better to leave it in chunks so it can be avoided.

Wel .. I think it is a 'texture' thing with him. He ate some of my last dish after I removed the tasteless celery at the end. So if it is liquidised first ... that issue may be removed...

Also could anyone suggest another word I could use instead of 'goulash' ? :rolleyes: I seem to have this word on my brain for all foods of this kind but it seems the MINUTE I labelled it as a goulash on the first day ......... he said 'what a disgusting name!' and has a prejudice against everything I cook in the slow cooker ever since ..... :confused:

Anyone ? some fancy name that might change his mind ? (some hope!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Also could anyone suggest another word I could use instead of 'goulash' ? :rolleyes: I seem to have this word on my brain for all foods of this kind but it seems the MINUTE I labelled it as a goulash on the first day ......... he said 'what a disgusting name!' and has a prejudice against everything I cook in the slow cooker ever since ..... confused.gif

Dinner? As in "Here's your Dinner, eat it or go hungry?"

Sorry, my 21 yo Brother is being a tit atm.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Wel .. I think it is a 'texture' thing with him. He ate some of my last dish after I removed the tasteless celery at the end.

I can empathise - I fecking HATE celery. To me it has a taste, an awful one. I refuse to cook with it, in some recipes I substitute leeks (obviously, doesn't work for all recipes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wel .. I think it is a 'texture' thing with him. He ate some of my last dish after I removed the tasteless celery at the end. So if it is liquidised first ... that issue may be removed...

Also could anyone suggest another word I could use instead of 'goulash' ? :rolleyes: I seem to have this word on my brain for all foods of this kind but it seems the MINUTE I labelled it as a goulash on the first day ......... he said 'what a disgusting name!' and has a prejudice against everything I cook in the slow cooker ever since ..... :confused:

+1 on leaving celery in large chunks so you can eat round it... :)
    Goulash is Hungarian with loads of paprika in it ??
    When I was small everything was a casserole , daube is another name for a stew cooked in a crockpot ... Fricassee and blanquete are White stews , Carbonnade is a stew cooked in beer, ragout is a brown stew, tagine for something morrocan... Should get u started, if he still grumbles tell him to grow up and start cooking ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Goulash is Hungarian with loads of paprika in it ??
    When I was small everything was a casserole , daube is another name for a stew cooked in a crockpot ... Fricassee and blanquete are White stews , Carbonnade is a stew cooked in beer, ragout is a brown stew, tagine for something morrocan... Should get u started, if he still grumbles tell him to grow up and start cooking ...

Thanks for those suggested terms :) I can bamboozle him now and see if I can sidestep his 'thing' with the word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Wonderful thread!!! I have just spent a ridiculous amount of time reading through this whole thread and am now just dying to go and buy a slow cooker! I've just transitioned from the world of University to real working life so the idea of throwing a dinner together in the morning for it to be ready when I get home and hungry from work is amazing! Unfortunately the OH has no interest in curries or anything "spicey" so that removes a lot of options, but my mind is whirling with ideas of stews/casseroles/filling soups/pot-roasts... mmm delicious! Right... onto the argos website I go... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks for those suggested terms :) I can bamboozle him now and see if I can sidestep his 'thing' with the word :)

Personally, I'd side step him, then bamboozle him with a clatter across the head!
    Ingrate!!!:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Made a very tasty and simple curry the other day.

6 chicken breasts
    2 onions
    1 punnet mushrooms
    3 tablespoons red curry paste
    1 can full coconut milk
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    0.75 can chickpeas
    1 tablespoon tomato puree

Fry curry paste for a min and add roughly chopped onion and mushrooms. Fry for another couple of mins the add to the slow cooker.

Now add the diced chicken breasts and fry for a few mins. Then add to the slow cooker.

Then add the coconut milk and chopped tomatoes via the frying pan to take the residual flavours from the pan.

Add the chickpeas and puree and leave on high for around 3 hours. I usually do this late in the evening, then unplug and leave to cool in the crock pot over the night, which really transforms it.

Before unplugging it, if the sauce seems too thin (depending on the chopped tomatoes), ladle off as much as you can and reduce in a pan then return. I usually do this to some extent with most dishes as it intensifies the flavour too. Will probably try a veg version of this, only I've finished my frozen stock from this batch!

Resize.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have pork chops in there at the moment. I fried them quickly to seal them, took them onto a plate and added diced turnip, carrot and sliced onions to the pan. Sauteed them until they started to soften, then stirred in a dessertspoon of flour. After a minute I stirred in a chicken stock cube mixed with a mugful of hot water and a couple of chopped tomatoes. I added salt, black pepper and a pinch of dried sage, put it into the slow cooker with the chops sitting on top and it's on low for the day.
    I've made this before and it's really good :)

Post a photo if you can Dizzyblonde ;)

I haven't mastered posting photos so here's a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rozmiss

Hey dizzyblond that sounds and looks good. I must give it a go.

I have large unsmoked ham fillet in the slow cooker at the moment. 3 cups of packed brown sugar and cup cranberry juice (only had raspberry and cranberry so that's what i used :p). Finished with roast potatoes and roast butternut squash.

Will make a carbonara in the slow cooker tomorrow with the left overs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Sido

Aldi do a kilo of chicken thighs for about €2.50.
    You might want to take the skins of these before cooking to reduce the calorie content of the meal. (I fry mine up and use them as cat food)
    Fry a finely diced onion. Put in the slow cooker with the chicken thighs. Add about a pint of water (or you may want to use some stock) Cook for 2 to 3 hours.
    Take out the thighs and leave to cool. Add a cup of Risotto rice to the pot (and a glass of cider or white wine if you want or have it). Put on high until the rice is cooked.
    Meanwhile take the chicken of the bone and mix in with the rice. Put a bit of butter on the top before serving.
    This will produce a great risotto without any of the messing about of gradually adding stock and bringing to the boil. Also the washing up is easy.
    Sorry I can't be more precise with my ingredients as I just guess them
    Add salt and pepper and serve.

To curly from cork - Yes on high - never timed it I suppose about 1/2 an hour. When it is right just click it to warm and put some butter on top. The idea is to have the whole lot done for later - (All rubbish out of the way) You can grate some parmesan in when serving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

sounds yum, roughly how long does the rice take ? On high ?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sido

The High setting will take your stew up to the 90's (degrees C). nothing wrong with this. When you have arrived at the high temperature. Bubbles coming up the side of the pot.
    Consider just turning the switch to "warm" - to let the temperature slide back down into the 70's. Leave for as long as you want before serving but ideally give it another couple of hours.
    Using a lower temperature will give a fantastic tenderness to the meat
    Any pathogens will be destroyed at round about 40C. To high a temperature can make the meat a bit chewy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Dizzyblond that sounds brill. I often cook pork chops and will defo use this recipe. Thanks for that and if you have any other ideas please post them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sido wrote: »
    Aldi do a kilo of chicken thighs for about €2.50.
    You might want to take the skins of these before cooking to reduce the calorie content of the meal.
    i'm a big fan of anything to do with chicken thighs, by far the nicest tasting bit of the bird imho (unless you count the little oyster bit) and cheap as chips compared to breast.

i started out filleting them and using them as a substitute for wings when cooking buffalo wings at home, but i much prefer them now in just about any chicken dish. it can be a bit of work to get them filleted, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty quick to do. if yu're squeamish, you can usually get a butcher to do it for you and they quite often won't even charge you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sido wrote: »
    Any pathogens will be destroyed at round about 40C. To high a temperature can make the meat a bit chewy.

I see the user is now banned so can't reply but this needs to be corrected anyway. Most food borne bacteria are not killed at 40C, in fact they thrive at this temperature, high risk foods (chicken etc) need to be cooked to above 60C to be safe for consumption.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I see the user is now banned so can't reply but this needs to be corrected anyway. Most food borne bacteria are not killed at 40C, in fact they thrive at this temperature, high risk foods (chicken etc) need to be cooked to above 60C to be safe for consumption.

Just adding to this topic I found this site:
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Poultry Minimum: 74C for at least 30 seconds. (The 30s thing came from another food safety site)

Just adding to this topic I found this site:
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Poultry Minimum: 74C for at least 30 seconds. (The 30s thing came from another food safety site)

You're right, I was too low with my temps as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Home style bread pudding
    2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 c. 1 inch bread cubes
    2 1/4 c. milk 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 c. raisinsor dates chopped
    1 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 c, hot water
    1/4 tsp. salt

combine egg, mil,vanilla, cinnamon. salt.bread cubes.sugar and raisins (or dates) . pour into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish . put metal rack or trivet in slow cooker. Add hot water. Set baking dish on rack, cover pot and cook on high for aboiut 2 hours. Serve pudding warm or cool. Yields 4 to six servings.
    might be good if you have no oven or yours is full of other stuff.;):)

saw an interesting idea for making slow cooker meals even easier on lifehacker the oher day.

the idea is that you get some ziplock bags and put all the ingredients for a slow cooker meal into a bag and throw it into the freezer until you want to use it.

you can make up multiple different bags of meals and have them waiting in the freezer, so that when you get up to go to work, you just empty the frozen contents into the slow cooker and turn it on and when you come home it'll have defrosted and cooked to perfection and be ready to eat. :)

not actually tried it yet myself, but it sounds like a great idea to me. now i just need to think of what to actually make. :D

Im assuming its this article

Im assuming its this article
    yar, that be the one. :)

Its a good idea, wouldnt mind giving it a go, need to get a slow cooker first though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I did one today and it was very successful.

4 pork chops
    225g Sliced button mushrooms
    1 large onion sliced thinly
    2 smashed cloves garlic
    1 tsp mixed herbs
    salt and pepper
    ~ 1kg spuds peeled and sliced
    enough chicken stock to cover.

Sauté the onion in a pan with a little oil until translucent, add garlic and mushrooms and cook the mushrooms until they sweat.
    Remove from heat and add a shake of herbs (I used Lidls Herbs de Provence)

In crockpot make a layer of mushrooms, chops, potato slices, mushies, etc etc
    Cover in chicken stock, I usually put a stock cube in a mug and dissolve it, then add to the cooker, and then pour boiling water until it covers the food.

4-5hrs on high.

eat.
    4/5 hours on high?

Maudi wrote: »
    4/5 hours on high?

It's either 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low for most slow cooker recipes.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    saw an interesting idea for making slow cooker meals even easier on lifehacker the oher day.

the idea is that you get some ziplock bags and put all the ingredients for a slow cooker meal into a bag and throw it into the freezer until you want to use it.

you can make up multiple different bags of meals and have them waiting in the freezer, so that when you get up to go to work, you just empty the frozen contents into the slow cooker and turn it on and when you come home it'll have defrosted and cooked to perfection and be ready to eat. :)

not actually tried it yet myself, but it sounds like a great idea to me. now i just need to think of what to actually make. :D

It is not recommended to put frozen meat into a slow cooker.
    For hygiene reasons.

Im intrigued, why not?

Once the meat reaches temperature, there should be no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

Dunno? my slow cooker instruction book says food must be hot going in but I know I had one years ago and used to put in stone cold things before I went to work.

Having said that my slow cooker is not very slow, it practically boils at the higher temp and at low would still cook a stew in a few hours only.

the only reason i know of (in general, not specific to slow cookers) to NOT cook foods from frozen would be the risk of them not being cooked through properly (i.e. cooked on the outside, but raw or still frozen in the middle), which isn't going to be any kind of an issue in a slow cooker that's been going for the best part of half a day. :)

we went to a farm shop just outside of ashbourne (new barn farm) so our little boy could see all their animals in their open farm. we got heaps of fresh organic veg and used it to make a meatless tomato based veg sauce in the slow cooker.

basically we just chopped a heap of tomatoes, some fresh herbs, onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips, celery, turnip, bell peppers, leeks and whatever else they had that looked good (can't even remember now, my brain is a bit fuzzy, but it doesn't matter really, just whatever you can get hold of) and added some tomato puree, stock pots and some dried mixed herbs and left it going on high for about 12 hours until everything was nice and mushy before giving it a quick blitz with a soup gun.

we've been keeping glass jars for a while from stuff we've bought in the shops, the ones with the pop-up lids (mayo, cooking sauces etc.) so you know if the contents are fresh when you first open them.

the trick to re-using the jars and the pop-up tops is to heat up the jars with some boiling hot water in the sink and then whilst they're still piping hot, add your hot sauce to the empty jars and put the lid on right away. as the sauce cools, the contents of the jar will shrink slightly creating enough of a vacuum to pull in the top of the lid again so you know it's got a good seal.

i'm not sure how long stuff like this should *officially* last, but we kept our last batch in a press and it was still fresh (i.e. lids popping when opened, no fur on top) a good 3 months later, so i suspect it would last considerably longer, so it's a great thing to do up a batch of.

we tried to keep ours simple and pack as much veg in as possible so we can make meals that will be good for our toddler as well as ourselves, but feel free to edit the ingredients to suit your own needs, adding a bit of chilli or different ingredients as they suit you.

right now, i've got a chicken roasting in ours, sitting on an onion trivet with a few cloves of garlic and lemon wedges in the bottom and a half a lemon up it's jacks and some butter on the skin and a good crack from a fancy pepper mill i found in superquinn. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

the only reason i know of (in general, not specific to slow cookers) to NOT cook foods from frozen would be the risk of them not being cooked through properly (i.e. cooked on the outside, but raw or still frozen in the middle), which isn't going to be any kind of an issue in a slow cooker that's been going for the best part of half a day. :)

we went to a farm shop just outside of ashbourne (new barn farm) so our little boy could see all their animals in their open farm. we got heaps of fresh organic veg and used it to make a meatless tomato based veg sauce in the slow cooker.

basically we just chopped a heap of tomatoes, some fresh herbs, onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips, celery, turnip, bell peppers, leeks and whatever else they had that looked good (can't even remember now, my brain is a bit fuzzy, but it doesn't matter really, just whatever you can get hold of) and added some tomato puree, stock pots and some dried mixed herbs and left it going on high for about 12 hours until everything was nice and mushy before giving it a quick blitz with a soup gun.

we've been keeping glass jars for a while from stuff we've bought in the shops, the ones with the pop-up lids (mayo, cooking sauces etc.) so you know if the contents are fresh when you first open them.

the trick to re-using the jars and the pop-up tops is to heat up the jars with some boiling hot water in the sink and then whilst they're still piping hot, add your hot sauce to the empty jars and put the lid on right away. as the sauce cools, the contents of the jar will shrink slightly creating enough of a vacuum to pull in the top of the lid again so you know it's got a good seal.

i'm not sure how long stuff like this should *officially* last, but we kept our last batch in a press and it was still fresh (i.e. lids popping when opened, no fur on top) a good 3 months later, so i suspect it would last considerably longer, so it's a great thing to do up a batch of.

we tried to keep ours simple and pack as much veg in as possible so we can make meals that will be good for our toddler as well as ourselves, but feel free to edit the ingredients to suit your own needs, adding a bit of chilli or different ingredients as they suit you.

That is the most GENIUS thing I have ever heard ever. EVER! :D

jendafer1 wrote: »
    That is the most GENIUS thing I have ever heard ever. EVER! :D
    i can't take credit for it unfortunately, my brother's wife's family is italian (living in Oz) and they've been doing it for years.

we started off doing freezer packs, but this is a lot easier as we don't have a huge freezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Im intrigued, why not?

Once the meat reaches temperature, there should be no problem.

The issue would be the amount of time that the meat would be between the temps of around 5degC and 70degC. That's the temp range that bacteria thrives at and I imaging that by putting frozen meat in a slow cooker, it would spend a long time in that zone.

Well what you could do is just thaw out your ingredient bag in the fridge the night before.

I've a veg soup in the slow cooker now, will post results and photos. :)

the trick to re-using the jars and the pop-up tops
    If the rubber seal is still in good condition there is no difference at all between this and just screwing on the top properly. The vacuum thing is just a security check against tampering and gives no additional protection against going off whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

Put a thai chicken curry in the slow cooker at lunch time there.

Blue dragons green curry paste fried for a min, throw in a can of coconut milk, bring to the boil, added a little sugar and a little fish sauce.

Added in my chicken (5 small chicken fillets). Brought back to the boil, let it stay there for a couple of minutes and then put it in my slow cooker. Will be there for 6 hours on low. When I get home, I will chop up a pepper put it in, get my rice ready (15 minutes) at this time I will put the slow cooker on high.

Add in some spring onions, lime and freshly picked coriander at the end. My first slow cooker meal. Hope it turns out ok. Will post pix later if I remember to take some. Obviously if you want you can add in kaffir lime leaves too to make it extra nice. More expense though.

If the rubber seal is still in good condition there is no difference at all between this and just screwing on the top properly. The vacuum thing is just a security check against tampering and gives no additional protection against going off whatsoever.
    it doesn't give any protection against something gong off, but it will tell you whether or not it has when you open the jar.

bad food will produce gases which will accumulate inside the jar and cause the lid to pop if what is inside it has gone off.

boiling the jars and filling and capping them when the food is just boiled and sill piping hot will minimise the chances of bacterial growth inside the sealed jars, but you can never be 100% sure you're not going to get a bad batch. having a popup seal on your jars and knowing they are intact just removes any doubt.

also, i can confirm this 100% as someone who (on a hot summer day working on a flat roof in the baking sun) has previously downed an entire 500ml glass bottle of fruit juice taken from a fresh pack before my brain registered that the safety cap didn't pop when i opened it and the juice was (very) bad. not a nice experience and one that i could have avoided if i'd paid attention when i opened the bottle if i'd been paying attention. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rozmiss

cooking chicken noodle soup right now,

ginger (thumb size), garlic (3), chilli (1 or more??), 3 carrots chopped small and full chicken and a little water.

When cooked (1hr high, 4 hrs low) but check with meat thermometer then remove chicken and shred, skim the fat from the juices and add a little cornstarch to thicken.

Finally add vegetables (as summer: sugar snap peas, a red pepper and some cherry tomatoes) combine back in the slow cooker and cook on high for final 30 mins. (During winter this is done with root vegetables butternut squash and sweet potatoes and added with the carrots chopping small)

Then just boil noodles and add before serving (i do noodles separately as I'm planning on freezing some of this for dinner in the future you could just add to the slow cooker on high)

it doesn't give any protection against something gong off, but it will tell you whether or not it has when you open the jar.
    a rather tasty cheese and apple chutney toasted sandwich reminded me today that I made that batch of apple chutney (secret family recipe, utterly awesome:)) 4 years ago and we still have a couple of jars left and it's as good as (actually much better now it's matured) than the day we made it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I'm looking for a recipe for a spicy Italian bolognese sauce for a slow cooker? I'd like a sauce that can be frozen if there are any left overs.

Hoping to make it tomorrow (well, today really).

I think this might work for you. It requires a little preliminary work but then you can just walk away for 6 to 10 hours. It freezes well and the flavors blend nicely in the slow cooker. Sorry its all in US measures but that's the world I live in.:)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large carrot, finely chopped
    1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    1 yellow onion, finely chopped
    Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    2/3 cup heavy cream
    Two 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
    1 pound ground pork
    1 pound ground sirloin ( Of course you can change this up to suit yourself)
    Pasta, for serving

Directions
    Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, carrots, celery and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste, thyme and nutmeg, keep cooking until vegetables have softened and started to brown, about 2 minutes. stir in wine to deglaze and get the bits and pieces from bottom of pan.

Carefully pour into your slow cooker. Stir in the cream and tomatoes. Mix the pork and sirloin together in a separate bowl, using your hands, until combined. Stir the meat into the slow cooker, spreading out evenly and avoiding any large clumps. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours. Skim the accumulated grease from the surface before serving.

Serve over pasta with crusty bread for soaking up the sauce yummy :pac:

• Advertisement

Here is another slow cooker idea. This one came from a little cookbook I bought at a yardsale. Turned out to be very handy.

Slow Cooker Cola Ham

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 cup cola soft drink- not diet kind!
    3 to 4 pound fully cooled ham

mix the mustard and brown sugar. pour in just enough cola to make a smooth paste. Reserve remaing cola. Score ham with knife into shallow diamond pattern Rub with brown sugar and mustard mixture. Put ham in slow cookerand pour over it the rest of the cola. Put on the slow cooker lid and cook on high for one hour. Turn down to low (don't remove lid) nd coolk on low for additional 6 to 7 hours. If your ham is larger (% pounds) cook an hour on high and then additional 8 to 10 hours on high. Enjoy.

This came from same little book.
    Fruit Delight
    1 (21 ounce ) can of cherry, peach or apple pie filling
    1 (18 1/4 ounce yellow cake mix)
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts or any nut you prefer- or don't use the nuts at all if you like.
    Put your pie filling into a greased 1 1/2 quart slow cooker. Mix the cake mix and butter (should be crumbly) Sprinkle over the pie filling in slow cooker. Sprinkle on the nuts if using. Put on the lid and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. Serve in bowls. 10 or 12 servings. Good warm with ice cream. Try different combinations. of pie fillings and cake mix flavors and complimentary ice creams or whipped creams. (sort of like a cobbler thingy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Just had the nicest boiled ham of my life. Bought a small pork shoulder joint salted as ham in Tesco. Put in slow cooker on low for 9 hours just about covered with water, some cloves and a smidge of cinnamon. Oh and I soaked the ham overnight beforehand. Absolutely gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm doing a pot roast on Sunday (Barefoot Contessa one) She used a big peice of beef chuck.
    Would housekeepers cut be ok? I'd never heard of that cut till I moved here.

Housekeepers cut is perfect for pot roasting :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement