Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF??!!!? - The 'What The F*ck' Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

60aca6c09b0ac_kcu52t4883221__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

7mdfcdk.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

626590.jpg

555374.jpg

Oh, honey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

to be fair if you haven't copped it by the third sign the others are not going to make any difference.
    If they only had it at the first exit, then everyone from the second to last exit won't see it. Similar if it was only on the last one there people before that won't see it.

So needs to be one opposite each exit for existing drivers. And on each exit to let drivers coming up the road to know they aren't entrances.
    A better layout would be better. But don't think it's really WTF material.

626876.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not sure if this has been posted here before..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

P85HhftS.jpg

• Advertisement

Contents: "All ofs"...

evae6f4cny.jpg

Vertical Take-Off Of A Boeing 787 Dreamliner (I hope nobody's air sick...)

p45w08m724.gif

New Home wrote: »
    250lb punt gun

FYI a Punt was a type of boat. These guns were mounted on the boat for firing, not the shoulder.

800px-Side_view_of_punt_and_ducks_YORYM-S385.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its always important to aim a punt gun correctly, you dont want to hit one of the other planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

In the 1920s ducks were the size of horses.

Those things could wipe out an entire flock with a few shots!

Edit: fire one shot from a small gun to get them airbourne then blast the flock with the Punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I understand that is what they were supposed to do. A wide spread of pellets to take down as many as possible in a flock sitting on the water.
    It would probably move the boat back a metre or two as well! I wouldn't fancy being on either end of one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

1 shot.
    Good luck getting the flock to hang around while you muzzle reload :)
    Although they used to have 'fleets' of punts, so 'shots' were possible.

josip wrote: »
    1 shot.
    Yeah, that's what I meant, several Punts aimed at the flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

josip wrote: »
    1 shot.

#crossfire:eek:

• Advertisement

R.
    It would probably move the boat back a metre or two as well! I wouldn't fancy being on either end of one of them.
    It would move the boat a little bit, but inches not
    metres. The boat and gun are far heavier that the shot, plus drag from the water opposes the sudden movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

It was traditional in Wexford harbour for many years. The making of the shot is a craft in itself.
    The boat would definitely move backwards with the recoil.
    The elderly man that I spoke to stated that the most he ever got was 14 with a single shot. (Flocks could be dozens to hundreds).
    Families were fed with the ducks or some sold to butchers and funds used to feed/clothe families. Different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

3484590-e9ad26b1822a9cef474fcdb39a08dd1c.jpg

berettaman wrote: »
    It was traditional in Wexford harbour for many years. The making of the shot is a craft in itself.
    The boat would definitely move backwards with the recoil.
    The elderly man that I spoke to stated that the most he ever got was 14 with a single shot. (Flocks could be dozens to hundreds).
    Families were fed with the ducks or some sold to butchers and funds used to feed/clothe families. Different times.

In the US, they were the gun of choice when it came to shooting passenger pigeons. The birds went from the most common to extinct in about a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

New Home wrote: »
    626876.jpg

My uncle still has one on his mantle he got from an old english landowner. His style of using it was to rest it against an incline over a landing pond. He never had any cartridges for it but it was made in birr as far as i know.

Unregistered Users

BBQ utensils from amazon.de :eek:

617QjDWP5aS._AC_.jpg

81cKyQdoihS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edit: speaking about punt guns:

Fast forward to 2:50.

18dpuncpga.jpg

qikxt4twx4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

4L49LN2.jpg

Advertisement