Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink Driving...DO YOU DO IT ? ? ?

• 29-11-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Well do you do it ???

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I don't drive, I have a friend who does it regularily, needless to say he has almost constantly bruised kidneys when I find out about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I don't drive, I have a friend who does it regularily, needless to say he has almost constantly bruised kidneys when I find out about it.

Shop him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Simple answer. NO. Ive seen the damage it can do, and unfortunately it's often the drunk driver who gets out and walks away either fine or with only minor injuries. Get a taxi if you cant go out and not drink for a night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No, and anyone who does/would consider doing it is nothing but a reckless scumbag.

Never mind taking your driving licence away, there should be a HUGE fine and community service and/or custodial sentences.

Drink driving is a killer and anyone who does it should have the book thrown at them and then some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Never and never would. Its definitly not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's one of the most scummy things someone could do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Dartz

I did once.

Taxi driver didn't show up after I'd booked him. No chance of getting another one a 2am in Ballyporeen.

It was either that, or walk 5 miles down an unlit back road road at night, with drunk drivers on the prowl. I'd rather have the protection of the car around me, considering how many pedestrians get squashed at night.... even by sober drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Shop him tbh.

If we are out drinking his keys are given to me anyway.

It's when he's out with other people he does it. But I almost always find out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's one of the most scummy things someone could do

Ah come on, it hardy has anything on genocide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Dartz wrote: »
    No chance of getting another one a 2am in Ballyporeen.
    me brother has a child with a youngone from there.

Used to drink drive but not decided to grow up. Not gonna give out about people who do it now cos that would only make me a hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Dartz wrote: »
    I did once.

Taxi driver didn't show up after I'd booked him. No chance of getting another one a 2am in Ballyporeen.

It was either that, or walk 5 miles down an unlit back road road at night, with drunk drivers on the prowl. I'd rather have the protection of the car around me, considering how many pedestrians get squashed at night.... even by sober drivers.

You didn't want to take the chance of getting hit by a drunk driver, so you decided to drink drive?! Completely stupid and selfish thing to do imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

tuxy wrote: »
    Ah come on, it hardy has anything on genocide.
    Genocide isn't scummy. It's a super-scummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

No. Way too dangerous.
    That new add on at the moment is prity sad. (The one about the young footballer who had a crash and is now brain damaged)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Dartz

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    You didn't want to take the chance of getting hit by a drunk driver, so you decided to drink drive?! Completely stupid and selfish thing to do imo.

I'm a selfish person. But having done the same walk stone cold sober... It's bloody terrifying to come face to face with a Pajero do 80kph around a blind bend with it's headlights blazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

Absolutely no fuckin way.

Ive been in cars with people driving who were drunk when I was younger though which is damn stupid as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No and why would anyone be stupid enough to admit it on a public forum. Particulrly when the law is able to retain all this data.

May not be so important now but if you were involved in a serious accident involving DD down the line you could be fooked for admitting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nope. Its aint worth it. I cant afford to lose me licence. Im not goin to risk that for afew lousy pints.

Drink driving aint the real problem anyway. Its speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

No way. Been in a car with a drunk driver once. I couldn't have been more relieved when he finally turned off the ignition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Did it once... drove about 30 foot, copped on to myself and proceeded to walk home. Had about 3 pints in 4 hours so may/may not have been over the limit but copped on.

The big question is how many people are still over the limit the morning after... probably quite a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Agricola wrote: »
    Nope. Its aint worth it. I cant afford to lose me licence. Im not goin to risk that for afew lousy pints.

Drink driving aint the real problem anyway. Its speed.

Speed is a problem - Not being able to drive at speed safely is an even bigger one.

Any sort of speed + drink = twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

isnt being on a mobile whilst driving more dangerous than driving after 1 or two pints?

How many non drink drivers have ever used a phone while driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I dont drive but ive been in a car with someone who had a few drinks and it was scary as hell. It was fairly stupid of me to get in the car in the first place so if anything had happened i only had myself to blame. Put me off ever drinking and driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

gramlab wrote: »
    Speed is a problem - Not being able to drive at speed safely is an even bigger one.

Any sort of speed + drink = twat

If all this these 21 yr old colin mcrae wannabees didnt actually drive at speed in the first place, then they would be safe.

Im just sorry drink isnt the main reason for the road carnage, because then it could be rooted out and actually solved. As it stands, the law has to try and solve a culture of stupidity and irresponsibility. Thats much harder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I never drink and drive any more.
    When I'd hit a bump in the road I'd keep dropping the pint glass in the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No.
    Anyone that does is a fúckhead of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

SV wrote: »
    No.
    Anyone that does is a fúckhead of the highest order.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 carrie4

No, Never would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No way, still think it's an age thing. I don't know of many my age (30) ho would buy at 35-40 I know a few who would have 1 and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

Interesting to see how many people would admit to answering a phonecall / looking at a text message while driving. Studies show its as dangerous as driving after 5/6 pints I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Yep, my local is 2miles away, No possibility of getting a taxi and walking is out of the question, so yeah - I drive, I tip away down there every saturday night, everybody does. I've done it for years, I'll continue to do it.

/awaits onslaught.

Fcukit, so many people sayin "nooooooo never" blah blah blah, course you have.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

FearDark wrote: »
    Yep, my local is 2miles away, No possibility of getting a taxi and walking is out of the question, so yeah - I drive, I tip away down there every saturday night, everybody does. I've done it for years, I'll continue to do it.

/awaits onslaught.

No dude.
    No they fucking haven't.

No dude.
    No they fucking haven't.

Im willing to bet that most of them have drink drove in the past, 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine and a drive home = drink driving.

/awaits onslaught.

I'm going to assume you're trolling..if not..well it's almost worth the ban to say what you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

/awaits onslaught.

You would rather drink drive than walk 2 miles? (shakes head) Is 2 miles really out of the question? My grandfathers generation thought nothing of walking 5 - 10 miles at night home from the pub

the locust wrote: »
    You would rather drink drive than walk 2 miles? (shakes head) Is 2 miles really out of the question? My grandfathers generation thought nothing of walking 5 - 10 miles at night home from the pub

Its not like im walking 2 miles through a town, its in the middle of nowhere and im more likely to be swept away by a flood or knocked down if I walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Im willing to bet that most of them have drink drove in the past, 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine and a drive home = drink driving.

No most people havent cos they either make sure someone is staying sober an driving or SHOCK HORROR go out and dont drink. It is possible ya know....

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Was almost FORCED to by a friends mother.

Friends 19th birthday and he had a session, Someone at the session got too drunk to stand, Soiled himself several times, and wrecked 2 beds that he was put in. When his mother came home she flipped the lid (naturally) and kicked everyone out including me who was supposed to stay that night.

The mother marched me off down the road making sure I was driving my MOTORBIKE home. But I got to the end of the road, Sat down for a good while on the path, Waited till she was in bed and went back to the house and slept anyway, no way was I risking my license, Life or another's life for the stupidity of two other people.

I still resent the bixxch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm always on a motorbike so never won't even have one drink, but lets be honest there are high rates of drinking driving occurring, I live in a small village I see it happening all the time.

What I would be curious about is how many people here would said no, would drive after a joint, based upon previous threads there are quite a few people here who use recreational drugs, so what the story on that one.

Do people drive after they have taken something other than alcohol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I think a lot of people younger than 30ish are probably not aware of the extent to which drink driving was accepted, even tolerated in the very very recent past.

I certainly did a few times a (good) few years ago and many of my peers would have done the same. It wasnt widespread by any means but it was something that wasnt considered to be as outrageous as it is now. It also seems to be still fairly commonplace in the States.

Of course, it is a blooody good thing that its social acceptability has been well and truly ended here to the point that even suggesting you do it earns the tag of troll!! But, noone should be fooled into believing that there are not many many people who still do it. It is a bit like smoking in someone's house; noone would dream of that now, but 10 years ago, you would light up without even asking permission. Just shows how societal change can be rappid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

drkpower wrote: »
    I think a lot of people younger than 30ish are probably not aware of the extent to which drink driving was accepted, even tolerated in the very very recent past.

I certainly did a few times a (good) few years ago and many of my peers would have done the same. It wasnt widespread by any means but it was something that wasnt considered to be as outrageous as it is now. It also seems to be still fairly commonplace in the States.

Of course, it is a blooody good thing that its social acceptability has been well and truly ended here to the point that even suggesting you do it earns the tag of troll!! But, noone should be fooled into believing that there are not many many people who still do it. It is a bit like smoking in someone's house; noone would dream of that now, but 10 years ago, you would light up without even asking permission. Just shows how societal change can be rappid.

Yeah the thing is drug driving appears to be more pervalent in the under 30s though I may be prejudiced as I encounter a lot of it.

I remember my dad used to drive home from work every night after four or five pints, very few thought anything of it at the time.

However, just to be clear I condone neither, before the troll accusations come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes I did, on a number of occasions when i was younger.

I stopped. i Havent done so in perhaps 6 years.

It a simple rule now, if i even had a mouth of drink i wont drive, no grey areas there then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

One of the most stupid things people can do, simple rules for a very obvious reason, i think the penalties are way too lenient for drink driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

sometimes if i know ill get away with it, never more then 4 or 5 drinks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Same here, most weekends at some point. Usually after 4 or 5 cans. I've even been breathalyzed a couple of times and always under the limit mainly because I drink the cans over the space of about 6 hours. So yeah call me a scumbag, etc, if you wish. But I'm still gonna do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't have a problem with anyone having one or 2 and driving home as long as they don't act the ape along the way. It's perfectly legal and should stay that way.
    I've more of an issue with middle lane drivers (as they can't even drive properly sober) than I do with the farmer having a few pints in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Never at night, but there have been a few occasions where I reckon I may have been slightly over the limit on the morning after - even at 11 or 12 o clock. Not drunk obviously but it's hard to know if there's still '2 pint's worth' in your system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Jaeger 90 wrote: »
    sometimes if i know ill get away with it, never more then 4 or 5 drinks though

How do you know you'll get away with it?

lol, I can't believe in this day and age there's people who will openly admit to drink driving and be happy and proud about it.
    hopefully you get put off the road before you kill someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement