Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Did they all end up with the same station?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

By any chance was this a small red 132WW car? I had an issue on the Dublin Road yesterday opposite Lidl (within my 2km!). Have it on camera but was in two minds whether to post it here or report it. Either way this guy was a b311end. Didn't really want to take up AGS time atm.

A white 10WW, sparkly clean, a young couple out for a spin apparently as they hadn't went anywhere. Ballsy enough to face off in front of two Gardai (the driver), and the passenger was confident enough to tell the Garda the (non existent) law. I miss the days when Gardai had no time for such a lack of manners, maybe I'm getting old but a modicum of respect for the Gardai was how I was raised, even when I disagree with them. Even sadder that they just accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

CramCycle wrote: »
    A white 10WW, sparkly clean, a young couple out for a spin apparently as they hadn't went anywhere. Ballsy enough to face off in front of two Gardai (the driver), and the passenger was confident enough to tell the Garda the (non existent) law. I miss the days when Gardai had no time for such a lack of manners, maybe I'm getting old but a modicum of respect for the Gardai was how I was raised, even when I disagree with them. Even sadder that they just accepted it.

Inaction such as that festers a lack of respect.

Ireland is a land of entitlements but with entitlement comes responsiblity but Ireland only wants it one way. People take no responsiblity for anything anymore, there's someone or something else always to blame for one's one actions but yet everyone has a heightened sense of their own importance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another motorist gets themselves punished for driving in a selfish and bullying manner...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1252604522838593536?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,909 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be curious as to whether the garda would just say 'yeah i forgot to tell you, but he got done for it' or would the garda have to provide details or proof that it happened?

in short, might a garda be able to falsely tell you it was actioned, so you leave it rest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jaysus Seth :eek:, that was a bad one, I just can't imagine what was going through the head of that "motorist", driving around not just you but another car, swapping lanes on a roundabout and barging through? The mind really does boggle.

Glad to hear some sort of action happened.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Jaysus Seth :eek:,
    Sorry, should have said that it weren't me there.
    Thankfully I don't have a Cork accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i'd be curious as to whether the garda would just say 'yeah i forgot to tell you, but he got done for it' or would the garda have to provide details or proof that it happened?

in short, might a garda be able to falsely tell you it was actioned, so you leave it rest?
    I've had those doubts about some of the responses I got from the Gardai.

In the UK, the complainant gets a written response on the outcome, which is fairly sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I've had those doubts about some of the responses I got from the Gardai.

In the UK, the complainant gets a written response on the outcome, which is fairly sensible.

Possibly. Reporting close passes to Traffic Watch, they seem shocked that I am looking for a Pulse number as reference.

Gardai also end up ringing back asking me if I'd like to make a statement, or will they "ring the driver and let them know that that type of behaviour isn't on, and leave it at that"...

Possibly. Reporting close passes to Traffic Watch, they seem shocked that I am looking for a Pulse number as reference.

Gardai also end up ringing back asking me if I'd like to make a statement, or will they "ring the driver and let them know that that type of behaviour isn't on, and leave it at that"...
    Even making a statement isn't guaranteed to go anywhere. The local Inspector (IIRC) will review the statement and any footage and then make a decision on whether it should be taken further. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Had a DB beep me this morning and then go to pull in on me at a stop. Frantically pointing at the cycle lane, which I moved into later when it was clear, he went by me giving the middle finger. Reported on twitter and I will be damned, DBnews asked for details to send onto the line manager for review. Probably won't do anything but it was nice to get a response and if all he gets is a warning not to be a d1ck it will be the most proactive response from DB ever.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Had a DB beep me this morning and then go to pull in on me at a stop. Frantically pointing at the cycle lane, which I moved into later when it was clear, he went by me giving the middle finger. Reported on twitter and I will be damned, DBnews asked for details to send onto the line manager for review. Probably won't do anything but it was nice to get a response and if all he gets is a warning not to be a d1ck it will be the most proactive response from DB ever.
    Just seen your tweets - I'd report it to AGS trather than let it disappear into the information void that is a Dublin Bus investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Another motorist gets themselves punished for driving in a selfish and bullying manner...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1252604522838593536?s=19

The cynic in me wonders if it was the general f**kology of undertaking another car on the left into a roundabout and barging through to the right that landed him with the points and fine rather than the obvious (to us) endangerment of a cyclist.

In other words, if the other car hadn't been there and it was just him and a bike I'm not sure there would have been any result...

Just seen your tweets - I'd report it to AGS trather than let it disappear into the information void that is a Dublin Bus investigation.

In the current climate, not sure there is a point. I don't have the energy or want to go into a station. My experience with the Audi was enough to convince me that where I can avoid talking to people at the minute, more the better for my mental health. I have enough going on without getting annoyed at someone for saying, 'its your word against theirs, lets leave it there'.

Yeah, I've had them suggest that informal approach too. I guess they are more used to dealing with 'novice' TrafficWatch users rather than 'frequent flyers' who are making regular reports.

You'd have to wonder how rigorous they are about following up on the informal ones, if no-one is tracking these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have noticed a near return to normal service regarding close passes in the last few days on my local loop, very disappointing as it's not like these drivers have been held up anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Yeah, I've had them suggest that informal approach too. I guess they are more used to dealing with 'novice' TrafficWatch users rather than 'frequent flyers' who are making regular reports.

You'd have to wonder how rigorous they are about following up on the informal ones, if no-one is tracking these.

If it’s on PULSE then it isn’t closed until reviewed by the superintendent in the district. There is a list of ways incidents can be closed off, and informal caution as opposed to say adult caution scheme, charge, summons etc, is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

tnegun wrote: »
    Have noticed a near return to normal service regarding close passes in the last few days on my local loop, very disappointing as it's not like these drivers have been held up anywhere!

Except for perhaps an hour to get into Tesco which, ironically, people seem able to do with no fuss whatsoever

Except for perhaps an hour to get into Tesco which, ironically, people seem able to do with no fuss whatsoever

... and two meters apart ;)

... and two meters apart ;)

Actually, alot of them aren't and really don't grasp what 2 meters is.

• Advertisement

RobbieMD wrote: »
    If it’s on PULSE then it isn’t closed until reviewed by the superintendent in the district. There is a list of ways incidents can be closed off, and informal caution as opposed to say adult caution scheme, charge, summons etc, is one of them.

But still though, what's to stop a lazy cop noting 'informal caution' and simply not bothering their ass to speak to the driver.

Wouldn't it be amazing to get some data analysis of the close out rates by type and by station, to see what actually happens on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

But still though, what's to stop a lazy cop noting 'informal caution' and simply not bothering their ass to speak to the driver.

Wouldn't it be amazing to get some data analysis of the close out rates by type and by station, to see what actually happens on the ground.

Yeah I suppose they could lie and say they administered a caution and get the incident closed off on PULSE, but then they would have to lie on PULSE and that stays there for good. It’d be far easier to just phone the driver up and have a chat knowing it’s not going near a court and no written statement needs to be taken.

There was a PULSE update a few years ago so that data would be available through the Garda analysis unit. Every incident now requires a superintendent to close off every incident. Victims are informed of this by way of an automatic letter. I suppose with traffic related incidents, if you report dangerous driving, the victim is seen as the public at large and not you as an individual, as opposed to say a burglary or assault, where you are clearly the victim.

Personally I don’t agree with an informal caution and if a garda offered me one I wouldn’t accept it. Either a case can stand on its own merits and go to court or not. The difficulty is a lot of people are not willing to take the time to give a statement, if they do give one, then it’s inevitably a summons for traffic stuff, which is 6 months down the road. By that stage they’re generally not as annoyed as they were at the time of reporting it and often don’t go to court as a witness and the case is struck out. Even if there’s a conviction, then it’s generally a fine, and only around 40% of those are paid. Im sure we all saw the results of that case in Ennis Court recently.

Had a pair of mad yokes lose the plot with me a while ago presumably because I was not using the cycle lane (I was keeping a social distance from pedestrians and a cyclist in the lane!).

The driver beeped at me as she passed which the camera didn't seem to pick up.
    The passenger squaked out the window at me and opened her door slightly just as they passed.
    I caught up with them at the lights and figured I'd ask the driver WTF. However, the passenger hopped out of the car just as the lights went green.
    I don't think I got to say anything to them and moved off ahead of them.
    As they passed me the second time, the passenger can eb seen opening her door towards me again.

https://streamable.com/nnye4a

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fecking Limerick people! :D

What were they trying to do with the door, clean you out? Hope you told them they were on camera.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Hope you told them they were on camera.
    I dind't get the chance.
    As I said, I don't think I even got the usual abusive reference in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I love how the passenger jumped out of the car

Mc Love wrote: »
    Fecking Limerick people! :D

What were they trying to do with the door, clean you out? Hope you told them they were on camera.

Looks like an attempted assault at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

you were going at a fair clip there . i think you might have pulled in a bit more if you heard traffic coming up behind you. that said , traffic was very light plenty of room for them to overtake you. I wish people were more understanding of each other. bit more give and take would make life a lot easier for everybody.

you were going at a fair clip there . i think you might have pulled in a bit more if you heard traffic coming up behind you. that said , traffic was very light plenty of room for them to overtake you. I wish people were more understanding of each other. bit more give and take would make life a lot easier for everybody.

Do you move over in busy city traffic Padjo when a faster cyclist comes up behind you? You know, give and take and all that...

• Advertisement

I don't think I got to say anything to them and moved off ahead of them.
    As they passed me the second time, the passenger can eb seen opening her door towards me again.
    Looks like an attempted assault at the end.
    Yep, if she shouted it is assault whether contact is made or not and very nicely gets out of the car to make easier to identify. This I would be down to the station.
    Have you missed whats going on at the minute? There was f all traffic, easy to overtake, there was simply no need for that behaviour and Seths position was perfect and socially responsible.

Advertisement