Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my Stag - but how much € ?

Options
  • 16-06-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Folks, just back from two-weeks in the States (work !) and it breaks my heart to see the Stag sitting there awaiting work done, so I think I'm going to sell it. I don't have a driveway at the house, so it's always a challenge doing any DIY on it nevermind keeping it parked safely.

So, need ideas on a price bearing in mind the following:

Good bits:
    * it's a yellow, 1976 Stag MK2 with cream interior
    * hardtop is in good condition with new seals
    * have replaced the soft-top with new mohair, it's 100% watertight
    * has had a reconditioned auto gearbox installed, and it shifts fine
    * has "only" 70,000 miles (old MOTs prove this)
    * interior is in very good nick although needs a new carpet as I ripped the old one out (€140)
    * all the electrics work :-)
    * have fitted new stainless-steel exhausts
    * just bought 4 x new tyres
    * car is 100% original, unmessed with, and unrestored - even the reconditioned autobox is the original
    * drives very well and never overheats
    * cost me €5,000 to which I added about €1,000 of parts

Bad bits:
    * has a couple of holes in the floor which need welded - but at least these appear to be predictable places for the stag
    * needs carpet (but that's an easy job and can be got for €140)
    * needs some mild head-work to cure some tappet noise (I bought new cams, buckets, shims etc but haven't got around to doing the work)
    * has a leak in the transmission - blows oil out around the engine when > 60mph. Think it might be from the gearbox's dipstick, as it's a bit loose. I need to fix this asap

There you go. It pains me to sell the car "needing work" so the question is: how well does that kind of thing tend to go ? Was thinking of just asking for €4,500 just to get rid of it - when a nice day comes along and I think I might do some work on it, I end up taking it for a long drive. Mr. Procrastination.

hvv416n_2.jpg

and more at http://mx5ireland.com/stag/hvv416n/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

franksm wrote:
    Folks, just back from two-weeks in the States (work !) and it breaks my heart to see the Stag sitting there awaiting work done...

Was thinking of just asking for €4,500 just to get rid of it - when a nice day comes along and I think I might do some work on it, I end up taking it for a long drive. Mr. Procrastination.

Franksm, this painful dilemma is probably more suited to the Personal Issues forum
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Is it sold with VRT paid on Irish plates and reg book? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Is it sold with VRT paid on Irish plates and reg book? ;)

fergawdssake

Yeeesss, it's now known as ZV60218 all legit and happy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭andyj22

franksm wrote:
    fergawdssake

Yeeesss, it's now known as ZV60218 all legit and happy ;)

Frank
    i,m thinking of a second Stag as a winter project may be interested in this Stag. if possible more pictures of the whole Stag rear , front , sides , engine ,interior etc

thank you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Hi Andy

I'm afraid it's gone to a good home in Galway ! The bloke who bought it was very sound, and he seemed keen about doing the work that it needed, so one day I hope to see it in all its glory again :(

One thing I learned - I was not too enamoured with the 3-speed auto (although it did suit the car - in its big, lazy v8 tourer kind of way). The 4-speed manual was a bit more fun, a bit more challenging, and quite a but better with the petrol :D

I had a look on ebay a few weeks ago, the Stags there seemed to be dogs, but hopefully the good ones will be on sale again now that Summer is melting into Autumn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭andyj22

franksm wrote:
    Hi Andy

I'm afraid it's gone to a good home in Galway ! The bloke who bought it was very sound, and he seemed keen about doing the work that it needed, so one day I hope to see it in all its glory again :(

One thing I learned - I was not too enamoured with the 3-speed auto (although it did suit the car - in its big, lazy v8 tourer kind of way). The 4-speed manual was a bit more fun, a bit more challenging, and quite a but better with the petrol :D

I had a look on ebay a few weeks ago, the Stags there seemed to be dogs, but hopefully the good ones will be on sale again now that Summer is melting into Autumn

Damn

never mind . You say that you are getting another STAG thats good to hear
    my Stag is a 3-speed auto and i love it as i am a lazy driver. i drove it all the way back from Bradford to home in Ros common and it drove like a dream and with out a hitch, i enjoyed the drive even though it was a very long drive. 1973 Car done that drive like i said it drove like a dream, i am now ready to paint my Stag all the prep has been done to perfection it's going to look the bees knees. i will show you all from start to finish photos Saturday or Sunday this week.
    :)

Advertisement