Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

From what I've read 40 -50 minute is the norm right now, 60 - 70 is not unusual. This was the first one I've heard about that reached the 2 hour mark but perhaps it's two calls as it's not unusual for the call to drop after about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

tuxy wrote: »
    I wonder if it will actually have a big impact on their long term profit margins. As I said before the level of contempt shown to customers has gone beyond that of the other major players(who also have a poor reputation)
    It would seem their strategy is to undercut everyone with an introductory offer for new customers, this will be backed by a massive advertising campaign. Hope that only a few people will leave after the 12 month contract. Lose more people as time goes on from poor customer service and offers from competitors.
    Then back to step one, undercut everyone again, rope people back into 12 month contracts, more adverts everywhere thanks to the large marketing budget.
    Revenue at Eir fell 1 per cent in the first quarter of its financial year, dipping to €312 million as growth in its mobile and television income was offset by falling access, managed services, and operator services revenues.
    But the company said earnings before interest, taxation, depreciation and amortisation rose 11 per cent year on year to €138 million as the company cuts its costs and saw more people sign up to its high speed broadband services.
    Eir said operating costs fell 12 per cent, or €13 million, to €108 million in the period.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-revenue-falls-1-in-first-quarter-but-cost-cutting-pays-off-1.3696128

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Imagine being on the phone for two hours waiting to talk to someone. I'd just give up out of principal and try to find a way to go over their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I wonder what the record time for being on hold is? I managed two one hour calls myself recently and it looks like I'll have to call again in the next few days.

If you're on a mobile phone (at least with Three) they'll disconnect your call (to any number) after 2 hours automatically. On the button :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I got my FTTH installed today - 146 download, 29.3 upload. So much faster than what I was used to. Delighted with it.

3 People I would like to thank - MartinL (of Airwire): only for their website, I would not even have known that FTTH had become available. I am sorry I could not go with Airwire, but their phone offer did not suit my particular needs.

Also, thanks to the contributions of Navi and Marlow, I had the preparatory work done, so the installation went smoothly this morning.

Thanks again, people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

Wired on a 150 connection.

Router reset a couple of times.

7797155481.png

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

oleras wrote: »
    Wired on a 150 connection.

Router reset a couple of times.

7797155481.png

Exactly the same thing just happened to me, came here to try to find a solution.

In Limerick 150 ftth, just have to wait I guess.......

If both of you are in Limerick then it may be an issue at one of the exchanges. I'm not too far from Limerick and all is fine here.

Exactly the same thing just happened to me, came here to try to find a solution.

In Limerick 150 ftth, just have to wait I guess.......

Good to know it's not just me then, the upload speed pointed to a supply issue more than a local one on my end.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

OpenEIR have a fibre break on the Effin exchange, which should be resolved around 23:00. It affects all services.

So if the two of you are on that exchange, then that's the problem right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

_sheep wrote: »
    My friend next door that had ordered from Eir, who had his install date before mine still doesn't have his. Someone called him the morning of his install to say there was a problem with his order (eircode or something) and he would get a call later in the week when it was resolved.

Yep, they're sales (new guys) dept has gotten even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

thats interesting about the 'fibre break' - if that happens you still get some speed then is it? albeit a huge reduction?

also why does the upload speed not suffer in that instance?

Using some backup link and there is far more demand from users on the exchange for download than there is for upload?

If the exchange has problems then consider very few people are uploading vs downloading so your upload speed remains pretty much unaffected (when doing a speed test) vs everyone trying to download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

OpenEIR have a fibre break on the Effin exchange, which should be resolved around 23:00. It affects all services.

No need to be rude Martin!
    F'in exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

F'in exchange

:D

Patrickswell exchange. Still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

iOS users take note. F2000. Tested on 3 F2000 routers I have access to.

Hold off on that iOS update if you can. I’ve got an iPhone XS and it keeps losing connectivity constantly to F2000. It’s doing the same too on my iPhone X and 8, and tested it on a 7. Normally max speed through 5Ghz WiFi is 245mb/250mb on most iOS devices through WiFi. Since I updated the other day. 100mb if beside the router and lucky oh and connection drops even though your broadband is perfectly fine. Working normally on other devices s9 etc. Dug out older devices a 5, 5s 6 iPad mini etc all with iOS 9, 10, 11. Its giving no trouble on these.

Seems to be iOS and not the F2000 here

Talk to OpenEIR about that. I'm not local enough to know the area. They have it down as Effin (EFI).

But it is uncanny.

iOS users take note. F2000. Tested on 3 F2000 routers I have access to.

Hold off on that iOS update if you can. I’ve got an iPhone XS and it keeps losing connectivity constantly to F2000. It’s doing the same too on my iPhone X and 8, and tested it on a 7. Normally max speed through 5Ghz WiFi is 245mb/250mb on most iOS devices through WiFi. Since I updated the other day. 100mb if beside the router and lucky oh and connection drops even though your broadband is perfectly fine. Working normally on other devices s9 etc. Dug out older devices a 5, 5s 6 iPad mini etc all with iOS 9, 10, 11. Its giving no trouble on these.

Seems to be iOS and not the F2000 here

Forget the network and relogin to it

• Advertisement

Talk to OpenEIR about that. I'm not local enough to know the area. They have it down as Effin (EFI).

But it is uncanny.

It was a bad joke. Some people when they don't want to say ****in' would say effin (F'in).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It was a bad joke. Some people when they don't want to say ****in' would say effin (F'in).

People on that exchange probably a lot .. tonight.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    People on that exchange probably a lot .. tonight.

/M

No doubt. Lucky they closed the Talk To forum!

https://youtu.be/XLTnacYvvg4?t=70

tuxy wrote: »

Good man tuxy. You share my childish sense of humour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Jees, Martins even doing eirs job and updating customers on the cause of their outages! :D

chris_ie wrote: »
    Jees, Martins even doing eirs job and updating customers on the cause of their outages! :D

Ah well .. besides that. Issue is still ongoing. Fix is pushed mid day.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Kilcock exchange is down as kok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Airwire found an issue with mine as well but had it resolved before they gave me an install date, I'm guessing my friend next door needed the same fix but Eir didnt pick it up as quick?

Mate has had to re-order his fiber after spending hours on hold trying to find out what was going on, so hes starting the whole process again - would be funny if it wasn't such a common occurrence from what i read. Only for hes stuck in a landline/mobile contract they would have lost his business, bet thats true for thousands of people at the moment....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Mate has had to re-order his fiber after spending hours on hold trying to find out what was going on, so hes starting the whole process again - would be funny if it wasn't such a common occurrence from what i read. Only for hes stuck in a landline/mobile contract they would have lost his business, bet thats true for thousands of people at the moment....

On the first FTTH install that I had to go through I reordered 4 times in total.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement