Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Completely forgot he'd signed for connacht!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Zzippy wrote: »
    He was sh1te. That's how. And feel free to use the match thread yourself but don't tell other posters what to do.

Is that just Covid crabbyness. Most unusual for you Zzippy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bazzo wrote: »
    SOB II available, thank the divine infant Christ.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Completely forgot he'd signed for connacht!

When did the saviour sign up? He should have played last week but I suppose as it was his birthday he was let off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Glad those on this forum accept the deity of Christ in this secular age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Glad those on this forum accept the deity of Christ in this secular age.
    When you're a Connacht supporter, you spend a lot of time praying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Any rumblings on Friend staying or going lads?

Rumour is he’s gone. Expected to join as interim HC & attack coach for the crusaders with Robertson set to join the back room staff for the lions tour... Carolan expected to be promoted to HC with Noel McNamara coming in as attack coach from leinster. Done a great job with Irish 20s & leinster a’s... news comes from McNamara’s wife’s brother on stephens day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Is that just Covid crabbyness. Most unusual for you Zzippy?

Bah, humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Rumour is he’s gone. Expected to join as interim HC & attack coach for the crusaders with Robertson set to join the back room staff for the lions tour... Carolan expected to be promoted to HC with Noel McNamara coming in as attack coach from leinster. Done a great job with Irish 20s & leinster a’s... news comes from McNamara’s wife’s brother on stephens day

That would be a disaster for Connacht if it turns out to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Friendy is an absolute gent and I'll always respect him for the clean-up he did post-Keane. If we lose him I'll be sad but also think fresh eyes could be a huge bonus at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Love friend and he’d be a huge loss. Trying to look at it positively, both Carolan and McNamara have been very impressive with Irish u20 sides in recent years. Could be an exciting duo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

If he’s only gone for a temporary job why do Connacht lose him for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    If he’s only gone for a temporary job why do Connacht lose him for good?

Not to put words in his mouth but I believe Lucas44 is suggesting that Friend will be a short term head coach and then revert to attack coach when Robertson returns from the Lions.

CONNACHT MATCHDAY 23 VS LEINSTER RUGBY
    Saturday 2nd January, RDS Arena, k/o 7.35pm

Name/Number/Caps (* denotes uncapped)
    15. John Porch (27)
    14. Peter Sullivan (5)
    13. Sammy Arnold (10)
    12. Tom Daly (34)
    11. Alex Wootton (9)
    10. Jack Carty (147)
    9. Caolin Blade (118)
    1. Denis Buckley (188)
    2. Shane Delahunt (86)
    3. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (58)
    4. Gavin Thornbury (46)
    5. Quinn Roux (104) (C)
    6. Eoghan Masterson (100)
    7. Conor Oliver (10)
    8. Sean Masterson (7)

Replacements
    16. Jonny Murphy (10)
    17. Matthew Burke (16)
    18. Conor Kenny (8)
    19. Ultan Dillane (104)
    20. Cian Prendergast (4)
    21. Kieran Marmion (173)
    22. Diarmuid Kilgallen (1)
    23. Ben O’Donnell *

Unfortunately it appears that a number of COVID cases have influenced selection for this one. Looks like another hammering sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    This could get ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Will go against the grain and say think that team despite absences should be competitive with the Leinster team named which bar the back row looks average enough by their standards, unless the debutants are superstars. 9-10 combo obviously strong but Blade Carty have put on fair performances in the RDS before too.

Benches are a different story but at least Dillane and Marmion capable of making big impact.

The Friend Zone
    Unfortunately it appears that a number of COVID cases have influenced selection for this one. Looks like another hammering sadly.

Don’t think it’s covid and more just going full straight next week against Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

Oliver so light compared to the other back-rows on both sides
    Otherwise it's Leinster A and we should hold the comparison for 9/10
    FFS we have to trust ourselves against that team...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Connacht should be at least competitive in this game, though I do expect a leinster win.
    You've the more established back line and a very decent engine room up front.

If Sexton goes down early, which is always a very real possibility.... Then we're extremely weakened with a novice to step in at 10

I'm expecting something like 25 - 15 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Don’t think it’s covid and more just going full straight next week against Munster?

It’s Covid, Connacht have confirmed number of positive tests this week. Will obviously impact Munster fixture too. Seemingly internationals can only play one inter pro so hopefully Aki is back for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

connachta wrote: »
    Oliver so light compared to the other back-rows on both sides
    Otherwise it's Leinster A and we should hold the comparison for 9/10
    FFS we have to trust ourselves against that team...
    You keep focusing on weight. If it was as big an issue as you make it out to be he wouldnt have a contract.
    Leinster have 3 second rows starting and 3 backrows on the bench which says lot about strategy for the game.

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    It’s Covid, Connacht have confirmed number of positive tests this week. Will obviously impact Munster fixture too. Seemingly internationals can only play one inter pro so hopefully Aki is back for that.

Yeah just saw the post there, no great tbh

You keep focusing on weight. If it was as big an issue as you make it out to be he wouldnt have a contract.
    Leinster have 3 second rows starting and 3 backrows on the bench which says lot about strategy for the game.

he was released by Munster because of his weight.
    because he's a good player and not more, and that because he's under 100 k

what is Leinster strategy?

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    he was released by Munster because of his weight.
    because he's a good player and not more, and that because he's under 100 k

what is Leinster strategy?

He was released from Munster because he was consistently injured and other players took their opportunities

The Friend Zone
    If friend goes, I hope to god porch still stays

He was released from Munster because he was consistently injured and other players took their opportunities

I disagree.
    He's the kind of good but not international standard released by Munster (Wootton too). And weight is a part of it
    Connacht have made a decent signing, but against this Leinster back-row, he'll struggle.
    He has to put a "Racing-like" out of his skin performance

If friend goes, I hope to god porch still stays

Even with Friend I was worried.
    The man has more Aussie future than Godwin IMO, and the latter still went back..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH

Correct. Oliver was snake bitten at Munster and needed to go elsewhere. He even missed months because he dropped a weight on his foot in a gym session. It just wasn't meant to be. He did show glimpses of talent when he managed to get a run of games.

A metric like weight to my untrained eye would seem to be a thing that you try to balance out in your pack / starting XV. There's no use having a pack that is too heavy because the opposition will run them around the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    I think that we should be more than competitive at the RDS given teams selected.
    Connacht abú.

• Advertisement

Correct. Oliver was snake bitten at Munster and needed to go elsewhere. He even missed months because he dropped a weight on his foot in a gym session. It just wasn't meant to be. He did show glimpses of talent when he managed to get a run of games.

A metric like weight to my untrained eye would seem to be a thing that you try to balance out in your pack / starting XV. There's no use having a pack that is too heavy because the opposition will run them around the field.

Three Red Kings put up a brilliant article about back row balance a few years ago that unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the internet. For me, the problem isn't Conor Oliver's lack of size per se, but that the pack selected for tomorrow completely lacks ball carriers and having an undersized 7 doesn't help with that. I think O'Brien/Oliver/Boyle is a well balanced back row that offers a diverse skill set and plenty of physicality. Masterson/Oliver/Masterson, not so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement