Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done A, great to see you PB!! In nice shape heading to Waterford for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Savage stuff on marathon legs. Congrats on the PB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just seen something that I thought was worth sharing.

There is a Strava segment on the finishing straight at Raheny 5 - shows as 0.06m on Strava.

Last year I ran it in 21 seconds.
    This year I ran it in 16 seconds.

So in the space of what, 100meters - you can gain/lose 5 seconds.

I recall a race in Bohermeen a few years ago - I was neck and next with a Bros P runner just before the turn for the track and ended up beating him by 7 seconds.

** If you can find the sprint (& you can) - those few seconds can be a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Super running in Raheny A! Congratulations on the PB

Monday: Day after a race - nothing better than a 17 miler.............

With 2 races in 2 weeks, I couldn't let the long run suffer - so done it on very tired legs.
    1st 8.5m downhill - 2nd 8.5m up from the Quays to home.
    Pace was surprisingly good - felt tired but strong.

17m @7.55 pace

Tuesday: Recovery - a proper recovery - with some light strides to freshen up the legs.
    4.5m @8.50 pace

Wednesday: Session - the old reliable - 4x200/2x400/800/2x400/4x200 - aim was to inject some speed into the legs.

I don't think I've ever ran these in the correct way i.e. the 800 needs to be the fastest - with the rest being 'controlled'.

1st set of 200's in 40-41 seconds - so this was ok.
    the 2x400 were 83 / 80
    800 in 2.38 - 5.18 pace
    2x400: 79/80 : too fast
    4x200: 40/36/37/33

On the last 200 I really opened up the legs and pumped the arms - it felt very 'free' - like I was holding something back earlier, my knee lift felt higher too. Must try to replicate this again as I felt my 'form' was the big change.
    During this short rep, I can recall thinking - I must note this on Boards :):)

7m total.

Thursday: 5.7m - 8.33 pace down the PP - very windy, was going to do a few more miles, but thought I had enough done and the breeze was a pain!

Friday: Day off - no running today.

257 miles for the month - Highest mileage month since March last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

With 2 races in 2 weeks, I couldn't let the long run suffer - so done it on very tired legs. 1st 8.5m downhill - 2nd 8.5m up from the Quays to home. Pace was surprisingly good - felt tired but strong.

I think structuring the training in a way where you have a long run the day after a race isn't necessarily a bad thing from time to time. I'll certainly be taking that approach with my upcoming 10k assuming the legs can manage it the day after

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

On the last 200 I really opened up the legs and pumped the arms - it felt very 'free' - like I was holding something back earlier, my knee lift felt higher too. Must try to replicate this again as I felt my 'form' was the big change.

That's called sprinting! That lovely free/flying feeling is why we track fairies love it so much.

John Tracey / Dungarvan 10m

Preamble: This race wasn't as built up in my head as last weeks - in fact, it was more of a nuisance. I had zero stress/apprehension about it, probably 'cos the weather would be $hit anyway. And anyway - everyone knew it was a harder course than the easy Trim 10m ;)

A difficult nights sleep with Wifey coming home at 3am and Daughter#1 getting up for work at 5am meant sleep wasn't as good - but I knew that prior - so was ready for it.
    Up at 7'ish - Breakfast was Porridge followed by coffee- followed by toast - followed by coffee - followed by the Bathroon :) Success.

Made it to Dungarvan in about 2hr 20min - inc a pit stop for more coffee and a danish and a loo break.
    Found parking about 0.5m from the HQ and done a 2m warm up with some strides - into the pen about 15 mins to go and done some stretching. A hello to Adrian and a couple of former clubmates (Yes - I'm currently unattached) and we settle in.

Amble: As I was in the start pen, I seen a familiar face FQ - I formally of these parts who was pacing 60 mins - they hadn't advertised this, so it threw my race plan out the window about 1 min from the start!!

My original plan was to run my own race according to the wind - and hope to run a faster 2nd half - when the pacer showed up - I decided to follow him as I was sure he would have a pack with him.

We set off - a lap of the town to start. I recall feeling my lace was opened, but it was just lose, memories of my last time running here 6 years ago (also in prep for manchester) - when my lace opened.
    The impact of having a pacer, meant I hardly looked at my watch - I just followed him. (timings from this race are from my Strava after the fact unless stated)

Mile 1: Lap of the town - felt a bit quick - 5.56

Mile 2: A bit uphill feeling here - the pace was 5.57 but felt harder - my 1st thoughts of not running with the pacer and letting him go - thought about dropping back - but didn't.

Mile 3: was on a dirt road - lots of potholes and dirt - breeze to the side - so pacer FQ upped the pace a tad and kept us going with him - still a great group with him.
    5.51 - I was surprised he ran this quick but some of it was downhill.

Mile 4 & 5: we turned into the wind - this part I was prepared for - I was at the very back of the pack behind the biggest guys I could find.
    Pace was lighter but the effort remained hard - this also had an uphill portion to it. I recall looking at the watch here and seeing a sub 6 time - I wasn't sure how many seconds we were up or down. 2 miles into the headwind had taken its toll as the group had split up terribly.
    5.57 / 6.02

Mile 6. After mile 5 we turned - I expected the wind to cal down as it seemed like it was in our face since the start - but it was still a cross wind and a factor - a dowhnill here was very helpful to recover.
    I recall turning a corner at 6.7m and the wind receding immediately - the conversation behind startedup and everyone felt in great spirits - gave us all a great lift.
    M6: 5.55

Mile 7: I knew mile 7 was a severe downhill - so I used this to recover - relaxing the arms/hands
    I recall as I approached mile 7 there was a lady calling out the time - 41.45 - this confused me slightly as I was thinking of Marathon paced terms 3 miles at 6.30= 19.30 left - so I was way behind - only after a few seconds did I realise I was within target and was 15 seconds up.

Mile 8: keep it going - I found myself right up at the pacer, I didn't look behind to see how many were there, it didn't seem like loads. But we kept going.
    5.52 was a great return here as I was starting to suffer. 2 miles left I was saying. I could run 2 6.10's and still get sub 60 - this was a good relief to me knowing this.

Mile 9: We went uphill for a bit and onto the main road - this was it - keep with it - dont lag I was saying - I was on Franks shoulder at this stage. The breeze was non dis-crept here so I reckon it was behind me - but I didn't feel it. This mile was definitely uphill.
    5.58 and fading

Mile 10: We ventured left and I felt the wind crop up again.
    There was a clock at the 9 mile sign reading 53.30 - so I knew I could run the last mile at 6:30 pace and still get sub 60. I felt a massive relief here - until I noticed the pace drop off substantially as I was going uphill - my left quad was shouting at me at this stage - my Christ - come on - the last mile and I'm suffering - I look at the watch - the pacer has gone behind me to pick up others - its 6.10 for 'current lap' - moving to 6.15......6.17........ $hit - I could F$ck this up in the last mile I was thinking.
    I pushed harder, it felt terrible - my quad was suffering - not screaming at me, but suffering- We seemed to crest a hill and then go down hill - I seen the time come back to me - 6.17 for mile 10..............6.10................6.05...............

before I knew it I was back on the open road about 400m from the finish line - I opened up a little and went for it as we turned the corner - I could see the clock. I could not believe it - I still cant.
    5.50 for mile 10

Crossed the line at 59.27. 99th position and a 100 second PB!!

I NEVER thought I would break sub 60 for 10 miles. Never.
    I thought I could go close, but I thought age would catch up with me and leave me short.

Delighted to earn this time - I texted my family saying that this was my best ever running performance - and I stand by that.

Post Amble: Funny Story:

I jogged back to the Sport Center - HQ - to get my top and a cup of coffee an a sambo - as I approached, a guy asked my was I the first.
    I said yes - not understanding as no one was behind me.

I went to the loo and then went into the hall - to a round of applause from the volunteers there!! They thought I was the winner :):)
    I was a tad embarrassed and said no - I just won the race for the sambo's - jaysus - Morto!!

I had a big smile on my face all the way home - its a long drive but oh so worth it when things go right and when Spurs beat Man City on the radio and I was home for 2nd half. A great weekend.!!

Did I ever mention the day I went sub 60???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Haha great stuff man and well deserved. Great run in very tricky conditions. That watch is a curse for you. If only we could get you to ignore it more often. Haha. Well done. Sub 60 is a massive milestone. Hope you're celebrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats on sub60!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Brilliant race, time & report!

Super well done on the PB - I'm sure you're still beaming today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Super run Alan. Going from strength to strength. Interesting about the pace group and the last minute change of plan working in your favour. Similar story with my first sub 3 in Limerick, after blowing up in the uber-planned Rotterdam marathon, I just went out with the pacer and paid no attention to the watch. Do you reckon Manchester will put on a 2:50 pacer for us? ;) Now that you're the Dungarvan 10 Mile champion, you could have a word with the organisers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Loved reading that A and I'm delighted for you on that massive performance and matching result! Out of interest how much difference do you think running with the pacer/group made?

ariana` wrote: »
    Loved reading that A and I'm delighted for you on that massive performance and matching result! Out of interest how much difference do you think running with the pacer/group made?

I meant to include a bit in the report on this - so thanks for the reminder.

There was a stage in the race I was really struggling in the group, about 4 miles in - it was a bit into the wind and uphill.
    But I was more so struggling with the concept of being in a tight group - normally you'd move from group to group or get a bit isolated from time to time - but being in a group like this was really getting to me - I recall it also from a marathon I done in San Seb when I went with the pace group but left them after a while.

In this case (Dungarvan) - I was trying to re-frame it in my mind - to see it as a positive thing otherwise I'd have felt more comfortable out of the group and would probably have left the group.
    So I began to think about the later miles, possibly struggling on my own vrs the security of the group. I noted the positives of being in the group due to the wind etc........

So once I became comfortable in the pace group - it was a saving grace, and I started to enjoy it - especially in the later stages when we were helping each other - encouraging etc.

Don't think I'd have broken 60 without it - I had my excuses with the breeze already at the start :)

Great report and fantastic race. Delighted you went sub 60 that's a massive milestone for any runner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Delighted for you Alan, it's a real landmark time to chalk off. Very well done and deserved, it didnt come for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Smashing run man, pushed through when it got tough, and as the rest have said that sub 60 is something that people dream about, yourself included from what I've read. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Super run man fair play.

I know there is a bit of talk of pacers but in this incidence I think the main benefit was that it helped you get out of your own head. Our minds will always take a self preservation angle to everything we do so half the battle is not the physical benefits but just managing to turn off the noggin somewhat.

Even where no pacers going forward it is a great tool to be able to use in a race and just trust the training.

Delighted for you and a great week to reward your good work.

A few meandering thoughts;

Sundays race:
    you know the one where I broke 60 :)
    My 2 5 mile splits were 29.46 & 29:31
    The 1st 10k was 37.03 (theres a Strava segment)
    My Garmin tells me that during the race I ran a 36.47 10k. (PB is 36.09)

Marathon Pace:
    JD Calculator tells me my time equates to a 2.45 marathon!!
    McMillan gives something more conservative.
    Marathon Pace will be 6.25/mile

Bohermeen:
    Not racing it - I'll do it as part of an 18m MP session.

Longest Run prior to Manchester.
    Plan has a 26m easy run in it :o

Max mileage:
    Will touch 80m with the next 7 weeks over 70m.

Cramp Plan:
    * Regular 200's / Hill sprints as per Ritz.
    * Pilates class weekly. - Supplemented with home Yoga.
    * S&C sessions to strengthen the Hammy & hip flexor. (SLD's / Physio ball / Donkey kicks with Hammy activated
    * Will get regular massage in next 9 weeks - supplemented with foam rolling - contemplating buying one of those 'power' massage thingies.
    * Spoke to Sean Hehir on cramping - in the past I've taken 1 or 2 salt tabs prior to a Marathon - he takes at least 4 prior to the race.
    * Bought some Precision Hydration electrolytes - these have a lot of sodium in them - will take these regularly in the build up.
    * I've bought some anti cramp shot that I'll carry with me should I spasm - this shocks the neurological system.

9 weeks training to go inc a 10 day taper this time.

A - I got one of them massage guns and find it great for the hammys/quads and calf's in particular, I bought one on Amazon for about 70 quid (through prime for ease of returns if anything did go wrong) and delivery in two days.

• Advertisement

Marathon Pace:
    JD Calculator tells me my time equates to a 2.45 marathon!!
    McMillan gives something more conservative.
    Marathon Pace will be 6.25/mile
    What about here?

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/10/running_calculator_introducing_slate_s_marathon_time_predictor_a_better.html?via=gdpr-consent

Dont like that one Sean!! - 2.52!!

I put in last years 10m and 5m times prior to running 2.52 in Rotterdam and I get 2.56.

Damo - which Model did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Longest Run prior to Manchester.
    Plan has a 26m easy run in it

Out of interest will this be the furthest you've gone in a training run yet?

Not as flashy as some of them with digital screens, but it has a couple of attachments and a carry bag, 3 speed settings on it too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TKV21XZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Dont like that one Sean!! - 2.52!!

I put in last years 10m and 5m times prior to running 2.52 in Rotterdam and I get 2.56.

The results from the Slate predictor were a good bit out for me too. Runners World was fairly accurate.

Looking forward to following you in Manchester Alan. You're going very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great report AK. Well done on a massive pb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant run Alan; massive achievement to break the 60 minute mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Did I ever mention the day I went sub 60???

Catching up... super stuff. Delighted for you! It sounded like a tough enough day in the wind, but you had more than enough to deal with that and get well under. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Rarely post outside of my own log any more. But had to jump in here to say wow well done. That is such a milestone to tick off. Great running and I enjoyed the straight to the point report. Really pleased for you.

(that 26M training run, it's going to be just a little bit longer right?)

• Advertisement

Thanks folks - I cant use the 'Quote' to reply function in work.........

Ariana & OFAR: yep - I've went 24m in training runs, never 26. And I might just keep it to 26 to mess with peoples OCD :)

Advertisement