Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭swoofer

Did you ugrade the bootlloader first as the box comes with a fortis image?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Did you ugrade the bootlloader first as the box comes with a fortis image?

no.
    didnt see anything about that .
    how is that done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭swoofer

look here but take your time. It says use a very small capacity usb stick, I think I used a bigger one.

https://www.opena.tv/tiviar-alpha-plus/37192-tiviar-alpha-plus-switch-fortis-os-enigma2.html

Once you have the bootloader installed you can then go back and load the image here.

here it is asked before

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108782393

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Success !!!
    I knew there was something missing ,
    Thanks.

used a philips 8Gb stick

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

RTE Player doesn't seem to be working in my E2i player. Any ideas what might be up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    RTE Player doesn't seem to be working in my E2i player. Any ideas what might be up?

It hasn’t worked in a long time - I suspect it is to do with their Digital Rights Management.

Just to note that E2i Player hasn’t been updated in a long time, so most of the links no longer work. In my last build I changed to e2istream, which is a fork of the original. It has more working links but it appears that some are blocked by some providers and require a VPN. (I have no knowledge of VPN’s and discussions on same are banned on this forum.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Even official RTE player apps are dodgy at best. Amazingly the ads always seem to work but not the shows :eek:
    The problem with E2iPlayer is they are chasing a moving target.

Even official RTE player apps are dodgy at best. Amazingly the ads always seem to work but not the shows :eek:
    The problem with E2iPlayer is they are chasing a moving target.

I agree with you about RTÉ Player - an absolutely appalling service.

The developer working on E2iPlayer took his work private, following some appalling online abuse. For now, at least, e2istream is regularly updated. I don’t use it much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I've noticed with the latest image that even though I have replaced CNN channel with the HD version in the Webif bouquet editor it gets overwritten with the SD version every day. It seems ABM is the culprit. Any way I can prevent this? Is there a settings file somewhere that I should edit?

peking97 wrote: »
    I've noticed with the latest image that even though I have replaced CNN channel with the HD version in the Webif bouquet editor it gets overwritten with the SD version every day. It seems ABM is the culprit. Any way I can prevent this? Is there a settings file somewhere that I should edit?

ABM will always overwrite any changes you make using the Webif Bouquet Editor. However, that doesn’t explain why CNN reverts to the SD version. I’ve just checked my own box and CNN HD is there by default.

Are you sure you didn’t change some ABM settings?

• Advertisement

Are you sure you didn’t change some ABM settings?

The only setting I intentionally changed was my local Saorview transmitter but that's not to say that I didn't change something else by mistake! I'll trawl through the settings and see if I can come up with something. Thanks.

Is CNN HD on Freesat? perhaps ABM is using the Freesat listings and thus the SD version

Is CNN HD on Freesat? perhaps ABM is using the Freesat listings and thus the SD version

I’m (mainly) using Sky channels. The problem is that ABM can be set up in many different ways. Even changing one setting can have unforeseen consequences.

@peking97 The simplest approach might be to just reflash the image and see if that works. (Looking for a changed setting is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.)

When I check in ABM the "Providers order" is as follows:-

sat_282_freesat
    sat_282_sky_uk
    terrestrial_ie_saorview_PSB1

...perhaps I should delete the freesat entry??

I would have thought the Sky settings would include anything from Freesat.
    I don't use ABM myself. I've never seen the need as it seems to cause as many problems as it cures. It's VERY RARE for a major channel to move and I can survive without the knitting channel or whatever for a day or two. :)

I would have thought the Sky settings would include anything from Freesat.
    I don't use ABM myself. I've never seen the need as it seems to cause as many problems as it cures. It's VERY RARE for a major channel to move and I can survive without the knitting channel or whatever for a day or two. :)

I don't know why you've had such problems with ABM - its very stable and EXTREMELY useful. Channels change all the time, some even change their names for Christmas! ABM handles all this, seamlessly.
    peking97 wrote: »
    When I check in ABM the "Providers order" is as follows:-

sat_282_freesat
    sat_282_sky_uk

...perhaps I should delete the freesat entry??

The Providers order, for the latest version of THIS CUSTOM BUILD, should be:

sat_282_sky_uk
    sat_282_freesat

If you are on the latest build, this means that the settings have been changed from the default. (if not, you should update.)

Enigma 2, not just ABM, is extremely configurable. However, many settings are interrelated and changing even one can have unforeseen consequences. In this particular case, removing Freesat will mean that the list of 'Main Channels' will no longer be complete. As a minimum you will lose the NI variants of ITV and BBC.

Once you start changing the ABM settings, you can easily break the entire set of Bouquets, I set up. If you want to dig a bit deeper, look at the custom mix file in the ABM directory. You can see that it depends on the specific regions I have configured. You can also customise the Bouquets, using that file.

If you are on the latest build, this means that the settings have been changed from the default. (if not, you should update.)
    Thanks for the info. Just re-flashed the latest image and all OK including CNN HD and the providers order in ABM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Possibly you had an older version of abm and is now on a later version which works ok.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Possibly you had an older version of abm and is now on a later version which works ok.

It wasn’t an issue with the ABM version, the settings were not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Folks - I'm on my 7th USB stick and still haven't managed to flash this image onto the box. Tried a couple of old 256MB sticks I previously used to flash Humax PVRs successfully, a brand new Kingston 8GB and a few unbranded sticks. No joy.

As far as I can tell I'm following the steps correctly: format stick with FAT32 (tried fomatting with Windows 10 and linux), download image, unzip, copy "tiviaraplus" folder to stick, switch box off, plug stick in (tried front & rear ports), switch box on at rear ... invariably all I get on the front display is the sequence "Booting" - "Run Alpha+" - "Boot" and then the numbers showing progress. No sign of the "PressPWR" prompt.

The box came from WOS with OpenATV 6.1 and is otherwise working fine. I can see under Setup > Software Management an option called "Flash online/local" that supposedly lets you flash from a local folder, and it can see the stick that is plugged in, and the tiviaraplus folder. Should I try that option or persevere with more USB sticks?

• Advertisement

Check if the drive is GPT or MBR. MBR usually works better.

Check if the drive is GPT or MBR. MBR usually works better.

Checked a few of the sticks: all MBR.

I'm rusty on this. What software is on your box at the moment? :edit: OpenATV. Yeah hook the box up by Ethernet, drag the image archive across via Samba and do the "Flash on the fly".....

Have you seen this thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111187518&postcount=665

Specifically half way down where he says he couldn't flash using USB. It refers to an older image but the gist of it should be relevant.

The image is now based on OpenATV 6.2, as I had ongoing stability issues with v6.3, which I believe were due to CrossEPG and ABM. I couldn't get this image to load from usb. Instead I had to load it to TIVIARAPLUS-Harddisk-images.
    If using windows you can do this using simple drag and drop.

490042.jpg

490043.jpg

I remember this post helping me too:
    Yes, very - see instructions here.
    Note: for these instructions you must use one of the older images - e.g. "generic _image_with_auto_update_Jan_01_2019".

You can then update to the latest version, see here.

Once you have updated the software, setting up is no more difficult than setting up a Freesat or Saorview box, see here.

So maybe use your USB to flash one of NewClareMan's older images (which do flash via usb). Hook your box up to an Ethernet cable. Drag and drop the newest image on to the box and then update through the "flash on the fly" thing.

Think that's how I got sorted in the end (my memory is bad).

Thanks for the pointers. I'll spend a bit more time on it and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

MrSkinny wrote: »

Sorry, I dont have time to find the exact post for you. Your post could have been written by me a year ago.

But the issue does not sound like its USB related. The install instructions are from a specific software install. If you bought the box elsewhere it might not be on the same software.

Anaki r2d2 wrote: »
    Sorry, I dont have time to find the exact post for you. Your post could have been written by me a year ago.

But the issue does not sound like its USB related. The install instructions are from a specific software install. If you bought the box elsewhere it might not be on the same software.
    the instructions assume you bought the box with a specific build of software....but then tell you you how to resolve. The info is all in this post

Search for how to convert from fortis to enigma

No need to search - the instructions are in the link in the first post :)

The box came from WOS with OpenATV 6.1 and is otherwise working fine.

???

• Advertisement

The box came from WOS with OpenATV 6.1 and is otherwise working fine. I can see under Setup > Software Management an option called "Flash online/local" that supposedly lets you flash from a local folder, and it can see the stick that is plugged in, and the tiviaraplus folder. Should I try that option or persevere with more USB sticks?

If you can see the stick that is plugged in try and flash using that method. It is not something I have used so you might let us know how you get on.

Advertisement