Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Immersion controller thread!

Options
  • 08-04-2018 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

i'm interested in getting remote access to my Immersion and I've seen the brief thread on the FSTWifi Wifi controlled fused spur FSTWifi
    Some of the feedback I've read on it include firewall issues in getting it to connect to wifi - has anyone experience of setting one of these up and using it day to day that they can report on? As we mostly use the 2kW element of our immersion, I can't see it only being 13A as an issue - and the manufacturer lists it as 3kW capable

I've also come across the following OP-SBWF01 and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of it either? I like that it is rated 16A and also that it has an Alexa skill available, what I don't like is that the app requires registration of mobile number to us it.

I know both of these are expensive when compared to coming up with my own Sonoff type solution but I like how neat and tidy both of the above are - basically a straight swap for the current APT IMM24.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Hi

I installed one of the FSTWifi units mentioned above about 6 weeks ago

Replaced a digital timer with the same physical footprint

Bought it from Amazon so I could send it back if it didn't work

No problems so far...4 of us have remote access and its mainly used for turning on the immersion at boost at short notice..

I also have a daily/weekly schedule set up as standard

It is relying on timeguard not to go out of business or start charging you a fee and thats the risk you take. For basic security reasons I wouldn't use a password I was using anywhere else. just in case..

Eircom router in this house F1000 I think is the model number

I just followed the instructions that came with the switch...and luckily it worked first time.

fasterbetter

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Thanks for that fasterbetter,

After looking around and not really finding any info on the Tower Optimum OP-SBWF01 I said I'd take a punt and see how it worked out - in the national interest and all of that :p

Installed it yesterday and it was very simple to install/setup. It's gone in as a straight replacement for an APT Imm24 time clock, with the only wiring difference being you have to bridge two connectors in the OP-SBWF01 to power it.

Once powered on and in connect mode (long press of the only button on it) all control is then from the app to set up. It found it within a minute and connected to wifi straight away - you set it up as an electrical outlet but can rename it.

It was up and running within minutes and the 7-day time schedule is very easy to set up. Can manually turn it on/off by hitting the button on it, or via the app.

Once I was happy with that, I moved on to getting Alexa working - it's the usual straight forward addition of a skill and search for smart devices. I had imaginatively renamed my switch with the label 'Immersion' during setup and Alexa picked it up straight away.

The skill works perfectly - there's something quite satisfying about being able to tell Alexa to turn on/off the Immersion!
    (can now blame her too if it ever gets left on :D )

It obviously doesn't control the switch between sink/bath but we only switch to bath on the odd occasion as the sink element heats enough for showers and general use when we need it so it's not something I was looking to do anyway and this can still be done manually.

First impressions are very good, with very straight forward set-up. Only time will tell if it was a reliable choice!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm torn between these two now... I was set on the FSTWiFi, but it being 13AMP is not ideal and it doesn't store it's schedule on the device meaning wifi dying or other devices not working creates a problem.

The OP-SBWF01 looks good to me, 16AMPs and perhaps more reliable in network outage cases. But the above is the only review I've seen.

How have you guys faired since installing? All still good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I have the Tower Optimum OP-SBWF01. Have it installed a couple of months now. Works perfectly with Alexa. Very happy with it. Although I sould add that I use it to control my combi boiler ( I don't have an immersion). The only issue I have is with my Virgin broadband causing loss of signal from time to time. I have an old UPC modem that I really should have upgraded but Im not sure about the virgin hub tbh

While at the PTSB ideal home show I saw THIS and thought that it looked like a great idea. It replaces your immersion switch and with it's sensor that's attached to the side of the cylinder it can tell you your temp, turn your immersion on until it's hot enough, work as a timer and be controlled remotely.

All seemed like a great idea but way too pricey atm, I think he said it was €180 but I can't really rememeber

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have the Tower Optimum OP-SBWF01. Have it installed a couple of months now. Works perfectly with Alexa. Very happy with it. Although I sould add that I use it to control my combi boiler ( I don't have an immersion). The only issue I have is with my Virgin broadband causing loss of signal from time to time. I have an old UPC modem that I really should have upgraded but Im not sure about the virgin hub tbh

While at the PTSB ideal home show I saw THIS and thought that it looked like a great idea. It replaces your immersion switch and with it's sensor that's attached to the side of the cylinder it can tell you your temp, turn your immersion on until it's hot enough, work as a timer and be controlled remotely.

All seemed like a great idea but way too pricey atm, I think he said it was €180 but I can't really rememeber

Thanks for that!

I think that option is too expensive as well. It looks pretty, but mine will sit in the hotpress hidden and for the most part not touched.

As for your WiFi, would you not consider buying a standalone router? Cable it as an access point and disable the UPC wifi. Most stand alone wifi routers would have much better range than the old UPC stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

As for your WiFi, would you not consider buying a standalone router? Cable it as an access point and disable the UPC wifi. Most stand alone wifi routers would have much better range than the old UPC stuff.

Yeah I've that on my to do list. Just have to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I'm torn between these two now... I was set on the FSTWiFi, but it being 13AMP is not ideal and it doesn't store it's schedule on the device meaning wifi dying or other devices not working creates a problem.

The OP-SBWF01 looks good to me, 16AMPs and perhaps more reliable in network outage cases. But the above is the only review I've seen.

How have you guys faired since installing? All still good?

Absolutely no problems with it here since install.
    Haven't had any major broadband outage so don't know if schedule would be affected by one - am happy to try any tests you care to suggest!

There are some videos on the UK distributors website that might be of interest
    here.

Advertisement