Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stapes21

jus seen it clearly passin over ballinasloe in galway bou 5 mins ago what a sight to behold

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

just passed oh w-e north dublin beautiful sight,,sst plus yellow tank

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

johnp23 wrote: »
    just disappeed out of site in tallaght dublin

I caught a glimpse from my front Garden as it was headign over the house. Went through, picking up my phone on the way and it never reappeared.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HiTecRedneck

excellent!!! perfect view of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

That was so cool! Perfect clear skies in Limerick to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh man that was amazing :) I think I did a sex wee

Walked out at 11.15 and saw it and thought "wow that's early, and quite low, and quite loud"

Damn airplanes :D

Then spent 5 minutes staring at the brightest thing in the sky, trying to determine if it was moving. Think it was Mars I was looking at :D

Then couldn't miss the shuttle :eek: 2 really bright dots, booting it along at 4000 mph or somethin :) Absolutely gorgeous sight...

Love it

Thanks for the info, astronomy guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dkelly

Got a clear view in Kildare.... was lucky to be at Endeavour launch in 07 so nice to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wellaway

grear launch, brilliant overhead traverse over Glasheen in Cork, bloody camera out of juice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

Just saw it pss over cork city was a lot brighter than I expected and the glow from the fuel tank traling behind was class! I almost missed it as another object passing overhead from a due south direction a few minutes earlier fooled me into thinking that was it..Glad I kept looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

saw it in East Clare - like 2 lights close together - one white, one orange ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Saw it really clearly from my garden in Kilkenny. Absolutely amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I missed it! Will I be able to see it again when it passes over again later tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

jumpguy wrote: »
    Beautiful view in Limerick! Watched it on binoculars all along. Caught it just at the point of EFT seperation. Beautiful red star, and in the binoculars I could see the 3 white rings of the shuttles engines. That was amazing! :D My neighbour was out looking at it too. The waiting was defo worth it, especially since it could be the last time I see that. Was visible until it entered shadow! :D

Definitely worth the wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Its too cloudy here in Irvine, Scotland to see anything :( If anyone has some pics I would love to see them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

just saw it at carnsore, with the tank trailing. had whole family out
    dead cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

i just watched it ! i stood in my garden for 20 minutes waiting for it . such a nerd :D my grandad kept telling me it was a plane . . yeah a plane with something hanging out from the bottom ha ha didnt have my camera unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

wow that was awesome!!! All clear in Dublin. Had a very restricted view but managed to get a few seconds of it recorded on my cam, will post a link when i get it uploaded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Saw it over Waterford...thought i had missed it and was about to go back in. amazing sight, wasnt expecting to see it so clearly - both the shuttle and the external fuel tank...amazing! glad i got to see it before it retires

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Saw it in Galway! Looked like a bright white light with an orange light travelling at speed across the sky. So cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Amazing, external tank was perfectly clear too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just saw it! Watched it live on BBC News 24 then saw it overhead 18 minutes later! A big white light and a dimmer orange one alongside it. It faded out halfway across the sky, presumably because it went into the Earth's shadow and wasn't reflecting sunlight any more. So cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Isn't ISS passing at 11.39?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Just flew over Ventry ... saw two bright dots from West to east

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Stunning views of Shuttle and Tank in Rosslare, Dublin and Cork (according to family members).

A MASSIVE THANK YOU to the Original Poster Calibos, and a big thanks to all the other contributors. Stunning stuff and looking foward to its next pass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Passed overhead just northeast of Shannon at 23:21, looked like moment of EFT separation. quite cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ah that was great! Two very bright lights, couldn't see any orange tail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

you could clearly se the orange colour of the fuel tank. well worth walking out the back door for!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

was i seeing things or was there a 3rd, extremely faint object, following the shuttle and tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads did someone mention that the ISS will be visible tonight also?

What time, etc.?

Cheers
    bennyob wrote: »
    was i seeing things or was there a 3rd, extremely faint object, following the shuttle and tank?

OMG :eek:

star_Wars-space-battle_L-01.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

that was awesome. saw it from leixlip. was huge

Advertisement