Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

hmm. im just gonna try watch from window this time. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The Friday 00:04 pass seems to be the closest visible before dock

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

just pete wrote: »
    Will it not be too far south of Ireland to see?

Nope , though you are right and it wont be as bright as the last pass.

efla wrote: »
    The Friday 00:04 pass seems to be the closest visible before dock

Yah, if the pass is visible tonight (and it might be just about), it'll be extremely low relative the the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Is it worth while staying up to see this? I didnt see the last one, fell asleep!! Any estimites on the time it should be visable again tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

another pass due at around 0:55-1.05 , 20 mins or so .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there people in the ISS constantly and what do they do??..is it used for spying??

Yah, if the pass is visible tonight (and it might be just about), it'll be extremely low relative the the horizon.

Doesnt look more than 20 deg above... And at 0.7 I wont see it. Alt is poor for the friday one too

Next pass wont be too good unless you have a clear western horizon

cobijones wrote: »
    Is it worth while staying up to see this? I didnt see the last one, fell asleep!! Any estimites on the time it should be visable again tonight?

About... 20ish minutes. It'll be very low relative to the horizon, though. It won't be anything like the earlier pass.
    elfa wrote:
    Doesnt look more than 20 deg above... And at 0.7 I wont see it. Alt is poor for the friday one too

Yah, the next passes are a little disappointing compared to this one. They might work out ok, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Phew!! Finally caught up with the last page in the thread!! :D

I'd like to appologise again to the guys in the STS 127 - Endeavour thread who where also talking about tonights events in their thread at the weekend. I just thought that the thread title was unlikely to pique the interest of other boardsies. A nice catchy title like "Shuttle Launce Visible from Ireland Tonight" really got the punters in didn't it. :D Has to be a record for the astronomy forum.

I actually heard about this first over on the IFAS (Irish Federation of Astronomical Soceities) forum. Anyone with an interest in Astronomy should pop over there too.

Hopefully events like tonights will get more people looking up at the sky. Manmade objects wizzing overhead are pretty amazing but theres a lot of 'Natural' cool stuff up there too. There is a heck of a lot of cool things to see even in a small pair of cheap binoculars. At the moment one of the coolest things visible is the planet Jupiter in the Southern sky. (The really bright 'Star') Visible after Midnight. One has to stay up late to see it at the moment but in the coming weeks and month or two it'll be visible much earlier. Even the smallest Cheapest pair of Binoculars will show a bright disc with several of Jupiters Moons visible in a line beside the planet.

But back to tonights events...I am still buzzing. I think the tension about the weather in Florida and the previous Mission scrubs never mind our weather made it all the more exciting. Just in time I heard that Sky News were showing the launch with Nasa commentary so I got to watch it on the 40" plasma with the surround sound turned up instead of in a little window on the PC. Talk about goosebumps. The 'Irish' angle, the fact that we would see it live...for real....only minutes later made the launch even more special to watch.

Did I mention I got amazingly lucky just before when I went out back to see if their were any Noticulent Clouds and saw a Mag -8 Iridium flare!

I got incredibly lucky again that the clouds just cleared in time. Got to see 3/4 of the flyover. OMG, I couldn't believe how bright the Shuttle and the fuel tank were. Much brighter than the ISS. I couldn't believe how fast they were. I couldn't beleive how Orange the fuel tank was.

Spectacular!! :D:D. The ISS passes before and after were amazing too. The station is getting so big now that the shape of the big solar panels is starting to be discernable in Bino's now.....and its 400 miles up!!

What a night and I am so happy that so many people got to see this event as a result of this thread!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

How long was the last one visable for?

Calibos wrote: »
    Phew!! Finally caught up with the last page in the thread!! :D

I'd like to appologise again to the guys in the STS 127 - Endeavour thread who where also talking about tonights events in their thread at the weekend. I just thought that the thread title was unlikely to pique the interest of other boardsies. A nice catchy title like "Shuttle Launce Visible from Ireland Tonight" really got the punters in didn't it. :D Has to be a record for the astronomy forum.

I actually heard about this first over on the IFAS (Irish Federation of Astronomical Soceities) forum. Anyone with an interest in Astronomy should pop over there too.

Hopefully events like tonights will get more people looking up at the sky. Manmade objects wizzing overhead are pretty amazing but theres a lot of 'Natural' cool stuff up there too. There is a heck of a lot of cool things to see even in a small pair of cheap binoculars. At the moment one of the coolest things visible is the planet Jupiter in the Southern sky. (The really bright 'Star') Visible after Midnight. One has to stay up late to see it at the moment but in the coming weeks and month or two it'll be visible much earlier. Even the smallest Cheapest pair of Binoculars will show a bright disc with several of Jupiters Moons visible in a line beside the planet.

But back to tonights events...I am still buzzing. I think the tension about the weather in Florida and the previous Mission scrubs never mind our weather made it all the more exciting. Just in time I heard that Sky News were showing the launch with Nasa commentary so I got to watch it on the 40" plasma with the surround sound turned up instead of in a little window on the PC. Talk about goosebumps. The 'Irish' angle, the fact that we would see it live...for real....only minutes later made the launch even more special to watch.

Did I mention I got amazingly lucky just before when I went out back to see if their were any Noticulent Clouds and saw a Mag -8 Iridium flare!

I got incredibly lucky again that the clouds just cleared in time. Got to see 3/4 of the flyover. OMG, I couldn't believe how bright the Shuttle and the fuel tank were. Much brighter than the ISS. I couldn't believe how fast they were. I couldn't beleive how Orange the fuel tank was.

Spectacular!! :D:D. The ISS passes before and after were amazing too. The station is getting so big now that the shape of the big solar panels is starting to be discernable in Bino's now.....and its 400 miles up!!

What a night and I am so happy that so many people got to see this event as a result of this thread!!

:D

I'm waiting up for a good view of jupiter :) I missed the flare looking at the clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

cobijones wrote: »
    How long was the last one visable for?

I reckon about 1 min!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Here's a website that will allow you to follow the progress of the Shuttle relative to the ISS.

If you use this site, you can estimate when the Shuttle will pass, because you'll know when the ISS passes. That's what I do, anyway.

Ha Ha -JammyDodger-

You are going to be busy lol

I think the nasa realtime tracking site .......

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/

will get you out of a jam ( sorry no pun intended hehehe ) as i can see
    everyone thinks your the mod for here ;-) and judging by the 1000`s of posts tonight lol i think tomorrow nite could be heactic to say the least .

Absolutely amazing stuff no matter how many times we see it , and those who see it for the first time are equally amazed -JammyDodger- , you`ll be busy LOL

Great night on the forum
    Really enjoyed everyone`s comment :D

Night All

Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

fryup wrote: »
    is there people in the ISS constantly and what do they do??..is it used for spying??

Yes and no. It's a research facility. If you want to know more about it, its wikipedia would be a good place to start.

Looks like progress is going up July 24th as planned, trailing behind until Endeavour heads home - it would be great to get lucky with the timing of the passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_nwXnxtio

Managed to get a short vid of the shuttle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hadouken!!

Thanks , that was cool ,

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

Guys press the zoom + button on the tracking site, looks cool.

• Advertisement

Guys and Gals, heres a video taken by one of Irelands Premier Astrophotographers Dave Grennan. He has some amazing shots of Nebulas and Galaxies on his site too which you should look at. He's also discovered 3 of the 6 recent Irish Asteroid discoveries. No Asteroids discovered by an Irish man since the 1840's and then Dave Grennan and Dave McDonald discover 6 in the space of 18 months in '08 and '09.

Heres The Shuttle and Fuel Tank vid.

http://www.webtreatz.com/index.php/articles/34-general-articles/58-space-shuttle-endeavour-14th-july-2009

SOme pics on the IFAS thread:

http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum?func=view&catid=11&id=79223&limit=15&start=90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

jumpguy wrote: »

Bah... who needs HD.... and I posted my lil anti HD vid a whole minute before your post..... :p

(great vid by the way!!!)

RedRaven wrote: »
    Guys press the zoom + button on the tracking site, looks cool.

RedRaven

I forgot to meantion the zoom button lol

space shuttle coming round again in a few mins but very low

Stargate

They're talking about a possible repair job in the press conference - looks like a gouge in the heat shield

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

They were great videos. About 5mins to next pass of the shuttle I reckon!

I'd start looking out soon for the next pass. It'll rise WSW I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hadouken!! wrote: »
    Bah... who needs HD.... and I posted my lil anti HD vid a whole minute before your post..... :p

(great vid by the way!!!)
    It's not mine! :P Direct all your love and attention to lostexpectation for it please!

I wish I had one of those binocular-cameras so I could have my own zoomed video, seeing the 3 little thruster rings and that little bit of white "spray" (which was apparently a thruster) was pretty cool. It'd have kicked all Youtube's ass. :P

EDIT: Jammydodger, quick question for ya, the next ISS pass is at 1:15, how long a wait d'you think it'll be until the shuttle passes after it? Would be super seeing it twice in one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Shot a video from Dublin. It's still processing the HD feed though
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ8Qr5Zs0gY

Word just in from Eamonn the guy who started the thread over on the IFAS forums where I first heard about this.

We may get to see the same thing in August when the Next shuttle mission launches!!

Woohoo!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 celticsibh

The shuttle passed at approx 0050. It wasn't very bright.

Advertisement