Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a burglar alarm?

Options
  • 25-02-2002 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, got broken into on Saturday evening...

As a result, (too late!), I'm looking to get a burglar alarm fitted in the house.. Anyone have any experience with these?

Can you recommend a brand/product/fitter?

Thanks for any help...

BTW: Couldn't find an appropriate group to post this to.
    I reckon it's not really appropriate for [Technology]\[Security]!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Are you looking to have one fitted, or do you want a run-of-the-mill cheaper one?

Argos do a few cheapie ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Guard dog's the way to go!

tease him, pull his ears, feed him only raw meat, before you know it u'v got yourself a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nah, I'm looking for a proper jobby.. Too many gadgets/electronics in the house...

I currently have my web-cam at home trained on the window they broke-through, detecting any motion, and ready to sound a loud siren, and FTP the pictures to my homepage ;) . However, as you can imagine, this is just a temporary solution!

Looking for something a little more permanent that an Argos solution.

Cheers,

Krusty

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If your doing it yourself. X10 ?

Only alarm company I can think offhand is Aritech, and I'm not even sure if they still exist?

You could try asking an insurance company.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown

I currently have my web-cam at home trained on the window they broke-through, detecting any motion, and ready to sound a loud siren, and FTP the pictures to my homepage ;) . However, as you can imagine, this is just a temporary solution!

And what program are you using for that? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Only alarm company I can think offhand is Aritech, and I'm not even sure if they still exist?

Not sure if Aritech install. My suggestion is go with a local name you recognise in the phone book. If it is a standard 3 bed house, expect to pay €1,000 - €1,250. Get at least 3 quotes. Be aware that if you go with the likes of Chubb, you will pay for the name. Sign up for a monitoring service (about €150 a year), AMS comes to mind, your installer can set this up for you.

Ask for a second box (dud) to be put outside, it makes the burgular that little bit more insecure. Make sure all windows & doors are covered.

Buy window locks.

Ask your insurance company to take the alarm into account with you next insurance quote.

Go to your Garda stationand ask them for any advice leaflets they have, same with the insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I install 'em' every day; well almost but I won't say for who just a well known Company.
    Your better off in the long run going for a better known alarm co as the smaller one man band operations usually don't last very long leaving you up the creek without a paddle if you have a problem down the road.
    Make sure you get as many quotes as you can and get a written specification and price agreed before the installer arrives.
    And make sure who ever you get is listed by the NSAI as IS199 compliant you can search their website to check www.nsai.ie
    I would recomend you get a branded and monitored system as their deterent value is enhanced compared to a plain box that just rings and you know nobody pays any attention to ringing bells.
    Equipment I would recomend would be the Securewatch Panel (What I have )made by HKC an Irish comany or the Verifier made by www.europlex.ie also a good panel by an Irish co, The Aritech stuff is good but IMHO a little more troublesum.

Good luck with it

And if you need anymore advice give me a shout and forget about that Argos rubbish.

RedShift

PS Is your house wired for an alarm already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Alarms that just make noise are no use, i mean, ours has been left ringing for hours and not a single neighbour reported it...why?

because no one is around and anyone who is could'nt care less if your house is getting looted, so noise and monitoring are good.

Thanks for all the help folks!

A bell ringing might not attract huge amounts of attention (other than annoyance), but surely it'll make the burglars scarper? I mean, would they really sit around in a house, with the burglar alarm pelting out blue murder?

RedShift: I could get Phonewatch installed, for approx €1k - €1.25
    (they currently have €250 off for month of Feb). But this is a wireless system. Do you think the phonewatch system is any good? Are wireless systems any good?

No, my house is not pre-wired. I'd also be concerned that some of my other wireless devices might set off the alarm.. What d'ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Ive got like 5 motion sensors round the house in various locations, when they are triggered it automatically phones the alarm company, they phone back and ask for password... none forthcoming they phone the gardai who land ussually within 6/7 minutes... which is nice.

Get an alarm company to set it all up for you. its the easiest way i think. I use BHP alarms but Im in Donegal so taht'll probably mean nowt to ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

telecom phone watch
    but its a bit pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

A bell ringing might not attract huge amounts of attention (other than annoyance), but surely it'll make the burglars scarper? I mean, would they really sit around in a house, with the burglar alarm pelting out blue murder?

actually yes

thats how my neighbours house got broke into, who by the way installs alarms. what happened was the wind or something set the alarm off which was going off for a couple of hours. the little naker that robbed his house seen this and knew no one was in. so had a field day that's on till someone seen him and called the police hehe ;)

Originally posted by OJ
    And what program are you using for that?

Flamegrill orginally pointed this out (on MS Apps/OS).
    It's called
    Pryme .

Lovely little piece of kit..

I only wish I'd had my PC turned on, and this SW running while I was out.. (I switched it off, just as I went out the door)...

Typical:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I've got eircom phonewatch, it's pretty handy, they ring you up if the alarm has been going for more than 1 minute I think and ask for the password, if it's wrong they call the police. Also they call the police if the alarm keeps going and no one answers the phone. The sound of it would wake the dead and when it has been set off and you go turn it off the pitch rises considerably and it is quite painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

alarms dont do much,unless sum1 reports it when it goes off,the bugular will still grab things for bout 2mins if the alarm is going off
    save your self the money and get a guard dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

RedShift: I could get Phonewatch installed, for approx €1k - €1.25
    (they currently have €250 off for month of Feb). But this is a wireless system. Do you think the phonewatch system is any good? Are wireless systems any good?

No, my house is not pre-wired. I'd also be concerned that some of my other wireless devices might set off the alarm.. What d'ya think?

That price 1K plus is as good as your going to get if your house is not prewired. Because a wired system has a lower equipment cost but it will take 3-4 days to wire and install a wired system hence alot of labour cost.
    Phonewatch wireless equipment is expensive but only a 1 day install time so it generally works out the same on price but phonewatch has the added advantage on not neading to remove floorBoards, Carpets, furniture ect.
    I have some techical knowledge about about the wireless gear they use First it is made by Interlogix in the States and supports wired and wireless zones it also has full voice prompting (I.E. SPEAKS) It also uses the mains X10 protocol to control lights ect
    and you can remote access the system by telephone to arm/disarm or switch on/off lights and check the status ect. plus a load of other gadgets you can add on to it dont know if P.W do them all though.
    My overall opinion would be good it's certainly full featured and I don't think you need to worry about inteferance as it's pretty good at filtering and the sensors are supervised in anycase IE they transmit an "im ok" signal regularly plus it is fitted with jam detection circuitry which will initiate a tamper signal if someone tries to jam the freq.
    Thats about all I know but i can find out more if you want.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Redshift

PS Im informed that PW have 20% off next month I think.

Advertisement