Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silliest infraction.

Options
  • 05-01-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭

I got what must be one of the most undeserved, silliest infractions on boards. The mod, Graham, posted that I was advocating illegal activity. The beauty here is, he doesn’t realise it is not illegal.

A poster linked to Airbnb regs in Canada and the fact that some hosts have left the site. I explained how they may be using alternative platforms.

New regs are due here in June of this year, but they have not been enacted, may not be enacted and therefore do NOT apply. It is not illegal to use other platforms.

I PM’d the mod, to point out that he jumped the gun, no response. Advocating illegal activity by discussing something which is not illegal. Crazy stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you please let me know when you PM’d the mod to discuss the infraction with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

dudara wrote: »
    Can you please let me know when you PM’d the mod to discuss the infraction with him?

Immediately after infraction received. Another poster has also pointed out to this mod and hat there is no law currently in existence about using other platforms for STL’s. The mod, Graham, is still insisting that as there has been an “announcement” about PROPOSED changes to regulations, it is wrong to discuss it.

This simply does not make sense, if something is not illegal, how can it be an infractionable offence to discuss it? It’s like the mods are now deciding what is iegal or illegal, even though the Government has not yet decided.

As you received the infraction last night, please give the mod some time to respond to you. It is the weekend after all.

If you do not have a response by this evening (24 hrs), then I will ask a CMod to review as per the next step in the process.

As you received the infraction last night, please give the mod some time to respond to you. It is the weekend after all.

If you do not have a response by this evening (24 hrs), then I will ask a CMod to review as per the next step in the process.

Mod has replied a number of times. He/she is of the opinion an announcement is the same as a law, clearly they are not the same thing.

The infracted post related to Vancouver and the reduction in properties advertised since new regs applied. My post relates to this article:

https://www.vancourier.com/real-estate/hundreds-of-vancouver-property-owners-flouting-airbnb-rules-1.23547789

Currently no such regs exist here in Ireland, how can referring to it be advocating something which is not illegal?

I will not comment on your infraction as the process is underway and it is not appropriate for me to intervene at this stage.

The mod has been in touch with me to let me know that this is still under discussion. Let’s wait for that step to complete.

• Advertisement

Any update on this, has the law been passed which would make discussion about Airbnb on boards advocating illegal activity and deserving of an infraction?

I’ll notify the CMod and remind the mods now.

5 days later, an infraction for giving legal advice/advocating illegal activity about something that isn’t illegal, and a mod who can’t tell the difference between a proposal and a law.

What is this infraction for?

Have the mods left boards as well?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies for the delay, but there was discussion taking place in the background

The mod has agreed to overturn the card, and I have just removed it from your profile

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay, but there was discussion taking place in the background

The mod has agreed to overturn the card, and I have just removed it from your profile

Thank you. Let’s hope discussing a topic which is not illegal will not result in future infractions for advocating illegal activity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement