Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kiely's of Donnybrook

• 18-08-2011 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

WTF!!!

Sports Extra presented from Kiely's today:eek:

Why?

In my opinion a total promotion for Diageo and Guinness, and free drinks for all the leather elbowed and bearded buffs down in Nutley Lane.

Fcuking blatant finger to the license payer.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

+1, independent stations should be allowed, but not the tax payer funded broadcaster, they have plenty of OB units, I presume they were in Donnybrook for the rugby tonight? Why didn't they just broadcast from the pitch or the clubhouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Mooney nearly wet his panties earlier on promoting the fact that it was coming from Kiely's.

Who is getting the wedge for this?

Someone is:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Don't know the pub, but Kielys would be fairly close to Montrose? A bit too close for comfort maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Very simple.

They're copying OTB's "roadshows"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Did somebody mention Madigans?

(sorry, in joke :o)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Very simple. They're copying OTB's "roadshows"

Seems like it alright.. And I heard Mooney and John Kenny talking about it earlier.. I get the feeling that John Kenny is only a few more interruptions away from hitting Mooney a box .. always seems to be a bit of tension there. (and not sexual tension either ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I don't blame Kenny. Imagine having to listen to that nonsense, cooing interspersed with shreaking, all the sincerity of Twink, the intellectually challenged croakings of the ubiquitous O' Donohue, the strident and jarring jingles (what's with that whooshing every two seconds?), awful as they are, meaning a few seconds respite from the pain.

I was a captive listener today, and I have never missed Rattlebag more.

If one of Del Boy's minions are reading, IT'S NOT "HIS" MONEY!
    Seems like it alright.. And I heard Mooney and John Kenny talking about it earlier.. I get the feeling that John Kenny is only a few more interruptions away from hitting Mooney a box .. always seems to be a bit of tension there. (and not sexual tension either ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I doubt this was done just for the hell of it. Most venue's pay through the nose for this type of stuff. So I would imagine that this is an RTE revenue raiser, which i don't have a problem with. In fact thumbs up to them for getting out and bringing in some extra revenue instead of sitting up on the pedastal in Donnybrook
    Poly wrote: »
    but not the tax payer funded broadcaster

You pay a TV licence, not an RTE licence, but thats a discussion for another day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fran1985 wrote: »
    In fact thumbs up to them for getting out and bringing in some extra revenue instead of sitting up on the pedastal in Donnybrook

Where is Kiely's ? ;)

Hint - see thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Lapin wrote: »
    Where is Kiely's ? ;)

Hint - see thread title.

haha, my bad, but i was implying fair play to them out making some money instead of them sitting in their studio's not making money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Fran1985 wrote: »

You pay a TV licence, not an RTE licence, but thats a discussion for another day

Yes, but 84% of the "TV licence" goes to RTE.
    licencefee2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

There have been broadcasts from other well known Dublin landmarks like Arnotts, Brown Thomas, Debenhams and so on... I'm not sure why this is any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭squonk

OB's are nearly always boring. Mat Cooper has his Area Twenty-Poo OB's and let us not forget the all time king of boring OB's Mr. Ian Dempsey himself! Personally speaking, at least RTE are making money out of this. What's worse are the 'Up For The Match' GAA things that, to put it mildly, are cringeworthy, uninteresting, gombeen telly, and that's just if your county happen to be in the All-Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

jesus flutt you do nothing but complain about where your taxes/license fees are going on every forum. If its not that we have to hear about your bowels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

barakus wrote: »
    jesus flutt you do nothing but complain about where your taxes/license fees are going on every forum. If its not that we have to hear about your bowels
    He/we as tax payers are more than entitled to question where and how those taxes are spent.
    The fact that RTE are being questioned in this instance make it all the more laudable.
    Little or no fiscal responsibility in that joint and they need to be called on it. Often!

:confused:

So you are quite happy to see a coterie of state workers grow fat on the hog while the taxpayer shovels the shillings into them?

All this whilst coming under a sheet of austerity and increased taxes and charges.

If you are,fine, but most reasonable people are not, I would contend.

M'kay?

In this particular instance I would have to say no..I dont give a bollox if a sports show was presented from a pub. They probably made money by doing so anyway

In this particular instance I would have to say no..I dont give a bollox if a sports show was presented from a pub. They probably made money by doing so anyway

Horse, you are avoiding the question YOU raised.

That is, me complaining about MY taxes and how they are spent and the bang I get for my buck.

So I take it you are quite happy to see Marzie et al,pocket a wedge of €450.000 minimum for two two hour shows a week with at least 3 months off every year.?:eek:

Justify that.

I will have to conced to your superiour arguing skills Flutt as I dont even know who Marzie is.

And what question did I raise? I dont remember asking any questions.

I merely stated that I find your mixture of griping about taxes being wasted(I dont disagree btw) and graphic descriptions of bowel movements a bit odd thats all.

I will have to conced to your superiour arguing skills Flutt as I dont even know who Marzie is.

And what question did I raise? I dont remember asking any questions.

I merely stated that I find your mixture of griping about taxes being wasted(I dont disagree btw) and graphic descriptions of bowel movements a bit odd thats all.

Marzie is Marian Finucane the 'Queen' of Montrose.

I'm a poster of eclectic views and opinions and thus don't be too surprised if I integrate the discourse and argument of the higher social values with the more base functions.

You will just have to pick your way through the turds,if I can be so crude on this respectable forum:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Freekin disgrace ...the contract Marzie has chiseled out of the gimps in Montrose.

Who signed orf on that one ?...would be very interesting to find out.

Her pal Meeriam at least puts in a good shift as i heard her introducing some "Gasts" for her show this morn on the main RTE "nehwork".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

squonk wrote: »
    OB's are nearly always boring.

Nearly but not always.

Two of the best editions of Today with Pat Kenny in recent times have come from outside broadcasts in Kilkenny and Dundalk.

Although, while both of the above programmes were topical and informative, I can't help thinking that sending Pat Kenny to Kiely's for an O.B. would be complete without an interview with Ross O'Carroll Kelly.

Limerick this week complete with a patronising English guy.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Limerick this week complete with a patronising English guy.

Welsh is he not?

Went down like a lead balloon.

Welsh is he not?

Went down like a lead balloon.
    Dewi Morris (spelling?)Welsh sounding name, English scrum half from the early 90s I think.

A lead balloon indeed with the obligatory mention of pints of the black stuff and other paddywhackery guff.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Dewi Morris (spelling?)Welsh sounding name, English scrum half from the early 90s I think.

A lead balloon indeed with the obligatory mention of pints of the black stuff and other paddywhackery guff.

Thought Con introduced him as Welsh, but no matter, embarrassing spiel trying to get the brand into everything.

The Claw anecdote was cringeworthy,.... clue... the Claw runs a pub in Limerick.

Bad stuff, bad stuff indeed.

Thought Con introduced him as Welsh, but no matter, embarrassing spiel trying to get the brand into everything.

The Claw anecdote was cringeworthy,.... clue... the Claw runs a pub in Limerick.

Bad stuff, bad stuff indeed.
    Diageo will love him mooching pints.

Advertisement