Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cut for burgers

Options
  • 02-08-2019 3:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What cut of beef do people recommend for making burgers from scratch (from mincing on)?

I always see references to chuck on American sites but there doesn’t quite seem to be the same cut here as it covers some of the neck & some of the rib.

Comments

Shin beef can be good- essentially you're looking for a ratio of 80:20 meet to fat. If you opt for including 10% pork then 70-20-10 is your ratio.

After that, it's how much per burger is your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I sometimes put finely chopped smoked rashers with fat into the meat, especially if 4-10% fat mince

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

flogen wrote: »
    What cut of beef do people recommend for making burgers from scratch (from mincing on)?

I always see references to chuck on American sites but there doesn’t quite seem to be the same cut here as it covers some of the neck & some of the rib.

Chuck is Rib steak, your butcher will know what you're looking for if you ask. It's personally my favourite cut for burgers, has just the right fat to lean ratio. You need a bit of fat in your burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Chuck is Rib steak,

Chuck is shoulder, behind the neck (sometimes including it) and in front of the rib above the brisket.

Usually about a 20% fat content. I've minced chuck with short ribs and its pretty tasty. Aim for a total fat content of about 30%. Short ribs are about 30% fat.

This mix turned out lovely.

1447801.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks all - I'm now better prepared for my trip to the butcher!

• Advertisement
Advertisement