Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike trailers

Options
  • 11-07-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here use a bike trailer for transporting kids? I've about a 2km commute from home to the creche, after which I'd unhitch the trailer and cycle the rest of the way to work.

Just wondering at what age are they suitable to be put in these things? I assume they don't have the same support as you'd get with car seats yeah?

Do people cycle in bus lanes with them? Only other alternatives for me is footpaths unfortunately.

https://www.aldi.ie/2-in-1-bike-trailer-%26-stroller/p/077476148141100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What's your route like? I've seen people use them in bus lanes close to me but the roads aren't crazy busy.
    I wouldn't be into someone using them on the footpath, people with regular buggies can be bad enough at controlling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Effects wrote: »
    What's your route like? I've seen people use them in bus lanes close to me but the roads aren't crazy busy.
    I wouldn't be into someone using them on the footpath, people with regular buggies can be bad enough at controlling them.
    If you know the Dublin area, in the Malahide road, from Artane to Clontarf Road Dart station. It's busy, and I can't really see a quieter route either side of the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have some experience of cycling with a child in a Chariot Cougar trailer. That one has a "hammock" available, so it can be used with a new-born. Then as they get bigger, you switch them to the standard seat. A head support is available for younger children.

It's a very well worked-out trailer, and an excellent stroller (which was what I used it mostly for), and, over seven years on, I'm still using it as a goods trailer.

422058.jpg

But it has a price to match.

Family were very unhappy with me using it with my daughter, so I ended up walking most of the time, using it as a stroller. I then ended up with two daughters, and got a bakfiets cargo bike so I could get around with both of them, which nobody seemed to find as objectionable.

I personally think that on suburban roads with no trucks, they're perfectly fine to use, but you'll probably get the stink-eye from busybodies.

doozerie has a wealth of experience of cycling with a child in a trailer, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i use a croozer for my lad, similar to tomasrojo's above but a bit cheaper. for the cheaper price it's also bulkier and could fold down better for transporting / storage. that said it has massive storage itself and like tomasrojo's it converts to a jogger or normal stroller also.

it can be used from 3 months up with the baby insert as per the chariot, we got it at 3 or 4 months. we then took that insert out at 10 months. the lad absolutely loves being in the trailer and i find you get load of space from traffic compared to cycling by yourself...i never cycle on footpaths with it.

i had also planned on doing the creche run when i got it but my creche don't have enough storage space so i bring him up on the weeride mounted above the crossbar instead.

• Advertisement

couldn't edit the above to attach the below pic of the boy trying to climb back into it on dollymount beach last weekend :D

Just getting a pixel when I click on that image. (Would like to see it!)

any chance this one works? file looks fine on my computer and works when i click it above, though that may be to do with caching? :confused:

Shedite27 wrote: »
    If you know the Dublin area, in the Malahide road, from Artane to Clontarf Road Dart station. It's busy, and I can't really see a quieter route either side of the main road.

I'd be fine cycling that route with a trailer.

I cycle down the Howth Road most mornings and always pass a women who has a trailer and child. I'm not sure of her direction once past the Clontarf Road.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Family were very unhappy with me using it with my daughter, so I ended up walking most of the time, using it as a stroller. I then ended up with two daughters, and got a bakfiets cargo bike so I could get around with both of them, which nobody seemed to find as objectionable.

Irrational fear of the child at the rear of the bike and someone hitting you from behind perhaps?

• Advertisement

any chance this one works? file looks fine on my computer and works when i click it above, though that may be to do with caching? :confused:

Bingo. Charming!

Effects wrote: »
    Irrational fear of the child at the rear of the bike and someone hitting you from behind perhaps?
    It's a pretty common fear (coupled with drivers pulling out of side roads not seeing it, trucks pulling up behind you not seeing it), based on the "so hard to see" belief that excuses all sorts of risk-taking behaviour by drivers, but it was earnestly held fear, so I just walked a lot, while still doing some cycling on quieter roads.

Certainly, in my experience of using trailers in general, they are not hard to see, and you get more room when using them. But, while I regret the amount of time I wasted not cycling, at least I was walking instead.

One thing to keep in mind with any long bike or trailer: if you're heading into a "corridor" of any sort (line of cars, for example) have a think of how you'll get out the other side. Your options for getting off the road are quite diminished, and filtering is tricky sometimes. Behaving more like a car, and queueing up more works for me.

And, as with any bike, be really, really careful going up the inside of large vehicles. I mean, really, really, etc.

This looks lie the most detailed work done on passing distances of people on bikes with child trailers and child seats.

https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/1317521086091767810
    Highlights

Drivers of motorized vehicles adapt their overtaking behaviour.

Larger and therefore safer overtaking manoeuvres in cyclists transporting a child.

In morning peak the child bike seat is the safest in terms of overtaking distance.

More than a quarter of all overtaking manoeuvres was too close (<100cm).

All pretty good news, except the last one, and pretty much my experience of using trailers and cargo bikes with children (even, to some extent, my experience of moving non-human cargo).

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This looks lie the most detailed work done on passing distances of people on bikes with child trailers and child seats.

https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/1317521086091767810

All pretty good news, except the last one, and pretty much my experience of using trailers and cargo bikes with children (even, to some extent, my experience of moving non-human cargo).

That's really interesting and good to see some more formal confirmation of what many of us have observed on an individual basis.

Reminds me of Lumen's observation that all those close passes you normally get are genuinely because the drivers don't care about you!

Advertisement