Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Elite, Good Deal???

Options
  • 11-02-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi Guys just a quick question, about to take the plunge and buy an Xbox.

I can get an Elite console and Assassins Creed for 410 Euro in Game in Newry.

Is this good value or am i likely to get better in Dublin or somewhere, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If it's new I'd get it, 2nd hand I'd avoid like the plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

yes its brand new, from Game. i think i'll go for it so i was just seeing if there were some better deals in some shops in dublin like

thanks for your comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Search aropund aon this forum for waht you should look for - model number serial number etc.

Some of the 'Elites' have the old RROD probs so it would be worth ur while searching boards man.

Model no. or serial no. don't really matter. It is luck of the draw, I've had 2 elites go south on me, one old chipset (zephyr i think) and a new falcon one while my old premium had zero issues over the year and a half i had it, if you're unlucky you're unlucky that's it. Plus in shops like game you may not get a choice as to manu-date etc with the console.

I think you're mad going for the Elite. 'Tis the same as the Pro, just with a bigger HDD. I got a pro with Halo 3, CoD4, Forza 2, Viva Pinata, and an extra wireless joypad for €450 in Smyths in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

gambiaman wrote: »
    Search aropund aon this forum for waht you should look for - model number serial number etc.

Some of the 'Elites' have the old RROD probs so it would be worth ur while searching boards man.

A prominant game store like GAME would have a fairly high turnover of 360's.I'd say theres a 90% chance of all their stock of 360's being Falcon models.I have a 360 premium with the falcon chipset myself and i have much more confidence than my old one.Even after a few hours play its not too hot.Build quality still seems fairly shabby, though.Thats a good deal on the elite OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

'Tis the same as the Pro, just with a bigger HDD.

its the exact opposite of the pro, it doesnt reach boiling point at the back no matter how long you leave it on, just make sure its the 175w

edit: shifty its only 50 quid more for the elite, if your pro breaks down youl regret not payin the extra 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Have they not started using the new chip in the Pro Consoles now. You know the ones with HDMI??

I thought the newer Pro's were as stable as the Elite now although no Xbox 360 is 100% safe from the RROD?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

its the exact opposite of the pro, it doesnt reach boiling point at the back no matter how long you leave it on, just make sure its the 175w

edit: shifty its only 50 quid more for the elite, if your pro breaks down youl regret not payin the extra 50

Thats not true,

My elite I got last week is the same as my mates pro he got last week, both 175w, both same chipset, both as quiet as each other, in fact, id say my elite gets hotter than her pro console, mine aint as well ventilated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

A question like this comes up every 3 or 4 days.

It's about time there was a deals sticky in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think you'll find that all 360 consoles made since about september are 175watt versions.Since august all have hdmi ports aswell so the elite really is just a pro with a bigger HD, a different colour and an official hdmi cable.Basically, you have a greater chance of gettin a 175watt pro than elite because the pro is more popular.The idea that elites are more reliable than pro's and arcade's is total BULL****

yous can stop moaning about it now lads

Moaning about what?

Being right? Finding holes in your argument?

FAIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Don't get Assassins Creed. It lasts literally half an hour before you start saying, "Ive done this ten times already" Trade it in for something different, Gears of War for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

Jay P wrote: »
    Don't get Assassins Creed. It lasts literally half an hour before you start saying, "Ive done this ten times already" Trade it in for something different, Gears of War for example.

Solid advice OP.

Jay P wrote: »
    Solid advice OP.

Have to disagree with both of ye there. Whatever about asassins creed, that's purely a matter of opinion (plenty of people think it is great, me included), but OP whatever you do do not buy Gears of War or get it bundled with the console.

Aside from it being way overhyped and around 5 hours long it has sweet feck all trade in value. You would easily pick it up 2nd hand or on special offer for next to nothing.

If they give you an option of a game and you don't want asassins creed get something very new, that way you can sell, or trade it in later for a good price. Trade in price for Gears of War will be less than a fiver.

Assassins creed is a good game, alright but not as good as the Orange Box or Bioshock (both of which mop the floor with Gears of War) and for the love of god avoid buying halo 3 new. It ain't great in single player and there are tonnes of them flying around so you'd have no problem picking one up cheap.

Moaning about what?

Being right? Finding holes in your argument?

FAIL.

what argument? its a forum my friend, i was being informative :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

Have to disagree with both of ye there. Whatever about asassins creed, that's purely a matter of opinion (plenty of people think it is great, me included), but OP whatever you do do not buy Gears of War or get it bundled with the console.

Aside from it being way overhyped and around 5 hours long it has sweet feck all trade in value. You would easily pick it up 2nd hand or on special offer for next to nothing.

If they give you an option of a game and you don't want asassins creed get something very new, that way you can sell, or trade it in later for a good price. Trade in price for Gears of War will be less than a fiver.

Assassins creed is a good game, alright but not as good as the Orange Box or Bioshock (both of which mop the floor with Gears of War) and for the love of god avoid buying halo 3 new. It ain't great in single player and there are tonnes of them flying around so you'd have no problem picking one up cheap.

cheers for the advice man, yeah i can get gears of war either, but i like the look and sound of assassins creed, bu ti havent played either.
    gonna buy the console on friday or saturday.
    Cheers for all the advice so far on the thread. i'm checking its a 175W and then i'll part with the cash

Advertisement