Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

The Four Liars is getting an interior remodel at the moment, no better time to be doing it I guess. The takeaway business is still working as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭RINO87

opus wrote: »
    The Four Liars is getting an interior remodel at the moment, no better time to be doing it I guess. The takeaway business is still working as normal.

Ha ha, its quite fun picking up a takeaway from a building site alright, last time I picked up from there, the restaurant itself was upside down!! :)

It didnt matter a jot, their for was, as always absolutely savage. We cannot wait for a proper sit down in there, have never had the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see Zara in Mahon Point has been completely emptied out, I don't go in there much but saw the lights on and fittings removed over the weekend. Presume it finally fell in with the rest of the closures

• Registered Users Posts: 30,350 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I see Zara in Mahon Point has been completely emptied out, I don't go in there much but saw the lights on and fittings removed over the weekend. Presume it finally fell in with the rest of the closures

What else has closed in Mahon apart from Debenhams?

What else has closed in Mahon apart from Debenhams?

Presume he means the zara closures happening worldwide.

• Advertisement

InitialG wrote: »
    Presume he means the zara closures happening worldwide.

Yep sorry, I wasn't clear there. When Zara closed most of their stores, that one seemed to have missed the chop, but now looks as though its gone

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

Yep sorry, I wasn't clear there. When Zara closed most of theor stores, that one seemed to have missed the chop, but now looks as though its gone

I know the same company operates two units on the ground floor (Stradivarius and Bershka). I wonder will they follow a similar suit? If so, there will be very little retail offering left in Mahon Point and it's very hard to see what might replace some of these units.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Spideoige wrote: »
    I know the same company operates two units on the ground floor (Stradivarius and Bershka). I wonder will they follow a similar suit? If so, there will be very little retail offering left in Mahon Point and it's very hard to see what might replace some of these units.

It only seems a short time ago there was talk of extending mp!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

I don't think that this is a sign that any of these shops are closing. Lifestyle Sports has done the same thing with most of their retail units. It looks like they are moving their Spring stock out to sell online. If retail isn't opening for another 4-8 weeks, I'd imagine they will restock with Summer stock when they can reopen

Inditex, the owner of Zara, closed about 1200 stores worldwide but they still have around 6800 stores. A lot of these closures were smaller shops where there was a larger store nearby. They haven't announced any store closures in Ireland so far, and before the latest lockdown upsized their Pull&Bear brand on Henry Street in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Like for Zara they have been closed nearly 4 months now, no sign of reopening I believe they are clearing out the stock they have in store to try and sell it online otherwise they are sitting on last season stock for when they reopen that no one wonts .....

Zara at the end of the day is more higher end fast fashion and I think they try and get new stock into stores weekly depending on what people won’t,

Boo hoo and Penny’s are the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Aldi planning second supermarket for Cork's Skehard Road

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40256210.html

Is this an April Fools???

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Aldi planning second supermarket for Cork's Skehard Road

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40256210.html

Is this an April Fools???

Can't see anything to make it a joke and there's a few places with two aldis but where will it fit. I'm from the area only place I can see is the dog walking park

Can't see anything to make it a joke and there's a few places with two aldis but where will it fit. I'm from the area only place I can see is the dog walking park

Looks like they'll be knocking that house will they? Or is that further down the road? Can't think atm :pac:

2395043_1_articleinline_Skehard.jpg

Looks like they'll be knocking that house will they? Or is that further down the road? Can't think atm :pac:

Theres enough traffic there as it is. What is wrong with the one down near the CSO? doesnt add traffic, plenty of parking and easily accessible. Crazy...:confused:

InitialG wrote: »
    Theres enough traffic there as it is. What is wrong with the one down near the CSO? doesnt add traffic, plenty of parking and easily accessible. Crazy...:confused:

Either way:

540hco.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Sure that’s right next to the SuperValu- I thought it would be going into the old Healy blue bins site - there’s lyonshall signs all over that still.

Edited to say I only looked at the article after I posted this and they say it is next to the SuperValu, can’t see the scally’s being too happy with that. It’s a bit of an eyesore aswell. Will be interesting to see if this planning is approved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Has to be a joke, what about the house that’s in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aldi but a 2nd store in Ballincollig to stop Lidl going in there, every chance they will do the same in Skehard Road.

rob316 wrote: »
    Aldi but a 2nd store in Ballincollig to stop Lidl going in there, every chance they will do the same in Skehard Road.

Crazy considering there's a new one going in, in Douglas too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

xabi wrote: »
    Has to be a joke, what about the house that’s in the way.

It's not a joke - they've been talking about Aldi going in there for a good while now. At least I have heard about it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

The should knock Supervalu when they are at it too. That store and car park is an eyesore.

satanta99 wrote: »
    The should knock Supervalu when they are at it too. That store and car park is an eyesore.

Scallys? Very loyal customer base that they look after. Don't see anything wring with it personally

Scallys? Very loyal customer base that they look after. Don't see anything wring with it personally

Scally is a robber and gets alot of the older people due to having the post office. I see him losing lots to a Aldi right next door to him fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Scally’s SuperValu is well known for being slightly chaotic. Out of date stuff on the shelves, till mistakes , damaged goods. I don’t go there much, but the neighbours here complain about having to return food or check receipts a good bit.

Is there an Aldi going into douglas too? That’s three Aldi’s within walking distance of each other.

I heard the Pier Head on Blackrock Pier has new owners btw, with a renovation planned. I love the pier head... kinda gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted there are some new food trucks open in the area across the road from the Marina market, was in that neck of the woods yesterday & there were three going - ice-cream, burgers & coffee.

Ironically I don't jog on the pedestrianised bit of the Marina anymore as just too crowed & don't want to be annoying people with dogs/small kids.

pwurple wrote: »
    Scally’s SuperValu is well known for being slightly chaotic. Out of date stuff on the shelves, till mistakes , damaged goods. I don’t go there much, but the neighbours here complain about having to return food or check receipts a good bit.

Is there an Aldi going into douglas too? That’s three Aldi’s within walking distance of each other.

I heard the Pier Head on Blackrock Pier has new owners btw, with a renovation planned. I love the pier head... kinda gutted.

Ya pier has new people running it from June 1st. Will be much better as the current guys running it haven't a notion

Scally is a robber and gets alot of the older people due to having the post office. I see him losing lots to a Aldi right next door to him fingers crossed

I shop there occasionally and have never had an issue, prices are set by Musgrave.

I know a good few people who work there and haven't heard complaints but if you're a regular would be interested

I shop there occasionally and have never had an issue, prices are set by Musgrave.

I know a good few people who work there and haven't heard complaints but if you're a regular would be interested

I am...constant wrong prices like especially the hot food counter. Prices for rolls and hot dinners up on the screen u order n head to till and it's more. Also Musgrave's don't set prices on everything I've shopped in plenty of other super values. There franchise not Musgrave owned

I am...constant wrong prices like especially the hot food counter. Prices for rolls and hot dinners up on the screen u order n head to till and it's more. Also Musgrave's don't set prices on everything I've shopped in plenty of other super values. There franchise not Musgrave owned

They have between 5% and 13% loyalty allowance (depending on turnover) where they can source and price outside of Musgrave. The remaining 87% - 95% has to come from Musgrave as per franchise agreement and prices are drawn down on a daily basis from Musgrave.

Sad to hear of price discrepancy though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNKHSmapbDG/

This coffee crowd have set up shop out on the coastline walk down by Jacobs Island. I personally think they are talking the piss due to the clogging up of the path with customers using the path.

IMHO this path is a busy public recreational amenity and there should be some sort of public process before private enterprise can set up shop like this.

Advertisement