Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric vehicle owners to get reduced tolls, says Naughten

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The meat of the article as it relates to us:
    During 2018, a new grant to support installation of home charger points for buyers of new and second-hand electric vehicles would be rolled out, and incentives for the adoption of electric taxis. The public charging network would be expanded including the number of “rapid chargers”. Electric vehicle owners would also benefit from reduced road tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Reduced tolls only really caters those around Dublin really.

Remove motor tax would benefit all EV owners.

Soarer wrote: »

Sure... but how many people are going to move to EV for the extra €120 and the good PR vs. a commuter in Dublin paying €2k+/year in tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is such an insane thought process around motor tax here, motor tax one would be good option!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Macker

Will the grant be retrospective if you get one installed before Christmas for a january delivery?

Fixed the dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Should be free tolls and free motor tax if they want to attract the "I will buy the car because it has cheapppp tax above all else" folk to electric vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

cros13 wrote: »
    Sure... but how many people are going to move to EV for the extra €120 and the good PR vs. a commuter in Dublin paying €2k+/year in tolls.

Never underestimate the effect of the chape tax on the Irish psyche. Jaysus there’d be serious bragging rights at the local watering hole. Tolls.....shure who cares.....they’re only a couple of yoyos a go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Should be free tolls and free motor tax if they want to attract the "I will buy the car because it has cheapppp tax above all else" folk to electric vehicles.
    Free tolls would Save many of my colleagues 25 Euro a week on M50 tolls. That’s like a 2,500 pay rise ( on the basis 50% is taxed)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limerick tunnel users could save money here as well. Commuting anywhere west of the Shannon to Raheen/UL requires the use of the tunnel. A 10km commute from Cratloe to Raheen requires €3.80 a day in tolls.

Places like Navan, Enfield, Drogheda to south Dublin too. 2-3 tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I can't imagine the will give more than 33% off tolls, although I would love more ;).

Anybody any idea on when exactly the charger roll-out will start and when we can expect the cheaper tolls from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

CHape tax was enough for people to switch to diesel in their droves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Idbatterim wrote: »
    CHape tax was enough for people to switch to diesel in their droves

True, but the savings were huge with that switch. Going from close to €1000 for a big engined diesel to about €200 for “clean” diesel is a much more attractive reduction than €200 down to €120 at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Quote:
    During 2018, a new grant to support installation of home charger points for buyers of new and second-hand electric vehicles would be rolled out, and incentives for the adoption of electric taxis. The public charging network would be expanded including the number of “rapid chargers”. Electric vehicle owners would also benefit from reduced road tolls.

More taxis clogging up the FCPs is all we need, bad enough with the Teslas hogging all the CPs in Sandyford

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Quote:

More taxis clogging up the FCPs is all we need, bad enough with the Teslas hogging all the CPs in Sandyford

Indeed. Saw an abandoned taxi at a Cork FCP earlier in the week. The charger said it was plugged in 8mins and was at 81%!!!!

marno21 wrote: »
    Limerick tunnel users could save money here as well. Commuting anywhere west of the Shannon to Raheen/UL requires the use of the tunnel. A 10km commute from Cratloe to Raheen requires €3.80 a day in tolls.

Places like Navan, Enfield, Drogheda to south Dublin too. 2-3 tolls.

It will probably only apply to the government owned tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Should be free motor tax and free nationwide tolls. Cost about €200 per car per year. Finance this by taking €1k off the €10k subsidy for new EVs

Costs nothing to the tax payer and will drive people to EVs by the thousands :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Soarer wrote: »

Really the target for electric cars should be in the larger cities as this has the highest concentration of pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/electric-car-owners-will-not-have-to-pay-tolls-465136.html

And he expects 1200 or so BEV's to be registered in 2018 which isn't very ambitious since we had 621 new EV's and 447 imports in 2017 so thats basically flat growth! It will surely be much better than that since it already about doubled from 2016 to 2017!

Im sure there will be a lot of happy M50 users though if he does implement free tolls on that. Thats worth a lot if you are a daily user both ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I used to commute from Rush to Sandyford 5 days a week. Between tolls and petrol, you'd be a long way towards paying off a new Ioniq or Leaf without coughing up any extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I wonder will they have this integrated with the toll tags. Woukd be a right pain in the butt if we got free M50 tolls, but had to remove the tag every time you pass through the toll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,737 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

goz83 wrote: »
    I wonder will they have this integrated with the toll tags. Woukd be a right pain in the butt if we got free M50 tolls, but had to remove the tag every time you pass through the toll.
    I imagine the rate would be set to 0.00 for EV, probably by creating a new class based on the fuel type in the VLC. Same as they do for commercial, LCV, Bus etc.

unkel wrote: »
    Should be free motor tax and free nationwide tolls. Cost about €200 per car per year. Finance this by taking €1k off the €10k subsidy for new EVs

Costs nothing to the tax payer and will drive people to EVs by the thousands :p
    M50
    2.10*2*5=euro 21 per week
    East link
    1.40*2*5= 14 p/w
    tunnel
    3.00*2*5=30 p/w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The tunnel is 10 each trip at peak...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ELM327 wrote: »
    I imagine the rate would be set to 0.00 for EV, probably by creating a new class based on the fuel type in the VLC. Same as they do for commercial, LCV, Bus etc.

They already have a zero class which is used for disabled drivers/passengers vehicles, and is based on the reg number.

No tags etc needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,737 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They already have a zero class which is used for disabled drivers/passengers vehicles, and is based on the reg number.

No tags etc needed.

The previous poster was referring to EV drivers (like myself I may add) who already have toll tags.

beauf wrote: »
    The tunnel is 10 each trip at peak...

My toll bill is 80 to 110 per month, only use tunnel at 3 euro

Advertisement