Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

pjohnson wrote: »
    The right CB solves this easily.

No the right CB does not stop this. He does not stop poor team shape retention and proper drills for the entire team to deal with counters. How could you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Was listening to the United We Stand podcast and they thought Jose put Herrera CB to make a point to the board about needing a defender.

If that is anyway true then shame on Jose. Yes we need a defender or 2 but don't be pulling stunts like that in games that matter.

Diego Dalot is making his debut in the u23s game tonight vs Stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Was listening to the United We Stand podcast and they thought Jose put Herrera CB to make a point to the board about needing a defender.

If that is anyway true then shame on Jose. Yes we need a defender or 2 but don't be pulling stunts like that in games that matter.

I don’t think that at all, I thought it was to keep him close to Moura, a half type man marking job.. he was closing him down really quick until he was booked

astradave wrote: »
    I don’t think that at all, I thought it was to keep him close to Moura, a half type man marking job.. he was closing him down really quick until he was booked

The booking killed his game in fairness..... I'm not against using him like that for tactical reasons but I would be against it though if it was done as a message to the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭paulbok

FFS - you bang on about Jose apologists but you are just as bad. Everything is his fault according to you.

I'm absolutely fed up with the inability of people to apportion blame to more than one thing.

The board have failed Jose, Jose has failed the player and the board, the players have failed Jose and the board.

There is plenty of blame to go around and plenty of people deserving plenty of blame for plenty of things.

Don't absolve any of them of their part to play in this mess.

Are the players playing to their best? No.
    Are all the players of sufficient quality? No.
    Is Jose getting the best out of our quality players? No.
    Is the board backing him to replace the players he deemed not good enough? No (this summer more so than previous summers).
    Has Jose been unquestionable in the transfer market? No.
    Should we persist with poorly performing players for the duration of their contract cause we spent good money on them? No.
    Have United as a club demonstrated it is working to a long term strategy? No.
    Are the structures in place to have United running as best as they can on the football pitch? No.

If Jose was sacked in the morning would it be without merit? No, imo it would not be because of failures that are all his own.
    If a new manager came in tomorrow morning would it fix everything? No, imo it would not becaure there are too many players that are simply not good enough and need to be replaced, regardless of who the manager is.

The idea that Jose is blameless is idiotic, but so is the idea that it is all on him. He has won the title 3 times in England. He has won the title in Portugal and Spain and Italy. He has won the CL twice. He hasn't suddenly become the worst manager ever. He isn't suddenly a moron. There are more factors in United not doing well than just Jose.

Mitch for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Tis great to see Ed being hands on, getting down and dirty and getting the tracksuit on.

This is what it's all about...don't mind your Forbes lists :pac::D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rossi IRL wrote: »

It was tactical imo but it was certainly in keeping with how he has used Herrera for special tasks before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

CMod note:

It has come to my attention that this thread is attracting more than it's fair share of trolling.

It has to stop.

Any pot-shots or derogatory remarks will be dealt with harshly.

I will be monitoring reported posts from time to time so troll at your peril.

Think of the Dirty harry scene before you post - "you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Thanks for reading.

• Some good news; (I'm delighted for Shaw, hope he keeps going now this Season)

Jose on Shaw

"It's a big week for him that hangs on a very important match with Burnley," Mourinho said of the 23-year-old left-back.

"He's played three very good matches and that's not easy to do when your team loses two of them. He had that balance and consistency, especially against Brighton in a bad team performance.

"If next week his manager decides to give him minutes against Spain or Switzerland that would be very good for him. At the minute, that's a result of the hard work he and the coaches have done.

"A proper player is a player of consistency. He's mentally and physically stronger and tactically he has a better understanding.

"We are very, very happy with him. To the national team after three Premier League matches is extraordinary for him."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Some good news; (I'm delighted for Shaw, hope he keeps going now this Season)

Jose on Shaw

"It's a big week for him that hangs on a very important match with Burnley," Mourinho said of the 23-year-old left-back.

"He's played three very good matches and that's not easy to do when your team loses two of them. He had that balance and consistency, especially against Brighton in a bad team performance.

"If next week his manager decides to give him minutes against Spain or Switzerland that would be very good for him. At the minute, that's a result of the hard work he and the coaches have done.

"A proper player is a player of consistency. He's mentally and physically stronger and tactically he has a better understanding.

"We are very, very happy with him. To the national team after three Premier League matches is extraordinary for him."

He's been very good - arguably our best performer so far. Makes that melt down in here during the summer over that holiday picture seem even more ridiculous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Some good news; (I'm delighted for Shaw, hope he keeps going now this Season)

Jose on Shaw

I’m happy for Shaw, if a little surprised he has gotten back on side with Jose.
    Just goes to show that all bridges are not permanently burnt no matter how much pissing about you’ve been doing. Knuckle down and get back on track and you’ll get back into his plans. There’s one or two others that could take note.

• He's been very good - arguably our best performer so far. Makes that melt down in here during the summer over that holiday picture seem even more ridiculous now.

The show of support from Jose can only help him. I'm happy with Jose on that particular aspect.

I think if Shaw nails down the left side it at least takes that issue out of the equation.

Concentrating now on CB and RB replacements with a possible winger.
    I know January is far away but if Utd are going to back Jose then let him have another pop at buy / sell in the next window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

After shaws redemption maybe we’ll be all be in here in a few months having the same conversation about martial and his amazing turnaround in form and Jose singing his praises after every game

• how.gareth wrote: »
    After shaws redemption maybe we’ll be all be in here in a few months having the same conversation about martial and his amazing turnaround in form and Jose singing his praises after every game

One can hope! Keep the faith brothers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Delighted for Shaw(and more importantly Utd) as I was convinced he was gone in the summer and there was no way back for him.

Having said that, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It’s been three games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just shows the amount of bul**** that does be reported and that Jose was forcing him out of the club. Really hope it continues for him now.

• adox wrote: »
    Delighted for Shaw(and more importantly Utd) as I was convinced he was gone in the summer and there was no way back for him.

Having said that, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It’s been three games.

And that's the thing. I'm gonna stay level headed in relation to it. If he keeps it up for a few months then it will be real reason to be excited about his future.

He's been very good - arguably our best performer so far. Makes that melt down in here during the summer over that holiday picture seem even more ridiculous now.

Yes your dead right donkey well said his good form now means that he wasn't overweight while on holidays its actually funny how form and comments from a manager can effect a photograph taken a couple months prior but it really does I totally agree with you I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fair play to Shaw, he is doing what is asked of him and that is all anybody can do.

I'm still not considering him reliable or worthy until he gives the club 30/40 games of a consistent high quality. I won't consider the matter closed until he has given the club 2/3 seasons of being one of the best LB's in the Premier league.

The issue with Shaw has always been his application and consistency over the longer term so I'm sorry, but 3 games just isn't enough to wash away all sins.

Keep it up and I'll happily eat hats and give praise, but not just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Quandary

I've been delighted with Shaw so far this season. His resurgence so far is an example to everyone who finds themselves out of favour or form. If a player wants it bad enough and is actually prepared to put the work in and not just say they will then the form and confidence will almost always come back. After the couple of poor years he's had it would be amazing if he could recapture and maintain his Southampton form and consistency for us. What an asset he could be!

IFDalot can get off to a good start now it would seriously help our overall play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Also vindication on the boards behalf telling jose to use shaw more instead of splashing out 50m on a new lb

If Shaw is so marvel, why spend all summer and last winter trying for replacement?

• Ah, the Friday night buzz kill

Fair play to Jose for pushing shaw so hard to reach his potential first manager to do so as well what a guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    Also vindication on the boards behalf telling jose to use shaw more instead of splashing out 50m on a new lb

And complete and total vindication of Jose's management and handling of Shaw too, which I suppose is a surprise to you considering how vocal you were about how badly Jose was handing him.

Total vindication.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

because it was obvious that after 4 seasons of inconsistency and being crap a lot, it was obvious that he would do well in season five. And sure three games is ample time to make a call that you were right based on a hunch.

I guess Lukaku is rubbish. Rashford is rubbish. Fred is poor. They've not done well in the opening three games. Thats the timeframe we need for a decision, yeah?

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Where did you get this info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

c53.gif

• Advertisement

because it was obvious that after 4 seasons of inconsistency and being crap a lot, it was obvious that he would do well in season five. And sure three games is ample time to make a call that you were right based on a hunch.

I guess Lukaku is rubbish. Rashford is rubbish. Fred is poor. They've not done well in the opening three games. Thats the timeframe we need for a decision, yeah?

FFS.

4 years of crap?

Did you forget he had a double leg fracture and couldnt even walk for 6 months of that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

4 years of crap?

Did you forget he had a double leg fracture and couldnt even walk for 6 months of that??

3 years do?

Thank God for Jose Mourinho and how he handled Shaw, vindication for his methods. Undeniable vindication, and you can see how much Shaw really admires Mourinho and how close they have become.

Class man management.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

FFS.

4 years of crap?

He played well in the games leading up to his leg break. So probably around 10 games in total where he's been good in his time at Utd so I won't be getting ahead of myself anyway. Let him concentrate on cementing a place in the 11 and give him the season to judge him

3 years do?

Thank God for Jose Mourinho and how he handled Shaw, vindication for his methods. Undeniable vindication, and you can see how much Shaw really admires Mourinho and how close they have become.

Class man management.

6 months of being barely able to walk.

Probably another 9 months to a year to get back to full training and then another few months to get over the mental issue of a leg break. Niggley injuries then after that as what usually happens.

Yeah you’re right and those CBs totally vindicated the boards decision too.

Go board. Who needs a manager anyway.

Great season. Can’t wait for the next one.

adox wrote: »
    Yeah you’re right and those CBs totally vindicated the boards decision too.

Go board. Who needs a manager anyway.

Great season. Can’t wait for the next one.

Interested in signing harry maguire...would have been an instant upgrade on our defence and majority in here didnt even want him!!!!

• Advertisement

Probably another 9 months to a year to get back to full training and then another few months to get over the mental issue of a leg break. Niggley injuries then after that as what usually happens.

So the above narrative would totally vindicate Jose’s decisions not to play him.

Go Jose.

Luke Shaw returned to full training in April 2016.

That was 2 years and 5 months ago, to save you counting your fingers. It was also 8 months after the leg break, not the 6+9 months you seem to think.

That was 2 years and 5 months ago, to save you counting your fingers. It was also 8 months after the leg break, not the 6+9 months you seem to think.

Ah yea sure he was grand straight away. No mental scars or other little injuries that happen after being out for so long

He knew he was wrong that's why he put in probably it leaves room for the goalposts to move around.

adox wrote: »
    So the above narrative would totally vindicate Jose’s decisions not to play him.

Go Jose.

He played when young was suspended. Got 2 motm awards and wasnt seen again.

• Advertisement

Ah yea sure he was grand straight away. No mental scars or other little injuries that happen after being out for so long

You accounted for that, remember?
    and then another few months to get over the mental issue of a leg break

But before that you said:

Probably another 9 months to a year to get back to full training
    Do you remember when you said that just minutes ago?

6 months plus 9 months. Thats 15 months. He was actually back in 8 months.

No need to thank me, I always like to help people with their counting.

jayo26 wrote: »
    He knew he was wrong that's why he put in probably it leaves room for the goalposts to move around.

No i wasnt wrong.

He didnt return to full training on that date

You accounted for that, remember?

But before that you said:
    Do you remember when you said that just minutes ago?

6 months plus 9 months. Thats 15 months. He was actually back in 8 months.

No need to thank me, I always like to help people with their counting.

He wasnt back full training after 8 months

He wasnt back full training after 8 months

Stand clear ladies and gentlemen, goalposts coming through...

Stand clear ladies and gentlemen, goalposts coming through...

Goalposts me arse, you said he was back to full training then.

Its a fact he wasnt

6 months barely able to walk, 9 months to a year to get back training, add a few more months for taste and mental issues. Say 20months all told, sound about right for Bangkoks dream world?

20 months from his September 2015 injury, that would put Shaw back in the mix April 2017, right?

Its just strange is all, because he had come back and played about 16 first team games for United by that point.

6 months barely able to walk, 9 months to a year to get back training, add a few more months for taste and mental issues. Say 20months all told, sound about right for Bangkoks dream world?

20 months from his September 2015 injury, that would put Shaw back in the mix April 2017, right?

Its just strange is all, because he had come back and played about 16 first team games for United by that point.

And you said i moved goalposts!!!

You said full training in april 16.

You were wrong.

100% wrong

No I'm not.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well that's all about he was back training after 7 months? So you're arguing against yourself with that one

Plus it's just the opinion of someone who had a similar injury, not a technical breakdown of the actual training he was doing as you know, it's behind closed doors mostly. As far as it was reported, he was back in training with the first team, which is what many would define as full training.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement