Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

But you'll have the exact same problem because the point at which he'd normally hit the forearm is the point at which he'll shape himself perfectly to take the RKO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

What I hate the most is when a guy goes up to the top turnbuckle, who very rarely if ever does so, and it's so obvious they're just setting up for a mid-air RKO. I remember Jericho doing that once where he came off the turnbuckle with his hands outstretched. I remember thinking, "what am I as a fan supposed to have expected him to be trying there?" It just looked so phoney and fake. That's why I can accept and enjoy it with AJ because the forearm off the rope is such a recognisable part of his arsenal.

The good ones are good, like the Evan Bourne one and the Seth one

Ones like the Christian one at Summerslam into the steel steps are awful though, in that if he didn't get RKO'd he was gonna faceplant the steps

I get what ya mean about AJ getting caught, and AJ is also really good at taking a move out the air, I think I saw it on reddit a couple days ago where when he was doing the forearm into the spear with Reigns, and AJ moved through the air like he was gonna hit the forearm, rather than jumping into the spear like a lot would have and it's why when he does get caught at some stage it will be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

AJ has that particular trick scouted...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rowan pinning Mustafa Ali clean bothered me more watching it than it did when I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Monokne wrote: »
    But you'll have the exact same problem because the point at which he'd normally hit the forearm is the point at which he'll shape himself perfectly to take the RKO.

It should look seamless with AJ providing he adjusts slightly by keeping his left arm lower by his side than normal.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

So Kofi is surely winning his gauntlet match tonight but the big question is how?

Clean win or distractions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

CastorTroy wrote: »

Thats insane! On a sidenote Have ye seen, the rascals in action, they are very enjoyable to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

decent promo by the miz there

what now for cena at mania ?

rey vs joe at mania and i wonder will joe get physical with dominic who is not so small nowadays

• Advertisement

how will Kofi get through this now ???

Rowen actually ended up giving kofi the advantage by eliminating himself

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I’m sick of this bollocks with Kofi now

enjoyed that match and how are they going to get him into the match now ??

battle royal for the mania number 1 contender and Kofi wins it ??

Vince could easily be seen as borderline racist :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

They are really sucking the momentum out of almost every single storyline leading to mania with this sorta craic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

They are really sucking the momentum out of almost every single storyline leading to mania with this sorta craic

Yep first Becky and now this. And they’re both similar storylines as it was.

They should have ended smackdown with Kofi winning and celebrating.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

They also missed a trick by instead of having Daniel Bryan be the surprise entrant Vince should have booked Big E and Woods to fight Kofi in a handicap match and if Big E and Woods lose they’re fired.

It would really but some substance behind the gauntlet and keep Bryan and Kofi apart until Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Poor enough smackdown the promos and matches were boring and the gauntlet match wasn't up to much either even Bryan coming out at the end was meh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wrestlemania really is just becoming another bog standard WWE PPV tbh. They've totally and utterly ballsed up this year's show with their sh1te booking and nonsensical storylines.

From Batista and Triple H shouting at each other like two children fighting over a toy, to their utter mishandling of the Becky/Ronda/Charlotte story, to Kurt facing Baron fcuking Corbin, to this mess they've now created over Kofi.

It's all getting a bit much in honesty, makes me want to completely tune out. I'll struggle through to Mania I guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

More odds to overcome for Kofi

Whats the point in winning without overcoming lots of pointless obstacles

• Registered Users Posts: 36,103 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the issue with the KofiMania thing is timing. they have no idea how to time anything anymore.

Pro Wrestling 101 dictates that you want to give the crowd what they want at the peak of their interest, and at the apex of the emotion of the storyline. you want the biggest reaction possible.

but this fúcking company is obsessed with getting heat on heels. that's all they know how to do. they literally - and many of us have said this for the longest time now - have no clue how to book a babyface. if they happen to get a babyface over, it's by fúcking accident. just look at Bryan's WM30 run - 6 months too late, and it's only because he is so damn good, that they managed to get away with something where the payoff should've been months earlier.

look at the Summer of Punk. no clue what they're doing. instead of just going with it, they had to get heel heat on HHH, and the story was dead.

look at Roman Reigns when he was facing Brock at Wrestlemania for the first time, when Seth ultimately cashed in. in the run-up, even he was fúcking losing matches.

look at Bryan on his return to action after thinking he might never wrestle again. in the Wrestlemania match itself, they have him knocked out of the match near the start, because all WWE knows how to fúcking do is get more heat. and so, the match died. he then goes on to lose as much as he wins, and is only somewhat resurrected now.

they have no clue how to book a fúcking babyface, and they're now doing their damndest to fúck up KofiMania because they are obsessed with putting heat on Vince and Bryan. last night should've been the apex of the story. it should've been the moment Kofi finally get his shot, but instead, they choose to deflate the crowd once more. there's a fine line between coaxing the audience along and just píssing them off by never actually giving the audience feel good moments to feed off and build on. and WWE have no idea where that line is.

fúcking morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

As somone mentioned earlier, I too am bored with the Kofi thing. I was hoping he would lose by the 3rd/4th match out of 5, just because it would be unexpected. Not that I dont like the chap, I do, he just doesnt scream 'wwe champion' to me. Would have rathered Big E get the push out of the new day.

The raw womens match is also floundering. I know Charlotte and Becky are smackdown stars, but if they're fighting for the raw belt, then move them over during the build up. Why waste 15 mins screen time building up the raw womens belt on a smackdown show when they could be promoting whoever is the smackdown womens champion.? I've seen more Brock since the rumble than I have Asuka.

I think we might all be a bit too cynical, or FICKLE!, on here.

Crowds are going crazy for Kofi and even though the women's feud has cooled a little and they are running out of stuff to do, Becky got big chants again last night. Ric says they don't know how to book faces but if Kofi and/or Becky win at Mania, the place will erupt. I think that's a good sign of them getting things right. The Authority stuff is extremely overused but when it works, it works well. Working for Kofi, it didn't for Becky.

Does Asuka even have an opponent for Mania yet? Why is she being ignored?

And what you didn't see during the Kofi match was the hundreds of people watching from the left hand side of the tv. :)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Does Asuka even have an opponent for Mania yet? Why is she being ignored?

And what you didn't see during the Kofi match was the hundreds of people watching from the left hand side of the tv. :)

They announced a fatal four way for next week between Mandy/Sonya/Naomi/Carmella to determine her opponent. The story isn't even about Asuka, it'll probably continue the Mandy/Sonya break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,103 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

J. Marston wrote: »
    Becky got big chants again last night. Ric says they don't know how to book faces but if Kofi and/or Becky win at Mania, the place will erupt. I think that's a good sign of them getting things right. The Authority stuff is extremely overused but when it works, it works well. Working for Kofi, it didn't for Becky.

I'm willing to be swayed on Kofi as I still think the public are hot for him, and the booking has been super up until last night IMO. my commentary is more on the fact that I think they've missed a trick by deflating the public yet again, rather than guaranteeing him the shot, and then maybe having odds stacked against him in the lead up to the match. i just believe you're unnecessarily risking the crowd getting sick of it because of the company's obsession with heel heat.

on Becky, do you think the crowd still being into her on any level has anything to do with the booking? it's despite it IMO. the cripple gimmick and the loss to Charlotte at Fastlane aren't what any sane company would do with a top babyface and expect them to stay over.

At least she got rid of the crutch.

Wonder who will go too SD after mania ???

Really needs guys like Finn, Drew, Ricochet etc

Can see Styles going too Raw along with Bryan, Rey and Mustafa Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Roman will be on smackdown for the fox beginning along with aj as the biggest stars

Orton goes to raw to feud with Rollins

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't mind the Kofi story, cause I can accept they are trying to tell a story, even if it's not amazing writing.

If they gave us the confirmation that Kofi vs Bryan was happening last week, we'd get three weeks of lazy, generic promos and cliched angles. My hope is that last night was because they have a greater story to tell.

In particular, I'd imagine the story will be the faces rally together next week to support Kofi's title shot. During the gauntlet, they made a big deal over the ever increasing size of the crowd backstage cheering Kofi on (I loved that Usos were there from the beginning though). I'd presume they'll run some sort of story next week where the faces group up and demand Vince gives Kofi the shot. Maybe even have Vince book some sort of match to find a challanger for Bryan, and the faces band together to make sure Kofi gets the shot he deserves. I think there's likely to be some sort of resolution to where Kofi finally snaps at Vince, kicks his head off and that, in the process, he earns Vince's respect too.

While it's rough, I feel they want Kofi earning the shot to be the story. Not a story that Kofi has the shot, and now we've got a generic "Challange pins champ" story. Now, it's the usual issue they are overbooking the story, sure. But it is an attempt to actually tell a different story, which I will happily see them do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Felt like a week too far for me. Story has peaked and we're past that point now. Everyone knows where we're going, let's just get there.

Advertisement