Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mazda 6

Options
  • 06-09-2007 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭

What do you reckon?

a27e1507708d6e52b6d3277618245b1a.jpg

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

It's a Mondeo!! with a new face. :D

Looks good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kikel wrote:
    It's a Mondeo!! with a new face. :D

Looks good though

So true. Actually, I don't like the look of it at all. It reminds me of the mediocre 626, just freshened up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

drool. Any idea when it's launched here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Has a bit of a Lexus look to it IMO. Very Mondeo too...

It's ok, although I loved the current model when it came out first. This doesn't do much for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Lexus IS220 rip off.

Look at the side and back of it, its exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 prem_vw

Agree its a total rip off of the IS200 but way nicer looking than the mondeo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mmm. Not really. Liked the 6 when it came out fist even tho it became bland very very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I think its gorgeous form the front espcially the flared arches a lá RX-8 and those headlights

The back section, espcially the kink in the back side widow is identical to the new Mondeo. - I dont like that.

Thumbs up though!

Unkel , where did u get that pic from?! .. im curious to see what the back is like from that angle, I quite like mazdas .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Well as a current 6 owner I've been eagerly awaiting pics of the new model. Bit confused at the mo', would need to see more angles. Also, presumably this is the hatchback?

Firstly, the Mondeo similarities are unquestionable. Less sure about the IS200 likeness. I like the front and the groove along the lower flanks. However, there seems to be a lot of metal in the area just in front of the rear wheel arch. The rear light -cluster seems to really stand proud of the body (not a criticism, just an observation)...

I don't trust my instincts until I see a car in the flesh/more pics. I'll definetely be taking a test drive 'cos I love my current 6.

It's either this or a 'slightly-used' Golf GTI/320d for my next car. The 6 is getting a bit big tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Lovely looking car and extremely lexus from the side, not a bad thing I suppose.

• Advertisement

OK more pics here...

http://www.autoweek.nl/nieuws.php?id=7155

The pic posted at the top of the thread is the hatchback and is the most unflattering angle IMO. The saloon looks like an evolution of the current car but with nicely flared surfaces and a really neat rear-end. Proportions/stance look really good.

I don't see Mondeo at all any more - I see a bit of Honda Accord though...

Mmm...may have found my next car...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Nice looking motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

More better pics
    Mazda_6_Frankfurt_005.jpg

Mazda_6_Frankfurt_041.jpg

Mazda_6_Frankfurt_027.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

cracking looking motor with good interior. I'd say the MPS version will be a right handful too . Makes you wonder why anyone would have a poverty spec 3 series if you can have one of these with more than 200bhp full loaded for the same price.

The saloon and Estate versions look a lot better. They look more upmarket too than the hatch, which is a definate plus.

However the Estate is a reminder of the Toyota Avensis Tourer at the side, and the saloon has hints of both the BMW 3 series and Lexus IS at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i have a little rule about these midrange saloons- don't be heard saying how 'bloody nice the new one is'. EVER. This is defintiely true of the new mondeo.

This is because you know that sooner than you can say 'jack-of-all-trades, poverty spec, 1.6, plastic wheeltrimmed repmobile', they're out of fashion and you die a little for being foolish enough to believe the hype in the first place.

But i must say, as someone who didn't like the old 6, it looks really mature. it seems a little smaller too which, to me is a good thing because i think its the achilles heels of these cars to try to be all things to all men by taking a sporty saloon like an A4/ 3 Series and puff it up and out.

i might make and exception to my rule provided the std models aren't completely stripped out versions of the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very nice indeed. Definately hints of Lexus IS and Ford Mondeo.

Will be interesting to see if Mazda offer a 1.6 litre (Ford derived?) engine for the Irish market. Up to know they are sensibly restisted the tempation and yet they are a good seller here. I would not be too concerned about basic models either as Mazdas generally are decent speced to begin with.

bazz26 wrote:

Will be interesting to see if Mazda offer a 1.6 litre (Ford derived?) engine for the Irish market. Up to know they are sensibly restisted the tempation and yet they are a good seller here. I would not be too concerned about basic models either as Mazdas generally are decent speced to begin with.

It would hardly be worth their while if the VRT changes(emissions based rather than engine sized based) are actually implemented.

Another thing is that the Mazda 3 saloon is 1.6 minimum, so perhaps Mazda wouldn't want the next model up to have the same size engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Ford need to sue the pants off these dudes. ITS A MONDEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

Skyuser wrote:
    Ford need to sue the pants off these dudes. ITS A MONDEO.

The chances are that isn't an accident... Ford are a major shareholder in Mazda, and probably the sole reason why it still exists.

• Advertisement

2007-Ford-Mondeo-Sedan-03.jpg

Mazda_6_Frankfurt_027.jpg

There's a definite Mondeo-likeness in the hatchback C-piller. That's about it as regards similarity to the Ford however. Probably a consequence of platform-sharing, it's no big deal either way.

The saloon is a bolder, more modern evolution of the current model - no bad thing. Compare the wheel arch blisters, fuel flap and where the bumper meets the rear wing:
    5790dcdaf8297c254e745c495dd1ae3f.jpg

mazda-mazda6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

cantdecide wrote:
    i have a little rule about these midrange saloons- don't be heard saying how 'bloody nice the new one is'. EVER. This is defintiely true of the new mondeo.

This is because you know that sooner than you can say 'jack-of-all-trades, poverty spec, 1.6, plastic wheeltrimmed repmobile', they're out of fashion and you die a little for being foolish enough to believe the hype in the first place.

Good point, very well made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmcg1

Just seen some blurb from Frankfurt motor show, it's a unique chassis, and definately not a ford.
    looks fantastic and throw in mazda driving dynamics and reliability - should be great!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Looks fat.

Nothing special though, just the typical bog standard blah you'd expect, with an aggressive touch to the noes and headlights.

Not objectionable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Does anyone know when we will see it in Ireland?

jonnner wrote:
    Does anyone know when we will see it in Ireland?

Good question. I have no idea.

On the related topic, when is the new Mazda 2 due to arrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

E92 wrote:
    Good question. I have no idea.

On the related topic, when is the new Mazda 2 due to arrive?
    Is that not the car that was given away on the late late show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmcg1

Saw the late late too, reckon the car on the show - Mazda2 I think is here in Oct, Mazda6 arriving Nov my local dealer says!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

bazz26 wrote:

The little piece of blurb on yesterdays Irish Times only mentions 1.8 (118bhp) upwards, starting price expected to be around €26,500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It BeeMee wrote:
    The little piece of blurb on yesterdays Irish Times only mentions 1.8 (118bhp) upwards, starting price expected to be around €26,500

118bhp from a 1.6 litre petrol engine is not very impressive these days not to mind a 1.8 litre. My car is almost 5 years old now and had around 127bhp from launch.

Advertisement