Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Solid Fuel Range to Oil

Options
  • 13-12-2009 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

Would appreciate any thoughts info from you, we are thinking of converting my parents heating system from solid fuel range to oil.

We have two options:

Convert Super Stanley Solid Fuel range to oil - to heat 8 rads for an old bungalow (no insulation), and hot water and cooking.

or
    Leave Solid Fuel Range to heat kitchen and put in outside boiler to heat DHW and rads

There are pros and cons to the above and I just wanted to get your thoughts on them:

1) I have heard converted ranges are very noisy? Is this true?
    Would not suit as kitchen is room used for everything

2) Cost of oil - currently just using turf, but given cost of oil in future is it good to be putting in oil now

3) Cost of converting or putting in new range as against cost of buying and installing a oil fired burner - what are your thoughts on this?

3) The reason we are converting is for parents who are getting older and for them to heat house - without too much work with solid fuel.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

My quick short answer would be to keep the range as they know it for cooking and a bit of comfort in the kitchen etc. Fit a separate oil system. A boiler designed just for oil will be a lot more economical than a converted range. And you can have problems with conversions.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 joost3

thanks for the feedback Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

+1 keep the solid fuel heating in the home and also install an oil burner.

Does the soild fuel heat the whole house at the min? If it does, why not change the tank so you could still heat the house by two ways, incase oil gets very dear in the future.

We have solid fuel & oil heating in our new house. Its great, we use our stove most of the time which heats the house and if we are away we can set the oil on timed so the house is warm when we come back.

Converted ranges can have alot of problems and i have heard that they are noisy also. Oil cookers are very expensive and I would recommend a condenser boiler outside (costs around €1200 - €1300)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Oil range conversion
    Can someone please tell me roughly how much it would cost to convert an oil fired Stanley Superstar to solid fuel? Is it a big job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nettieja

Hi Royster999, did you get any replies to the post about convert a range, if so i would appreciate knowing if it can be done and roughly how much,

Kind regards
    Annette

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

nettieja wrote: »
    Hi Royster999, did you get any replies to the post about convert a range, if so i would appreciate knowing if it can be done and roughly how much,

Kind regards
    Annette

Just seen this now.
    I never got an answer on whether it can be done

Advertisement