Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prescription glasses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

FFS its typical,
    I order my first ever glasses online yesterday and today i get this frikking email:
    56% OFF

sitewide on entire order

(Frame & Lenses)

Coupon Code: SPECS56

Hopefully useful to someone!!

Terms:

- Discount applicable on all home-branded frames

- Not applicable on Designer collection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thank you.
    You saved me almost 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Does anyone know how to get your prescription info without too much hassle? Have heard a lot of stories about Opticians not taking too kindly to giving out the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Simply point out to them that you've paid for an eye test, and they are obliged to give it to you.

The sales staff may try to make you feel awkward or penny-pinching to discourage people from asking because they're aware that people then go off and order the things online, but they have to provide it. Sometimes I find they omit the pupillary distance, out of spite or something I guess, but it's very easy to measure that yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Asmodean wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get your prescription info without too much hassle? Have heard a lot of stories about Opticians not taking too kindly to giving out the details.

Free in specsavers, and I've never had anyone question it, or make it in the least bit difficult, just ask them to put the PD on it because they won't otherwise.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

I had to be quite insistent with the snooty harridan that runs our local Specsavers. She even told me that PD "wasn't part of the eye exam". But hopefully they're not all like that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

just ask them to put the PD on it because they won't otherwise.

Just in going to do the same.... Just curious.... What's the PD?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Vision Express hand you your prescription after your eye-test .

Pupillary distance. The distance between the centres of your eyes. It's not an ocular measurement as such but v. important to the fit of your glasses, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I find with goggles4u that often the glasses dont fit properly when you get them, even after providing the correct measurements. However, as they are so cheap, I would normally get a few different pairs and wear the best fitting one while keeping the rest as spares or for around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

I find with goggles4u that often the glasses dont fit properly when you get them, even after providing the correct measurements. However, as they are so cheap, I would normally get a few different pairs and wear the best fitting one while keeping the rest as spares or for around the house.

Was looking at this and not sure about the fitting as it just says 'Large' whatever that translates as

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Asmodean wrote: »

Just say you are going travelling and need it in case you break your glasses.

Was looking at this and not sure about the fitting as it just says 'Large' whatever that translates as

click on description, it will offer more info,

still awaiting my order, Ill report back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

OmegaGene wrote: »
    No need for that, they have to give it to you now

There was consternation in my local opticians, part of a major chain, when I asked for the PD to be included. This was before I bought anything. Big chat between salesperson and manager, for at least 10 minutes. They told me, very sourly, that it would be included in the prescription. It took two further visits before the prescription was posted, without the PD information.

When I collected my glasses the salesperson told me she wasn’t allowed to give me the label that came with the packaging. (She actually threw it in the bin.) I just requested a copy online, of all information they held on me, as a GDPR request. Got a scanned copy of all my prescriptions, including my previous ones, by email. This included frame sizes, lens sizes, everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Are they still obliged to give you your prescription if you go with free prsi exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I have used Zenni for years, takes about 3 weeks to be delivered, but excellent.

I got a free eye test in the national optometry centre (either for contacts or glasses). They give you your prescription afterward.

https://www.dit.ie/national-optometry-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

I have used Zenni for years, takes about 3 weeks to be delivered, but excellent.

I got a free eye test in the national optometry centre (either for contacts or glasses). They give you your prescription afterward.

Are their eye tests free to everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭in2dark

munster87 wrote: »

Thanks Johnny for the info, didnt know...

If you would like to make an appointment, please contact reception on +353 (0) 1 402 4900. Or if you have queries on our facility please contact us.

Phone: +353 (0) 1 402 4900
    Our student clinics are free of charge and include a 10% discount on spectacles purchased at the clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

OmegaGene wrote: »
    they dont like giving it out as they know you are going online to get them cheaper, just demand it and kick up a stink if not
    specsavers declined my wifes request so i went in and demanded it and refused to leave until i got what she paid for

It was even worse than that - we both 5 pairs of glasses between us, for the guts of €1000. When they finally, after 2 visits, posted out the prescription it was incorrect. From now on I’ll visit them for the eye test, only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

munster87 wrote: »

Yes, but you generally need to book well in advance and its depends on term times etc. Ultimately though, they have some of the best technology (as its a teaching centre) at their disposal. Its very thorough, takes like 90 minutes I think. You have to book separately for both Glasses and Contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

its your medical information and you are entitled to it. I asked the optician in specsavers to write out my prescription while I was in their office. No problems

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tried getting it from Vision express today. They printed it out for me but wouldn't include the pupil distance. Apparently that's a "dispensing thing" and separate to the eye test. "But don't worry, any glasses you order from us will be perfectly measured".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is there dit centre in Limerick or nearby Limerick please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

As far as I know, under GDPR all the information they hold about you is your information and you are legally entitled to it, so they can't refuse it in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Luke2513

Stark wrote: »
    Tried getting it from Vision express today. They printed it out for me but wouldn't include the pupil distance. Apparently that's a "dispensing thing" and separate to the eye test. "But don't worry, any glasses you order from us will be perfectly measured".

That’s correct, the PD is only taken accurately when the dispense of glasses is being done and is not part of the sight test done by the optician. It’s easy enough to do at home with a ruler though.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Got my prescription from specsavers it has two lines
    +0.75/-1.50 X10
    +1.25/-2.25X25
    Now when I go online they ask for all kinds of stuff... I suppose if someone could translate the above or is this all I need please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Got my prescription from specsavers it has two lines
    +0.75/-1.50 X10
    +1.25/-2.25X25
    Now when I go online they ask for all kinds of stuff... I suppose if someone could translate the above or is this all I need please

All you do is scan the document or take a pic if it with your phone and send it to the glasses retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Not sure whether this is a bargain alert thread anymore or get your eyes tested alert.

Either way,
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/levis-prescription-glasses-20-styles-to-choose-now-17-delivered-with-code-at-speckyfoureyes-3332165

Prescription Levi's for £17, ain't bad

my glasses arrived today, they will be a handy pair to leave at my desk, I wont be going outside with them, they feel cheap and plastic.

then again you get what you pay for,

6/10

• Advertisement

Mine too. Very light indeed, and although they're supposedly metal frames the bridge is made of a flexible plastic which can't be 'coaxed' into a slightly more downward bend (as I would like to because of the shape of my face). This feels like it would snap very easily under any pressure.

But hey, I needed a backup pair and for the price, a steal. With my (varifocal) prescription even the cheapest Specsavers pair would have cost me over €100; these were half that. Thanks OP.

Advertisement