Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

turbbo wrote: »
    Dire? Hardly? He will get it in the near future - just because he hasn't got a date doesn't mean that it's not going to happen.
    My point is still valid - all the complaining in the world on these boards will not speed it up for me or Andy.

If the cabling and dp's weren't up I'd say yes they are just behind time but cabling and dp's up and nothing happening for 6 months, I'd be worried if it was me. I could be wrong, maybe some of the knowledgeable ones on here will give their views on it. I don't think anyone is complaining, but people would be forgiven for feeling apprehensive I've been apprehensive for the last few years waiting on FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Ok thought you said you had fttc in an earlier post(there are many of them).
    Either way we get it - you want ftth but it's still not available and you're waiting.
    Consider yourself lucky you're even going to be able to get it - that is the way I'm looking at it - if it's a year late - so what at least we're gonna have it soon enough.
    Basically build a bridge and get over it. Openeir are a private company and can do what they like when they like.
    They don't owe us anything.
    The NBP never looked further away.

you sound a very angry and uptight person - why not chill out?

you also seem to be taking it rather personally ...

do my posts upset you? it sounds like it. take it up with a moderator if your that bothered ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

do my posts upset you? it sounds like it. take it up with a moderator if your that bothered ...:rolleyes:

Poking the bear I see :)

471761.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There is some movement on the fibrerollout.ie site. On the front page where it say's 'can I get broadband,' and you enter in your phone number and eir code, well right up until 2 or 3 days ago it was still telling me 'great news second half of 2018.'

EDIT: Definitely movement on the map. Just up past those cluster of houses, I check all up that way on the map on Friday night and all houses were blue, now all showing as live map is updated to a certain extent.

Can also confirm movement on the map for my area, when the map was abandoned last May one-half of the area was coloured blue, awaiting rollout. This area was done by last summer with the map only updated to green recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

OpenEIRs own customer care (for the partners) is also using the map as reference. This has often backfired for them, because they were drawing the wrong conclusions based on the map.

So it's not unlikely that they're updating it again, which would be good.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

The copyright notice at the bottom of the FibreRollout map now says "Imagery 2019 Terrametrics" .
    Have they renewed the license for 2019 ??

There is some movement on the fibrerollout.ie site. On the front page where it say's 'can I get broadband,' and you enter in your phone number and eir code, well right up until 2 or 3 days ago it was still telling me 'great news second half of 2018.'

I just entered my details in there and it says 'Great News, Fibre broadband with speed up to 1000Mb/s is available at your address. You can order from the list of service providers here.'

Seems to be movement on the map too. About 2.5 miles from me there is 4 houses that weren't originally on the map, I know this because I spoke to one of the people who live in that cluster of houses back in November and they were disappointed. Just looked there and they have little blue house icons on their houses too.

EDIT: Definitely movement on the map. Just up past those cluster of houses, I check all up that way on the map on Friday night and all houses were blue, now all showing as live map is updated to a certain extent.

I checked the map and it said 'second half of 2018'

I get the green 'fibre live' for my address - but only VDSL FTTC is available (I reguarly check airwire checker if anyone can believed it should be that checker) - I dont know how they call it fibre live for FTTC ADSL .... unless they mean that fibre is live as far as the cabinet and the rest is done in PSTN copper

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ gives me "Fibre to the Home is not currently available at this address"

Vodafone eircode checker says gigabit is available but when I chat through their website they say its not available

very messy - I dont know how you are supposed to know if you are coming or going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

They do annoy me because they’re just noise in what was up until you joined a decent and informative thread.

Dire? Hardly? He will get it in the near future - just because he hasn't got a date doesn't mean that it's not going to happen.
    My point is still valid - all the complaining in the world on these boards will not speed it up for me or Andy.

if you dont want to complain i respect what you decide.

but it works both ways - there are those in this world that complain and there are those who dont complain always have been , always will be .. and you trying to shut me up complaining is not going to change me voicing my opinions .. but if you are happy to wait and wait and not complain then fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Time to unsubscribe from this thread.
    It was useful and interesting to monitor progress.
    It has since degenerated into a useless continual series of complaints about a single situation.

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Poking the bear I see :)

whats poking the bear? - I am not setting out to make this poster angrier , turbbo already seems to be angry at me/mo posts for some reason .. dont need no encouragement

They do annoy me because they’re just noise in what was up until you joined a decent and informative thread.

what do you want me to do then - leave the thread? leave boards? get a warning from mods just for a few posts I have written on this thread?

See how many posts have been posted in this thread ... then see how many of times I have posted in it and then weigh it up.

I shouldnt need to tell you what I do on boards but I will ... if I dont agree with something I skip past it and go to the next post I am interested in. If i think a poster is complaining too much or they are getting on my nerves ... I skip past it and move onto the next post in the thread and just read what I want to read - its not difficult and does not take any more time out of my busy life , not enough to complain or tell another poster how much their post is P1ssing me off

Mind you saying that I am replying back to you now so I suppose I am not taking my own advice .. or i am reacting to the bait if you complaining about my complaining is purposely out to get a reaction from me

its still a decent and informative thread - whether I am in it or not , what are you on about?

Ninkel wrote: »
    The copyright notice at the bottom of the FibreRollout map now says "Imagery 2019 Terrametrics" .
    Have they renewed the license for 2019 ??

No. That's automatic. Probably says the same on Google Maps.

OpenEir are just using the Google Maps API. No license involved. Just handing money to Google on an on going basis based on usage.

/M

Time to unsubscribe from this thread.
    It was useful and interesting to monitor progress.
    It has since degenerated into a useless continual series of complaints about a single situation.

thats a bit childish is it not? (not calling you childish , I mean its a childish thing to do) , and why would shoot yourself in the foot like that -

I like the very informative information on this thread and I get fed up people saying i am ruining it for them (especially when i was going on, and on about the combined ONT/wireless router and got much abuse about it , people vocally saying it was a stupid idea and that I would be degrading others network etc) but i stuck with it, I didnt leave the thread because I would be shooting myself in the foot and being silly for leaving because of that .

Naw, try and stay if you can and I will try and stop being so controversial :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Perhaps it's time we asked boards to appoint some active mods to this forum just to keep things moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,896 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I will try and stop being so controversial :)

download.jpg

If common sense by certain people having regular memory loss loss wasn't an issue ... we wouldn't have an issue.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Hi Guys
    I have a friend who for the last few months has been trying to get ftth connected, his neighbours have it , fibre is outside the gate, house beside road etc. he gets connection ability on Eirs website for ftth, just customer service is giving him the run around, saying one needs to have broadband already to get ftth, which is not true..He does a phone with Eir..wether it still is in contract or not i will know later..

Wouldn't mind but the f@cker has FTTC already - I'm on a poxy 4G wireless connection.
    If He has fttc already he wont get ftth...period..this from memory of a post in this thread ways back..

• Advertisement

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I have a friend who for the last few months has been trying to get ftth connected, his neighbours have it , fibre is outside the gate, house beside road etc. he gets connection ability on Eirs website for ftth, just customer service is giving him the run around, saying one needs to have broadband already to get ftth, which is not true..He does a phone with Eir..wether it still is in contract or not i will know later..

How many providers has he tried? If the answer is only Eir retail then he needs to try someone else.

If He has fttc already he wont get ftth...period..this from memory of a post in this thread ways back..

Both FTTC and FTTH is available at my address and many others around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi Guys

If eir don't want his business and assuming his Eircode is passing on one or more of the checkers tell him or her to go with one of the other ISPs selling the service.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108569381&postcount=6

Add Sky and Vodafone to the list in the link.

tuxy wrote: »
    How many providers has he tried? If the answer is only Eir retail then he needs to try someone else.
    He said he has tried skytel rocket, which do kilkenny now, he said they said that eir do the installation..i may have to go round to his house and get the nitty gritty..Said he wants to get tv/bb/ph... the whole lot..

Re my own area, ducting has been reconditioned to our village from the neighbouring village which has the exchange, so its started...roll on 6 months finally..

If eir don't want his business and assuming his Eircode is passing on one or more of the checkers tell him or her to go with one of the other ISPs selling the service.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108569381&postcount=6

Add Sky and Vodafone to the list in the link.
    His eircode passes for ftth, checked it myself...

He said he has tried skytel rocket, which do kilkenny now, he said they said that eir do the installation..i may have to go round to his house and get the nitty gritty..Said he wants to get tv/bb/ph... the whole lot..

He should go to one of the providers from the list that navi gave.
    Open Eir who are a different company from Eir Retail are responsible for the install. The provider he picks will be the one in contact Open Eir as they don't deal with the public one to one.
    Don't waste time with Eir retail they are a mess and are especially bad at the moment since they are under staffed.

Untrue. Maybe if he locks himself into buying of Eir retail only. But there are over 10 providers, who provide FTTH and even more that provide FTTC.

He could even get both FTTC and FTTH, no problem. Just a matter of money.

/M

His eircode passes for ftth, checked it myself...

If he wants pay TV (Sports etc) bundled with broadband it is going to limit his options to eir, Sky or Vodafone.

If not bundled he could go with any of the linked ISPs for broadband and get Sky TV separately or go for a free to air system for TV.

If he wants pay TV (Sports etc) bundled with broadband it is going to limit his options to eir, Sky or Vodafone.

If not bundled he could go with any of the linked ISPs for broadband and get Sky TV separately or go for a free to air system for TV.

If its Sports, then it's going to questionable if Eir can deliver that past the Summer. Their contract for BT Sports is ending and Sky has the exclusive contract for BT Sports now. So Eir may only have one junior league contract left at that point and no other offerings.

Vodafones TV offering is quite poor. More like the equivalent to a Free TV service.

Net1 also does FTTC/FTTH and has a TV offering.

So there is loads of choice even in that sense.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    If its Sports, then it's going to questionable if Eir can deliver that past the Summer. Their contract for BT Sports is ending and Sky has the exclusive contract for BT Sports now. So Eir may only have one junior league contract left at that point and no other offerings.

Vodafones TV offering is quite poor. More like the equivalent to a Free TV service.

Net1 also does FTTC/FTTH and has a TV offering.

So there is loads of choice even in that sense.

/M

I was more thinking of Sky Sports which would have the majority of televised Premier League football available and would be the largest driver of paid TV subscriptions in the country.

Net1 is just free to air channels as far as I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement