Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Outrageous the leader of the Dail entertaining any political interference from Arlene Foster.

Foster would claim the Dail is interfering with the northern Assembly all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I've no opinion on the offending tweet albeit the end bit a little silly. I do however have an opinion on the neck of Arlene foster writing to complain to the Ceann Comhairle, can you imagine any TD writing to the speaker of the Northern assembly complaining, the Orange order would be out marching within an hour.

But it gets worse, the Ceann Comhairle has responded rather than ignored Arlene Fosters intervention, stating the matter deserves a credible Political Response? WTF is that? Notwithstanding the fact he has no power whatsoever to sanction any TD for matters not pertaining to the functioning of the Dail.

I've a suggestion for a response, F**K right off and get your own house in order. Outrageous the leader of the Dail entertaining any political interference from Arlene Foster.

They should tell the Ceann Comhairle to **** off. He has no business passing comment.
    Stanley should have stood by his tweet and there should be no further apology. I can't count the amount of back slapping and saluting, cheesy propaganda films and bull**** speeches I've seen celebrating the BA. I don't see Stanley's tweet as any different. If anything it's regretful the campaign had to continue for as long as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I've no opinion on the offending tweet albeit the end bit a little silly. I do however have an opinion on the neck of Arlene foster writing to complain to the Ceann Comhairle, can you imagine any TD writing to the speaker of the Northern assembly complaining, the Orange order would be out marching within an hour.

But it gets worse, the Ceann Comhairle has responded rather than ignored Arlene Fosters intervention, stating the matter deserves a credible Political Response? WTF is that? Notwithstanding the fact he has no power whatsoever to sanction any TD for matters not pertaining to the functioning of the Dail.

I've a suggestion for a response, F**K right off and get your own house in order. Outrageous the leader of the Dail entertaining any political interference from Arlene Foster.
    A letter should be sent along the lines of, we expect your support for a public inquiry into the Finucane murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Does this tweet bring SF any closer to a United Ireland?

Or does it cause more division?

We all know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Unionisssts have abssssolutely nothing to fear from a Sssssshin Fein united Ireland

correct, an sf lead united ireland would be the best thing that ever happened to the unionists, as it will bring the modernisation and investment they need and want.
    britain doesn't care about them and will never invest in them, they have left them the poorist in the uk.
    Normal One wrote: »
    They'll wheel it out again at the next election, along with Paul Quinn's family. That's all they stand for.

they will but nobody apart from the die hard supporters will pay attention to it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    There was collaboration with the Germans in both world wars. Enemy of my enemy...

SF still like to portray FG as basically wartime allies of the Nazis pre war while the IRA actively collaborated with the Nazis at the time of the Holocaust.

Then I guess all religions have contradictions. SF is a cult essentially.

Does this tweet bring SF any closer to a United Ireland?

Or does it cause more division?

We all know the answer.

i would expect it makes little difference in reality.
    the majority of unionists will vote on the basis of what brings them more money in their pockets.
    loyalty to a country won't pay the bills, especially when that country has made it perfectly clear it doesn't care about the unionist community over decades.

SF still like to portray FG as basically wartime allies of the Nazis pre war while the IRA actively collaborated with the Nazis at the time of the Holocaust.

Then I guess all religions have contradictions. SF is a cult essentially.

incorrect, sf is not a cult.
    it does not meet the definition of a cult and therefore cannot be said to be one given it isn't one and doesn't meet the definition of one.

i would expect it makes little difference in reality.
    the majority of unionists will vote on the basis of what brings them more money in their pockets.
    loyalty to a country won't pay the bills, especially when that country has made it perfectly clear it doesn't care about the unionist community over decades.

You're having a laugh???

You think loyalists will vote for a UI because it might, just might bring them more money??

Have you even any small shroud of evidence to back up this claim?

How do you lads get away with such nonsensical claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

incorrect, sf is not a cult.
    it does not meet the definition of a cult and therefore cannot be said to be one given it isn't one and doesn't meet the definition of one.

https://www.thepensivequill.com/2016/10/the-church-of-sinntology.html

I do have to wonder what people who spent most of the 80's and 90's in prison for the movement make of interlopers like McDonald and student types like O'Broin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    There is no difference between the 2 actions, 50 years apart. It is utter hypocrisy to say the one in the 20s is ok, and the one in the 70s is not. Both were aimed at the British army.

So the answer is, it's politics. Both actions were long ago and of what relevance today?

I'd prefer to see our Taoiseach and Tanaiste to express their outrage at the British government for yet again failing to keep their word, have a public inquiry into the Finucane murder and blow wide open the levels of state sponsored collusion and terrorism.

The cuck-taoiseach is not going to express any outrage on the matter, not with one of the players still on the field in charge of the security of the state. Nothing will happen on this, not in my lifetime

You're having a laugh???

You think loyalists will vote for a UI because it might, just might bring them more money??

Do you think if SF never mention anything pre GFA and basically lick arse Foster etc. it will make a blind bit of difference? FF/FG only play up to them because they think it might help them score points against SF, which is all it's ever about for them. They are dishonest and not in any way genuine in the moral outrage. Loyalists, by definition, will always be loyalists. They likely got great laugh out of 'the indian' kissing their arse.

As has been said it'll fade away only to be used along with the families of any victims for point scoring and nothing more come the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

You're having a laugh???

The middle ground alliance voter, green voter etc will decide whether to stay in the UK or not. Unionists will by definition, vote to remain in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Bowie wrote: »
    Do you think if SF never mention anything pre GFA and basically lick arse Foster etc. it will make a blind bit of difference? FF/FG only play up to them because they think it might help them score points against SF, which is all it's ever about for them. They are dishonest and not in any way genuine in the moral outrage. Loyalists, by definition, will always be loyalists. They likely got great laugh out of 'the indian' kissing their arse.

As has been said it'll fade away only to be used along with the families of any victims for point scoring and nothing more come the next election.

The Indian?

That's all nice and lovely.

But addresses none of the questions I asked EOTR.

Thanks anyway.

The Indian?

He'll get away with it too.

Most of us would be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Do the Orange Order glorify murder every 12th July?

No they just scream at kids and burn the odd few alive in their beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The constitutional position of NI is changing on the 1st of January. No one wants to say it but it's true.

Who'd have thought 5 years a go we would have a UK internal border in the Irish Sea with NI in the EU single market and the UK having left.

It's the biggest change since 1921.

Goes to show change can be sudden and unexpected.

The Indian?

Quoting former senior Ulster Unionist Lord Kilclooney. Thats the respect they have for him even after he visited etc.
    He'll get away with it too.

Most of us would be banned.

You saw the quotes right?

That's all nice and lovely.

But addresses none of the questions I asked EOTR.

Thanks anyway.

You were asking did the tweet help or not. It made no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭KarlMarks

John Taylor referred to Leo Varadkar as The Indian. More nonsense here trying to suggest Republicans are racist. The Republican tradition was made up of poor catholics and protestants looking for alternatives to how miserable there lives were. A United Ireland will be delivered when the working class of all communities realise they have been made fools of by the elite.

You're having a laugh???

actual loyalists won't vote for a UI no matter what, but actual loyalists are a tiny minority now.
    loyalists would be the extreme element of unionism, ordinary unionists are just unionists and while they would prefer to be in the uk, they are open to having their minds changed.
    https://www.thepensivequill.com/2016/10/the-church-of-sinntology.html

I do have to wonder what people who spent most of the 80's and 90's in prison for the movement make of interlopers like McDonald and student types like O'Broin.

your article does not prove sf is a cult, because once again, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

SF are absolutely gas. They love this type of stuff yet would be absolutely aghast if a British/ unionist politician celebrated an event such as the Gibraltar SAS deaths or the Loughall ambush. Held parties in West Belfast when Thatcher died but are utterly disgusted when the loyalists adorn their 12th bonfires with stolen SF posters.

Either it's all acceptable or none of it is. From both sides.

I suppose you'd say the same about the Americans celebrating the killing of Bin Laden vs people celebrating 9/11 then?

The attempts at moral relativism when it comes to Northern Ireland are f*cking ridiculous. One side was fighting to maintain its dominance over the other side. They are automatically the scumbags in that equation. No other factors are relevant - fighting to maintain your coercive power over the other side makes you the bad guys, in any context or conflict. It's as simple as that.

The entire loyalist/British "cause" came about because one side didn't want to give the other equal democratic rights. How anyone can talk as if there's any equivalence is utterly beyond me. Any attacks against the British Army were fully justified in the context of an entire demographic being systematically oppressed by that army and those who backed them.

Christ, it's such a ludicrous situation. What the IRA did to civilians was atrocious and celebrating that is atrocious. Attacks against Crown forces of any kind are an entirely different kettle of fish and it's ridiculous to conflate the two. They were fair game up until the signing of the GFA, and rightly so. They were committing acts contrary to all conventions of human decency through their activities in Northern Ireland - not even because of the actions themselves, but because of the regime of oppression they sought to maintain.

It's just f*cking stupid. Would you equate pro and anti apartheid militants in the same breath as if their actions carried the same moral consequences? How about the pro and anti slavery factions in the American Civil War?

It's a painfully stupid debate. Loyalism is rooted in hatred and supremacy. F*ck 'em. You cannot equate that with people who fought to free themselves and their people from the same aforesaid hatred and supremacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭KarlMarks

They were fair game up until the signing of the GFA, and rightly so. They were committing acts contrary to all conventions of human decency through their activities in Northern Ireland - not even because of the actions themselves, but because of the regime of oppression they sought to maintain.

It's just f*cking stupid. Would you equate pro and anti apartheid militants in the same breath as if their actions carried the same moral consequences? How about the pro and anti slavery factions in the American Civil War?

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hqrry113 wrote: »
    , the Laois-Offaly TD

Do you really think the tweet was all that bad or is Michael just point scoring?
    This is an example of a man burnt and consumed by his own to passion to the point of damaging himself his career and possibly those around him.

Do i think the tweet was that bad? It doesn't matter what i think ....

It matters the tweet was so controversial that it made waves.

And for a politician to not know what he was about to say was going to be controversial might show they live in an echo chamber.

And if he did know it would be contentious or vexing he should be prepared for what comes after it.

I would like to know what exactly is the point of such rhetoric other than the slight rush of adrenaline one might get briefly by shouting 'up the ra' on the street.

Because that is exactly what behavior like this is. Seeking a short term adrenaline rush. Which is childish for a grown man.

But it seems to be a huge part of extremist politics. The alt left the alt right ..the DUP ....they a kick out of it ...the theatrics.

Its the political version of ****.

This is the polite version

We don't elect politicans to pleasure themselves by shouting up the ra on twitter....we elect them to work for us. Like actually DO REAL THINGS

It might make their 'TEAM' feel good briefly ..or them feel good briefly ...but i mean ..that isn't what they are elected to do. They are public servants. Its not WWF.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

jprender wrote: »
    Serious lack of brains.
    They can't help but succumb to temptation.

The tweet wasn't THAT bad. But ....i mean do people really vote sf in to office to rant on twitter about the brits all day?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread title fixed. Random symbols can sometimes replace punctuation if you arent using desktop / touch versions of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They should tell the Ceann Comhairle to **** off. He has no business passing comment.
    Stanley should have stood by his tweet and there should be no further apology. I can't count the amount of back slapping and saluting, cheesy propaganda films and bull**** speeches I've seen celebrating the BA. I don't see Stanley's tweet as any different. If anything it's regretful the campaign had to continue for as long as it did.

Our Ceann Comhairle is apparently "personally appalled" and believes the tweet was "disrespectful".

Pity he didn't have these feelings when he was writing a letter of reference to court for a dirty, rotten, nonce child abuser ahead of his sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This clown should not be anywhere near the PAC.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

No it wasn’t

It was stating a fact

The two ambushes were similar

That tweet was nothing out of the ordinary, no different to any second DUP tweet

British MPs regularly remember their “heroic soldiers” and say, not very nice things about the foreigners they were “civilising”

In fact, shortly after that tweet you had the
    Dee Ewe Pay whinging about government commemorations of Kilmichael,
    any statement from FF, the Republican Party on that?

MM and the Irish media will do anything to avoid questions about his spineless lack of action regarding Finucane’s murder
    I don't think our TDs should aspire to be anything like most MPs

Advertisement