Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Railway Journeys - BBC2

Options
  • 27-01-2012 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

Great British Railway Journeys, Series 3 Episode 21, based on Bradshaw's railway guide, features Bray to Dublin next Monday, 18.30 on BBC2. The next 4 episodes are all based in Ireland.
    Should be interesting. Details here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Can't see how this is going to be done in a positive light. I was up in town last week and (apart from the druggies - see elsewhere) the course of the line is in a disgusting state. Everything that doesn't move is destroyed by graffiti; the most historic feature on the line (Cloncurry's Towers) has been partially dismantled and the adjoining bathing pavilion, railings etc are wrecked; lineside rubbish is everywhere - much of it IE's own track materials etc.etc. The only station that I noted between Connolly and Greystones that was in a reasonable state was the latter. Private houses, the bandstand in Blackrock Park, the Aviva Stadiium (again), lineside retaining walls - even on Killiney Head - have now been defaced. There must be thousands of Euros outstanding for trespass from these pond life who are ruining their country for Irish and visitors alike. It used to be that the only graffiti on the line would be the occasional 'Free Nicky Kelly' or similar in the same spot on the coast wall near Booterstown - God be with the days. I have given up writing to Dick Fearn about it but I haven't given up on my campaign to get something done - more another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

At the end of tonight's program featuring the IOM, which incidentally didn't include the steam trains, they showed a clip of a DART south of Bray which due to the nature of the terrain should be almost graffiti free. I doubt they will do an extended DART run, as the program series goes into a lot of peripheral issues related to railways, but doesn't actually spend a lot of time on the rails per se. They showed a brief shot of a training simulator too, presumably IR's. In general I would expect any of the episodes next week to be a mixed bag but it's an interesting series nevertheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Can't see how this is going to be done in a positive light. I was up in town last week and (apart from the druggies - see elsewhere) the course of the line is in a disgusting state. Everything that doesn't move is destroyed by graffiti; the most historic feature on the line (Cloncurry's Towers) has been partially dismantled and the adjoining bathing pavilion, railings etc are wrecked; lineside rubbish is everywhere - much of it IE's own track materials etc.etc. The only station that I noted between Connolly and Greystones that was in a reasonable state was the latter. Private houses, the bandstand in Blackrock Park, the Aviva Stadiium (again), lineside retaining walls - even on Killiney Head - have now been defaced. There must be thousands of Euros outstanding for trespass from these pond life who are ruining their country for Irish and visitors alike. It used to be that the only graffiti on the line would be the occasional 'Free Nicky Kelly' or similar in the same spot on the coast wall near Booterstown - God be with the days. I have given up writing to Dick Fearn about it but I haven't given up on my campaign to get something done - more another day.
    Your name heralds your outlook on life I think not the programme,I watch it quit a bit and it is a light touch of an area with sound bites of local culture and sites of interest in, but Portillo does wear lovely shirts!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Your name heralds your outlook on life I think not the programme,I watch it quit a bit and it is a light touch of an area with sound bites of local culture and sites of interest in, but Portillo does wear lovely shirts!

Indeed wellboytoo,the first thing I wondered was who's Mr P's tailor !

However,full marks to the man,for making an entertaining and informative series which actually might just introduce a few new faces to take an interest in Railway Travel.

It's also kind of sad,that with the passing of Garret Fitzgerald,the Houses of the Oireachtas are notably lacking in any Public Representative capable of exhibiting the same level of interest that Portillo does,never mind making such a series :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Indeed wellboytoo,the first thing I wondered was who's Mr P's tailor !

However,full marks to the man,for making an entertaining and informative series which actually might just introduce a few new faces to take an interest in Railway Travel.

It's also kind of sad,that with the passing of Garret Fitzgerald,the Houses of the Oireachtas are notably lacking in any Public Representative capable of exhibiting the same level of interest that Portillo does,never mind making such a series :(

+1 .......full marks indeed.

The following subject matter Link is off topic, but contains a self admission of railway enthusiam by the present Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht. Whether such enthusiasm will ever be translated into a re-opened line in Youghal or anywhere else in this country here is the thousand dollar question.

Portillo is more than a tailor's dummy/railway guide, he did his bit in securing the future of the then threatened Settle-Carlisle line whilst he was Minister for Transport in Maggie Thatcher's government.

Looking forward to the Irish episodes tomorrow !!!

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »

Is that you Bertie? http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0704/economy.html :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is the Dublin bray the first episode ?

Well it's the 21st episode or the first of the Irish based episodes !

Fair dues to Portillo, two spins on the DART and one on the LUAS red line ! In the cab through the tunnel sections at Bray Head was the best bit for me - must get the box set when it comes out ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I watched the first two series when still at home, found it lacking in rail tbh, a lot more focused on what's around it, very little covered on the route and it's history.

That said still a great series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its not about Rail..It's about BRADSHAWS and the journeys he describes. Thats the charm of the programme, it appeals to non-trainspotter rail lovers. Can only be good for Rail generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Not trying to be a smart alec but "Great British Railway Journeys; Bray to Dublin"? I don't get it.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Not trying to be a smart alec but "Great British Railway Journeys; Bray to Dublin"? I don't get it.
    The RoI has managed to build a handful of miles of new rail since 1922, and none of it as impressive as the costal route to Bray, which was all built by....the Brits!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I was thinking the same. I just didn't want to ruin the thread by starting anti-brit stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

murphaph wrote: »
    The RoI has managed to build a handful of miles of new rail since 1922, and none of it as impressive as the costal route to Bray, which was all built by....the Brits!

"Portillo travels the length and breadth of the country". Seem to be forgetting that we are not part of their country (again)!

They'll proabably do a show about the 'British Lions' next...

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Have we actually built any new rail lines or alignments since 1922?

Clearly Dublin-Bray is not a British Railway journey, however in Bradshaw's time c. 1840, it could have been construed that way, due to Ireland being part of the British Empire.

The title of the series 'Great British Railway Journeys' which is a BBC title is really generic, without any intention to patronise as far as I can see. In fact MP ran over the points raised at the beginning of last night's episode and showed the inside title page of Bradshaw's guide showing the journeys related to 'Great Britain and Ireland' .

The Irish content, so far, of this series is excellent IMO and leaves me to wonder why we have left it to the 'Brits' to produce a program of this calibre about our railways. ;):)

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Have we actually built any new rail lines or alignments since 1922?

Off the top of my head. :D

Ballinacourty branch - from the point where it diverged from the Dungarvan/Waterford line.

Silvermines branch.

Kilmastulla.

Mungret Cement Siding.

and the LUAS

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The show name does actually appear to be "Great British Railway Journeys Goes To Ireland" for those objecting to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

MYOB wrote: »
    The show name does actually appear to be "Great British Railway Journeys Goes To Ireland" for those objecting to it.
    Yes, and Portillo is being very careful with his language. There isn't any air of imperialism or claiming Ireland as British to it whatsoever. Anyone who bothered to watch before jumping to conclusions would see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Off the top of my head. :D

Ballinacourty branch - from the point where it diverged from the Dungarvan/Waterford line.

Silvermines branch.

Kilmastulla.

Mungret Cement Siding.

Add to the list Kyle's crossing and Lavistown Loop for one. There is also the substantial realignment of the DSER lines from Killiney to Bray, those on Bray head and the long tunnel to Greystones and those other inward deviations made around Kilcoole and Newcastle. We should also remember the extension lines in and around the North Wall, albeit built by the dock board and up north the Viaduct at Greenisland and the Dargan bridge in Belfast. Oh and Inch Abbey in Downpatrick.

I'm actually shocked at you for forgetting them, Parky :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I thought that route was built by William Dargen. They hardly brought the navies over from Britain did they?

Add to the list Kyle's crossing and Lavistown Loop for one. There is also the substantial realignment of the DSER lines from Killiney to Bray, those on Bray head and the long tunnel to Greystones and those other inward deviations made around Kilcoole and Newcastle. We should also remember the extension lines in and around the North Wall, albeit built by the dock board and up north the Viaduct at Greenisland and the Dargan bridge in Belfast. Oh and Inch Abbey in Downpatrick.

I'm actually shocked at you for forgetting them, Parky :p:D

I think Jehuty42 meant only new lines in 'The Free State'! :p

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I thought that route was built by William Dargen. They hardly brought the navies over from Britain did they?

by British money I guess is meant....on the other hand, Irish capital paid for the Festiniog Railway I think.

That series is exactly the sort of thing RTE should be producing and flogging overseas. The one thing this Country has going for it is its BEAUTY. Hopefully a few people will be inspired to travel here as a result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dundalk looking well. And the mkIIIs in dundalk are they still there ?

I think Jehuty42 meant only new lines in 'The Free State'! :p

It's all the US of Europe, isn't it? :D

It's all the US of Europe, isn't it? :D

Not my corner of a foreign field....:D

Not my corner of a foreign field....:D

You can be our answer to Andorra or Sealand then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Dundalk looking well. And the mkIIIs in dundalk are they still there ?

Yes still there and portillo was an absolute gent when I met him might sound a bit pompous but was very approachable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Tarabuses wrote: »

William Dargan..."The man with his hand in his pocket".....what a wonderfully apt nickname...even more so in today's Ireland :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement