Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Bubble Bursting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

nesf wrote:
    It's going to be an unusual one. Where the ceiling for interest rates will also prove interesting. This is all fairly uncharted territory at the moment with respect to the eurozone, strengthening east etc. My worry/interest isn't so much in the housing market but the economy in general. We badly need a tightening of the belt budget wise tbh.

Yes, we need a tightening of the budget belt- and we are in the middle of an election campaign promising largess beyond anyone's imaginations. We have already signed up to a new NDP programme to spend 184 billion, yes, almost 200 billion, by 2013.......

As for personal expenditure- the best thing that most of us who have SSIAs can do is pay off as much personal debt as possible, as quickly as possible. There is not the same feel-good factor repaying that car loan or knocking a lump off credit card debt as there is in buying a new 47" LCD panel- but we have already totally lost the run of ourselves, and should sit down voluntarily- before it becomes dictated necessity......

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

smccarrick wrote:
    Yes, we need a tightening of the budget belt- and we are in the middle of an election campaign promising largess beyond anyone's imaginations. We have already signed up to a new NDP programme to spend 184 billion, yes, almost 200 billion, by 2013.......

Actually, I disagree with you there. This country needs money poured into infrastructure. I just don't think we need any more tax cuts and need to control our public payroll. Who exactly should be pouring said money in is an issue outside of the scope of this thread tbh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

smccarrick wrote:
    There is not the same feel-good factor repaying that car loan or knocking a lump off credit card debt as there is in buying a new 47" LCD panel-

Do you think? I borrowed money from my parents when I was in college and I don't think I ever felt better about anything I've ever bought than I did the day I paid them back. Maybe if people changed their attitudes a bit and learned to appreciate having financial independance instead of material goods what is coming will be easier to bear.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Curious as to people's opinions on certain areas falling in price. What sort of zone do people view as commutersville? Is a rail connection more favorable than a QBC or motorway access?

I ask with the vague idea of buying in Balbriggan which is of course Commutersville incarnate but has a train connection that would be (in theory) al lot shorter of a commute than a bus route of a shorter distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Balbriggan to me would be the epitome of dublin city commutersville. An oversubscribed and illegular train service. A long lasting and infrequent bus service. A long auld arduous trek in the car. And regarding the bus and train service, add on the distance to the station/stop in both town and in Balbriggan.

Also some of the houses out there are tiny, sinfully so IMO considering the distance from the city etc.

Of course I'm purely being negative here. It just seems like trekking into work day in day out would be a real burden - and to arrive home to a house-by-numbers wouldn't do it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Forgive me I've had too much Chardonnay already but....

Anyone expressing glee at a crash in the housing market is very very short sighted. It will negatively effect almost every family in Ireland. The only exceptions are families who are entirely employed in the public sector.

Apart from our little property bubble the world is on the brink of recession, there are no safe boltholes even for those on 100% mortgages who want to hand back the keys and walk away for 7 years. The one exception for builders is to head for London, I'm told they are already crying out for workers to build for the 2012 Olympics, the smart ones will head there now and get a nice long lease on a rental property, I reckon there will be a throng of ex-Irish builders looking for work in London come the Autumn.

Apart from that, short term corriboard and screenprinting seem to be where it's at, the country will shortly be submerged in a sea of "for sale" signs.

As for stamp duty, AFAIR the total take from FTBs for stamp duty last year was €70m out of €3billion and as affordabilty declines it would be even less this year, it is a given that stamp duty for FTBs will be abolished by any new government the first week they are in office. But as all intelligent people know, stamp duty is a complete red herring as far as the slowdown is concerned.

To those who think that the market can be "talked down" then I say "David McWilliams". As long as I can remember he has been telling all who would listen that Irish property has been overvalued. And what effect has this had? Precisely zero!

As for the housing bubble bursting, I'm told of a new development on the C-link road in Mullingar in which not one property has been sold yet, this week asking prices were reduced by €45K!

invest4deepvalue.com

For what it worth (probably very little in all honesty:D ) it's my opinion that stamp duty in general will be fully reformed in 3 or 4 years time, when revenue from it has slowed to a trickle and it will cost the Government practically nothing to restore to what it should be, a charge for rubber stamping!

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    Apart from our little property bubble the world is on the brink of recession, there are no safe boltholes even for those on 100% mortgages who want to hand back the keys and walk away for 7 years.

The world is on the brink of recession?

jobless wrote:
    poor Joe will be getting a lot more phonecalls in the coming months when the **** really hits the fan!

God, Joe is bad at his job. The discussion was started by a Limerick auctioneer complaining that he couldn't sell any houses until the government announced what they were about stamp duty. Surely the obvious question to ask the man is how many houses the man has on his books aimed at ftb's with an asking price over €317k. You can buy a 4bed semi in a nice part of Limerick for around €300k so whatever about in Dublin, but in every other part of the country the stamp duty issue has nothing to do with prices.

nesf wrote:
    The world is on the brink of recession?

Wake up and smell the roses!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Do-more wrote:

That's a pretty good synopsis of why you think the world is on the brink of a recession....but a little more detail wouldn't go astray!;)

Do-more wrote:

Sure the US is looking very dodgy but the other major economies are doing ok at the moment. If the US went into recession it'd have a big knock-on effect but it's not the only player in the game any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Even if stamp duty was removed overnight prices would simply move to reflect the extra buying power of buyers. Sellers would benefit but lose out if they went on to buy. Stamp duty is a tax on sellers as it generally reduces the amount they get for their property. If a house was selling at 350k today and stamp duty was removed it would rise(ceteris paribas) by about the amount of the previously payable stamp duty as potential buyers had more to spend. Obviously in a falling market prices may not rise by amount of stamp duty but may fall less than they otherwise would have. Anyway prices have fallen in real and/or nominal terms over last 9 months by a sum more than stamp duty so waiting for stamp duty to be removed even at high end of market is a weak argument. Plus as pointed out above 90% of FTBs dont pay stamp duty due to being under 317k or buying a new stamp duty free property. Does anyone think FF will remove stamp duty on 2nd hand houses when they get little benefit from them? They are gonna encourage new house sales as they make 50% on every new property and their developer buddies make money on only new properties too. I think they have made the new build property sector too important in this economy and have set us up for a hell of a beating. FFs history since 1960s is inextricably linked to property development as they got their funding from it and it was usefull for employment and tax revenue, but now they are addicted to it and its rapidly being withdrawn as the housing starts decline indicates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Both nesf and smccarrick have hit the nail on the head here.

A slump in the Irish property markets will be dictated by macro, not micro economics.

I listened to the various auctioneers on the Joe Duffy show today, and to be honest, I had the smallest violin in the world out, playing just for them. They were living in the land of milk and honey for the past 5 years, now suddenly people decide to stop buying for two months and they're laying staff off like it's the end of days. There attitude showed them up for the parasitical creatures that they are.

But back to the Macro economics...

Just look at the US balance of trade deficit. It's out the window. The only thing propping a feeble US Dollar up at the moment is OPEC. It's trading currency is the US Dollar, it you want to buy oil, then you first have to buy US Dollars.

One of the last things Saddam Hussein did while in office was to back Hugo Chavez's motion of changing the trading currency of OPEC from Dollars to Euros, and I wonder what happened to him?...

But that's not the reason I'm angry. I'm angry because Irish politicians from all ends of the political spectra are playing fast and loose with the stamp duty issue. Pure gombeenist parish pump politics.

In a greedy and grubby clamour for power they are already prepared to destabilise an already fragile economy with pre-election spin and promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Regarding stamp duty, there is a certain amount of naiveté surrounding it. Right now it's not an issue for first time buyers because to a great extent, they are exempted from it either via new property or sub 317500 housing prices. The people screaming for stamp duty reform are not now FTBs because by and large, FTBS will find it hard to scrape together more than 317500 of a mortgage.

The issue with stamp duty now is for the trader uppers. They can't afford it, and not only can't they afford it, they are stuck because capital appreciation has all but dried up meaning that the rise in value of any new house is not compensating for the stamp duty any more.

So any comments about FTBs and stamp duty are almost irrelevant; cosmetic at best. The stamp duty issue doesn't affect them too much because they are exempted up to a level by and large beyond what most of them can afford at this stage. The stamp duty is a problem for the next step up, those who want to trade up. They are screwed, in particularly if they bought unsuitable accommodation for the purpose of expecting to trade up in a year or two - they are basically stuck in a deteriorating market with a massive tax bill which capital appreciation won't take the pain off.

That's one point.

Second point: on the subject of glee/market crashing - No one who is expecting/wanting a market crash is particularly gleeful about it. They want a fundamentally sound economy. No one likes to be told they are being stupid but Irish property prices have been out of whack with fundamentals for years and it doesn't take a huge imagination to consider that any correction will be painful, and the bigger the correction, the more painful it will be. Frankly I'm appalled and sickened that we got to this stage, that anyone who said it was unhealthy was by and large ostracized or laughed at...Some of us wanted the correction sooner than later because we knew it would hurt and we wanted to limit that hurt. And now...some people accuse us of glee over coming misfortunes?

This is the point: you cannot have your cake and eat it. You create a bubble. when it bursts, it hurts. But you created it and you can't ask people to be nice to you cos you're hurting from something you created yourself. A hell of a lot of people are going to be affected by a recession caused by people paying too much for property over the past five years, by people convincing themselves that "you can't lose on property". You can lose on everything, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ok this is what i would like to see come out of the next election

a change in how houses are actually purchased.

There should be a period of viewing followed by a one off auction.

The highest Bid on that day over the reserve which has to be stated will get the house. IMO this will stop the constant stretching of folk and those who are in a position to comfortably get the house do so.

As opposed to this constant looking for more cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Both nesf and smccarrick have hit the nail on the head here.

A slump in the Irish property markets will be dictated by macro, not micro economics.

I don't understand what you mean by this.
    For example if the US economy begins to rebound, there will be further scope to leave the IR unchanged, and in time raise them to keep a hold of inflation.
    This in turn will allow the ECB to continue to raise rates and keep a tight hold over EU growth.
    This is going to lead to all sorts of grief in Ireland, as IR seem to be the catalyst to much of our woes.

Alternatively the US economy begins the slide, the US slash rates, the ECB must stall and depending on the severity of the contraction in the US perhaps begin to cut. This is ultimately good, with respect to IR for Ireland, but negative in terms of global trade, in particular our reliance on US multinationals.

Conclusion: of course macro economic conditions are going to affect our housing market, it's the grounds for most of the arguments that have been put forward.

But the strength/weakness of the Irish ecomony/housing market isn't pegged to the performance of the wider economies. In fact there is a very real possibility that if scenario one arrives the Irish economy will hit the rocks while much of the world carries on without us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Zambia232 wrote:

The highest Bid on that day over the reserve which has to be stated will get the house. IMO this will stop the constant stretching of folk and those who are in a position to comfortably get the house do so.

I disagree, actually. It's not a transparent way of doing things. The whole constant looking for more cash could be alleviated if you're required to sell once the asking price is met and it means that prospective buyers don't have to guess how much to bid if they want to buy the house.

I'd also add that the folk being stretched are the folk doing the stretching. I've walked away from houses that exceeded what I was willing to pay. People who don't and then complain about being stretched are complicit in being overstretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

At the moment the most vocal and actve people in the natonal media are papers with a property interest and obviously estate agents/bank economists.
    Yesterdays indo had the piece about estate agents laying off staff tucked into a one page article on FG/Labour. It was coloured grey as well so you would think it was just a little further editorial comment on the FG/Labour piece.
    Andrew Carnegie used to say "Watch what people do not what they say"
    The key things people who are thinking of buying should ignore if they are wondering about direction of house prices.
    Things people say:
    1. "Immigrants as renters, get more in, house prices will rise" - Not true, record levels of immigration have already occured stregthening the rental market. However this is massively diluted as a positive factor when current rental yields and immigrants per house are taken into account.
    2. Immigrants as buyers - A myth, a large percentage of these immigrants who are buying are nurses/doctors with the remaining being immigrants who've managed to secure high paying employment. Immigrants simply don't earn a high enough average wage as a buying sector.
    3. Wage inflaton - Only in Ireland would economists think that wage inflation will give us our soft landing. With the state of the dollar, wage inflation is making us look terrible on the international competive stage. This may be a positive factor now, but a further three years will lead to a flood of Multi nationals exiting.
    4. "Our young demographics." Positive factor for house formation as people get married in the 25-35 bracket. However in the cities family houses in nice areas are massively overpriced, causing people to finally start to hold off on purchase.
    5. "Houses in nice areas will fall the least." I used to think this would be somewhat true. The truer statement is houses in nice areas will fall to a higher capital worth than places in bad/okay areas. Look at the flood of properties coming on the market in the really top areas. As Dutch auctioning sets in prices wll fall by hundreds of thousands depending on initial capital value. ie houses at 1.2 million now, going for 800,000 next year 30% drop. Some people have a view nice areas will only drop by 10%. Similar lets think, nice place in Rathfarnham, asking 800,000 now, next year 550,000.
    6. "Stamp duty is the issue." Who is telling you this? Bank economists - they need a healthy bank, Brendan O'Connor of Sunday Indo - he's got an investment property, estate agents - They need to sell houses, colleagues at work - the most vocal are often people fond of repeating the Irish Times,
    The Irish Times - Marc Coleman stated as if proven beyond all doubt, stamp duty was the issue. IRISH TIMES OWNS MYHOME.IE it also makes huge money from property advertising.
    Who is telling you stamp dury is not the issue, People like myself who make no money from the property market.
    7. "Our fundamentals are sound" - They were only sound when interest rates weren't rising and inflation of goods was low. Now ECB rates are rising and Gas/Oil/ESB/Services(childcare/taxis) are more expensive. Also house prices were lower when compared to average wages.
    8. "House prices are falrly valued for our circumstances" No they are not. People wanted to buy the share that is called the Irish house market. It went up. But then affordability suffered so the banks lent more. Everyone bought everywhere, so now certain shares of Irish market have a extremely low P/E. ie Massive valuation vs. low rent. For examples of this think of all those 1000,000+ red bricks in Dublin. Some places don't even have a P/E as they don't rent.
    9. "We will get a pick up in prices after election/some term it dead cat bounce." As every day passes I can't see how investors with empty propertes along the West coast are not going to tank the market from West to East with a flood of unsaleable property. Most of this property still makes a profit if you sell it at 30-40% below current askng prices. The next rate rise in June is the tipping point. It may even happen at the conference in Dublin n May (Trichet might want to be remembered on pages of European history) . Do the maths on it any way you like, with a further 0.25% rise, the case to sell up and bank money becomes even stronger. People are forgetting about the banks savings rates price war. Banks savings rates are at/near inflation for goods.
    10. Houses will match inflation. Not if there is no market force to make them match inflaton. Do the maths on a 650,000 3bed in Rathfarnham matching 3% inflation for ten years. We haven't got the capacity to raise wages by that degree. People with cash are the fundamental factor of house prices, this has really gone askew here in last three years with high earning people stretchin for a three bed in Dublin. People talk about supply, just because Dublins populaton rises does not mean we can afford more 600,000 3-beds. Most of the new population work in low paid retail/catering/medium paid construction.
    11. "Hold off buying now I did that in 2002" - Look at your calendar its 2007, and we are 7 months into price falls.
    12. "Do you think banks will lend you money if prices crash"
    The banks will be more than happy to lend you money in two years time to buy a family home at a far lower price than today aided by the savings in you high interest savings account built up over two years renting.
    13. "Ye all want a crash so that ye can buy, but then everyone loses their job"
    Isn't it better to not own and be unemployed, than to be unemployed and declared bankrupt. Bankruptcy will be a big danger for skilled tradesmen used to earnng 1200euro+ a week who bought big family homes in last two years.

Things that people are doing,
    1. Far more sellers than buyers. Go onto Daftwatch. It has been stated on this board ad nauseam that first counties to really be oversupplied would be Mayo/Roscommon etc. That was proved correct. There is now no other course for the market there than large scale price drops.
    2. Banks are selling property. The latest Bank of Ireland sale of branches is beng pitched at a lower price. AIB will soon have sold one billion worth of property in 2006/2007. Permo TSB are a little late on the scene and have barely sold anything. This could prove very costly for them.
    Watch out for Permo TSB having a large scale branch/office sell off. Now alot of this property has been owned for decades. It was all explained away with "we are using it as capital for more loans".
    Well, let's just hope the head in the sand hopefullness does not go too far into the banks economic thinking, if we don't have the green the banks better have or we're talking bank collapses.
    3. Property advertisements hiring models.
    It started with Belmayne development and now a few others are at it. These ads are expensive. These ads have been running every day for weeks in several papers. Why is this happening? Developers are struggling to sell property and are even having agreed sales fall through.
    4. Estate agents letting go staff. They can't sell property.
    5. Polish government is seeking planning permission for huge capital investment in infrastructure and stadiums for Euro 2012. This is a chance to show off to rest of Europe. Right now alot of their skilled tradesment are living in UK/Ireland. As things start to tighten up here in the Autumn and as wages rise in Poland (which they are especially in construction) our Polish builders will head home. By Autumn some of them wll have three years savings and three years good experiences. Also alot of them having been working as engineers. They are really needed at home.

Watch what people do not what they say,
    P.J.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zambia232 wrote:

I also disagree - selling in auction is bad for purchasers at the medium and lower ends of the market. When you purchase by private treaty, you purchase "subject to contract" which means that the price is agreed, but you reserve your position whether to complete the sale depending on whether your surveyor gives the all clear, your solicitor confirms good title and any other minor matters are sorted out. When you buy at auction you are bound to that agreement. So a purdent purchasor will have already checked title and structure. Otherwise they could be purchasing a lemon. If you were trying to buy a lower end price and had to do it by auction, this would be an enormous expense if you had to bid on several houses before you got the one you want.

So my general attitude is never to buy on auction, unless you really, really have to buy that particular house.

Calina makes some good points also, and it seems implicit in your argument that the reserve (i.e. asking price) must be met. This means that the current trend of asking prices dropping / not being met will be fettered.

As for stamp duty being an issue, my understanding is that when the threshold of duty for FTB's was increased to 317,500 a few years back, there was a sudden jump in prices equal to, or greater than, the amount of stamp duty that would have been paid on these houses. So an apartment selling for €300,000 with €9k SD, would sell for €310,000 or even €317,500 after it was abolished. So increasing the stamp duty threshold only meant that buyers could spend more, which ultimately led to the money going into developer's pockets. It's the same with s.23/s.50 houses, where they sold way above the odds, thus giving occupiers/investor's a small benefit, but giving a massive chunk of extra cash to developers. It seems to me that if stamp duty was reduced/abolished after the election then either a) this would happen again and be of no real benefit to purchasors or b) the housing market is in such dire straights that it will be nothing more than a drop in the ocean.

As for the shodenfreud point, why not think about it this way...if you purchased a starter home, prices are dropping, and your wage stays more or less the same or increases, then bigger, fancier houses will become more affordable. So even if you loose money on the sale of your current home, you will be purchasing a better home at a greater markdown. Therefore, you get a net gain in trading up.

In the short term, people who paid over the odds for their houses will feel the pinch, but at least they will (hopefully) still have a house that's worth something long term. When people bought houses 30/40 years ago, the amount of capital repayment was miniscule compared to the interest, so if their house went up in price by €500-€1000 this would be fantastic news. Now, the idea that your house is only worth €5k more than you paid for it seems like a raw deal to some people.
    Do-More wrote:
    For what it worth (probably very little in all honesty ) it's my opinion that stamp duty in general will be fully reformed in 3 or 4 years time, when revenue from it has slowed to a trickle and it will cost the Government practically nothing to restore to what it should be, a charge for rubber stamping!

AFAIK, stamp duty was originally used to fund the land registry/registry of deeds, and even then it still needed government funding. But in recent times, the government found that it could actually make money from it. This money could easily have been used to further encourage the registration process (which often makes conveyancing simpler) or furthered other plans to facilitate the sale of property. But instead they have reduced stamp duty rates (they still kept them higher than necessary) and told us they were doing us a favour. There is a great divide between good governance and good politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Your right, when the stamp duty threshold was raised from €190,000 prices rose immediately as buyers could use their stamp duty saved to bid more for houses. Only sellers and auctioneers will benefit from raising the threshold again. Marc Coleman in the Irish Times has been obsessed with stamp duty over the last few weeks especially after he said he wouldnt write about it anymore!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Calina wrote:
    I disagree, actually. It's not a transparent way of doing things. The whole constant looking for more cash could be alleviated if you're required to sell once the asking price is met and it means that prospective buyers don't have to guess how much to bid if they want to buy the house.

Possiblly shouldnt have mentioned this as its a little off topic , but the current system is in no way transparent now either.

This was proven by EA use of ghost bidders where you dont even see the person your bidding against.

pjbrady good post.

pjbrady1 wrote:
    Isn't it better to not own and be unemployed, than to be unemployed and declared bankrupt. Bankruptcy will be a big danger for skilled tradesmen used to earnng 1200euro+ a week who bought big family homes in last two years.

Can you insure your earnings against unemployment in Ireland? We have a policy which will pay out 2/3's of our income for up to 18 months in the case of illness or redundancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

iguana wrote:
    Can you insure your earnings against unemployment in Ireland? We have a policy which will pay out 2/3's of our income for up to 18 months in the case of illness or redundancy.
    Can you? I tried to find something like this 2 years or so ago, but couldn't find one. There was one for illness, but couldn't find the redundancy one, which was what I was really looking for. There was an insurance you could get to pay your mortgage for 1 year if you were made redundant and went on social welfare. iguana, could you post back where you got that income protection policy, I'd be v interested in that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

pjbrady1 wrote:
    Things people say [vs]Things that people are doing
    P.J.

That is one heck of a great post PJ.

I honestly hope people read your points and think about them, its a bloody good summary of Irl Inc.

Every first time buyer I know (including myself) doesn't believe the estate agent bullshít trotted out any more.
    Only the rich and the overstretched (downsizing) are buying now (because they can afford to /cannot afford not to).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

RuggieBear wrote:
    That's a pretty good synopsis of why you think the world is on the brink of a recession....but a little more detail wouldn't go astray!;)

OK here you go! :D;)

"I think worldwide economic chaos could occur during May 2007- Nov. 2010, during the last 3 1/2 years of the End Times Period when the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ride."

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Do-more wrote:

"I think worldwide economic chaos could occur during May 2007- Nov. 2010, during the last 3 1/2 years of the End Times Period when the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ride."
    I scoff in your general direction.

The four horsemen won't be seen until we run out of oil and everyone goes back to using horses.

Thats at least another 6 months away.

Of course, various studies have presented the case that the prophecy actually refers to the four bikers of the apocalypse so it may occur before the end of the oil.

Do-more wrote:

lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Can you? I tried to find something like this 2 years or so ago, but couldn't find one. There was one for illness, but couldn't find the redundancy one, which was what I was really looking for. There was an insurance you could get to pay your mortgage for 1 year if you were made redundant and went on social welfare. iguana, could you post back where you got that income protection policy, I'd be v interested in that. Thanks
    They still exist. It is normally only offered when you get a new mortgage. I had one when I was made redundant. Very useful. Didn't work for 6 months because I didn't need to. The payment on mine was up to a year not 18 months though. Through AIB which use London General Holding.

As for all the glom and doom it is no surprise that something would change but I think people are jumping all over it too quickly.
    Stamp duty is certainly an issue right now but how it has had an effect thus far is debatable. Stupid political fighting is likely to have a negative impact. I must admit I would resent the removal of stamp duty in an abrupt manner. There are certainly more equal ways to remove a tax that many have paid in recent times. I actually don't see why somebody who boughht a a year ago should have poaid a huge amount of tax and get nothing for it with somebody a year later not having to pay tax. It makes more sense to introduce a property tax giving credit to those who have paid stamp duty so as to eliminate stamp duty but maintain government income. I doubt it would be well recieved by the public.

• Advertisement

eh one of the four horsemen of the economic apocalypse (for ireland at least) will be the property bubble!
    lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement